TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any advice how to beat Pre AC nerves … feeling quite sick and anxious about one in two hours. My Pre-interview anxiety has led me to cancel a previous AC and I just want to get through it aghhh
Is it in person or virtual?

I found that prepping till an hour before and then going for a walk helps me - I'm Muslim so I listen to passages of the Quran on my mobile just before an AC / interview this helps my nerves, as its in Arabic it means that I cognitively can distance myself from the AC.

But if I didn't listen to verses of the Quran - I would listen to a song that gives me good vibes and makes me feel like I'm the sh*t and can smash through anything on repeat beforehand.

The 15 minutes before a virtual one I would make sure I have everything set up and then do start jumps or something to get the nervous energy out - and positive endorphins in - that being said only a couple or have a towel near by as you don't want to be sweaty on AC haha.

BUT ALSO REMEMBER THEY INVITED YOU FOR A REASON - TECHNICALLY THEY'VE SEEN THAT YOU COULD BE A LAWYER AT THE FIRM FROM YOUR APP - THEY JUST WANT YOU TO DEMONSTRATE IT...

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022

I found that prepping till an hour before and then going for a walk helps me - I'm Muslim so I listen to passages of the Quran on my mobile just before an AC / interview this helps my nerves, as its in Arabic it means that I cognitively can distance myself from the AC.

But if I didn't listen to verses of the Quran - I would listen to a song that gives me good vibes and makes me feel like I'm the sh*t and can smash through anything on repeat beforehand.

The 15 minutes before a virtual one I would make sure I have everything set up and then do start jumps or something to get the nervous energy out - and positive endorphins in - that being said only a couple or have a towel near by as you don't want to be sweaty on AC haha.
    Thank you so much - this is really helpful. Am definitely going to listen to a song!

it is virtual :)

BUT ALSO REMEMBER THEY INVITED YOU FOR A REASON - TECHNICALLY THEY'VE SEEN THAT YOU COULD BE A LAWYER AT THE FIRM FROM YOUR APP - THEY JUST WANT YOU TO DEMONSTRATE IT...
    then long term - I could not recommend How to be confident by James Smith enough - it really helped me with perspective and understand a bit more about confidence / nerves and how to tackle them

hopefulfuturetrainee24

Jan 17, 2023
    Anyone have any advice how to beat Pre AC nerves … feeling quite sick and anxious about one in two hours. My Pre-interview anxiety has led me to cancel a previous AC and I just want to get through it aghhh
    Aw that is such a shame that you had to cancel one. I’d say what works for me is pep talking myself before the AC. People don’t get to the AC if they are not competent for the job. Congratulate yourself on getting this far and know you CAN do it. You have prepared for this and you are more than capable. I also agree with the above reply that if you arrive really early into the area , listen to some good songs, play a game on your phone and distract yourself before you go in. Then just go for it when you’re in there, you won’t ever know if you don’t try! Also remember everyone else there is probably super super nervous too!

HopefulLawyer_x

Star Member
  • Oct 26, 2022
    Sorry to keep asking but is anyone still waiting on HL SVS? Do they give out AC’s all at once or staggered bc I’ve only seen a couple of people that have been given AC’s..

I did (and passed) the Watson glaser after applying to HL Lift off and they said I didn’t need to redo it - starting to wonder if they even put my app through post WG 😭

• 🤝
    Reactions: aniraz, HLL and aishaslm

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    Thank you so much - this is really helpful. Am definitely going to listen to a song!

it is virtual :)

hiya! congrats on getting through to AC!! that in itself is such a feat :)

Perhaps a slightly unconventional one... but one thing that has really helped me is sticking a photo right next to the webcam of myself smiling around loved ones 😅 I found myself feeling a little more relaxed, having a constant reminder of better, less stressful times right in front of me + it also reminds me to SMILE more because i tend to frown a lot when I'm concentrating haha 😅

Sarah T

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 9, 2020
    I would say two things:

First, getting to the interview is really hard and they have seen in you the qualities and skills that they want. The outcome of an AC is potentially getting an offer - they have put you into the AC as they WANT you to do well and WANT to make you that offer (provided you show them on the day the same skills and attributes).

Second, breathing exercises have helped me. A good one is called box breathing explained here https://www.webmd.com/balance/what-is-box-breathing. Basically you breathe in for a count of 4....hold your breath for a count of 4 ...breathe out for a count of 4 and rest for a count of 4. You repeat this until you feel completely calm.

It's helped me and I have had similar experiences to what you describe. I initially did this for 15 minutes but got it down to 5 minutes after practice.

• Love
    Reactions: lik0401
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.