Not open for further replies.

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Hi all: sorry for the new account but many of you know who I am through our discussions over the years. Also sorry for long post :oops:

I completed a first year scheme last year with an MC firm and got offered TC after the scheme interview which had an extended signing period to allow us to explore options. I continued to apply to a number of firms as I was not sure exactly what I wanted to do or if I would be suited better at a smaller intake firm. Having interviewed at a couple of firms and explored open days and events, I decided to sign and accept my TC at the beginning of January. I then withdrew my application from all other firms as is required. However, a well known private equity firm that I had withdrawn from called me a few weeks later to ask me whether I would consider reneging on my TC and very heavily implied that they would offer me a direct TC.
    I found this really inappropriate because of the implication that I (and I assume others) could be fasttracked through a process which is supposed to be transparent and fair. Call me naive but I did not consider that this happens in this day and age.
    I think this needs reporting but I do not know who to. Does anyone know if this is against regulations or rules? If so where can I find them?
    If this has happened to others I would be really interested in hearing by DM.
    I respect you 🙏

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hi all: sorry for the new account but many of you know who I am through our discussions over the years. Also sorry for long post :oops:

I completed a first year scheme last year with an MC firm and got offered TC after the scheme interview which had an extended signing period to allow us to explore options. I continued to apply to a number of firms as I was not sure exactly what I wanted to do or if I would be suited better at a smaller intake firm. Having interviewed at a couple of firms and explored open days and events, I decided to sign and accept my TC at the beginning of January. I then withdrew my application from all other firms as is required. However, a well known private equity firm that I had withdrawn from called me a few weeks later to ask me whether I would consider reneging on my TC and very heavily implied that they would offer me a direct TC.
    I found this really inappropriate because of the implication that I (and I assume others) could be fasttracked through a process which is supposed to be transparent and fair. Call me naive but I did not consider that this happens in this day and age.
    I think this needs reporting but I do not know who to. Does anyone know if this is against regulations or rules? If so where can I find them?
    Unfortunately, back door offers still happen in this competitive industry. I also know people who have been offered VSs and TCs without fully going through the process.

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    so one official Travers interview - has anyone else heard from them?

I'm 85% sure its a pfo because I stupidly only wrote 350 words (used other successful apps as a guide), but I managed to pack a lot into that space and I do think it wasn't a bad attempt....ugh god this cycle is really killing me

• 🤝
    Reactions: Uvaia and Autotunedbird

alexchristos

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2022
    so one official Travers interview - has anyone else heard from them?

I'm 85% sure its a pfo because I stupidly only wrote 350 words (used other successful apps as a guide), but I managed to pack a lot into that space and I do think it wasn't a bad attempt....ugh god this cycle is really killing me
    I've only seen two other interview posts this cycle so I wouldn't assume PFO just yet - it all seems very quiet so far but I've heard to wait up until April to hear back from Travers

• 🤝
    Reactions: Phoebe123451

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

There is nothing stopping firms from doing this - it happens in the general job market a fair amount.

There are no rules or regulations - just a code of “best recruitment practice” that no one sticks to (including the firm who made you an offer in your first year, which also is against the terms of the code).

You can find the code here: https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topic...ry-code-of-recruitment-for-trainee-solicitors

The code is completely voluntary though so there are absolutely no implications for the firms or individual candidates if they don’t stick to it.

Reactions: newtothis
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.