TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

NadineBusty

Valued Member
Aug 21, 2019
CMS academy offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

I hope everyone gets a call too. All other candidates should hear tomorrow via e-mail

Happy Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Spring, yes. I did it on the 13th Feb, naturally refreshing my emails every second!

I have a feeling we will hear after the deadline for the latest batch of VIs for the Spring VS which was the 19th for me. This is so that everyone they invited can complete it and then they need time to review it.

Therefore, I am guessing we will hear back sometime next week if successful. However, this is just me guessing!

Just for reference, I completed mine yesterday so the 15th.

Noodles

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 16, 2023
    I have a feeling we will hear after the deadline for the latest batch of VIs for the Spring VS which was the 19th for me. This is so that everyone they invited can complete it and then they need time to review it.

Therefore, I am guessing we will hear back sometime next week if successful. However, this is just me guessing!

Just for reference, I completed mine yesterday so the 15th.
    Very possible that they're just waiting for a few more in, just the email they sent saying they'd review completed assessments on a rolling basis has me waiting for a response!

Reactions: Ali A

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    when asked to review a recent news article in an interview, should the sole focus of your discussion be on what the article says itself and its implications or can you take a broader perspective on the issue and mention/link the article back to previous articles you have read? I hope that makes sense, @Jessica Booker I would love to hear your perspective on this- thank you!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: HLL

Momo

Esteemed Member
    Nov 21, 2022
    I would like to ask whether the first part of this question is referring to why commercial law?

Question: "Why do you want to work in private practice in an international law firm? What do you know about the role you are applying for?"

Would @Jessica Booker have any insight on this? Thank you very much in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi all and @Jessica Booker ! are firms usually quite accommodating in allowing trainees to start their TCs within the same year they apply? or is it more common for firms to make you wait two years to start your TC?
    It’s not likely to happen - most firms recruit at least a year, sometimes 2-3 in advance and their roles are therefore filled. Sometimes vacancies will start that same year if the firm increases the number of vacancies or if they have enough people defer to a later intake, but usually firms operate waiting lists for those who do want to start earlier and therefore they maybe people already on that waiting list ahead of you. So I don’t think you can expect it at all, it’s just an added bonus in the rare instances it does happen.

Reactions: anon_law23

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    when asked to review a recent news article in an interview, should the sole focus of your discussion be on what the article says itself and its implications or can you take a broader perspective on the issue and mention/link the article back to previous articles you have read? I hope that makes sense, @Jessica Booker I would love to hear your perspective on this- thank you!!
    I don’t think referring to other articles in detail is needed because your interviewers don’t have access to them. A brief reference is fine, but I think also the chances of you reading an article directly related to the one you are being asked to review is unlikely at the same time.

You’ll usually be given instructions on what you need to consider when reviewing the article in your preparation time. In addition, the interviewers will ask you specific questions - it’s not like you just talk about it generally, so it’s really more about utilising the article and your general knowledge to support your answers to these questions.

Reactions: HLL

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would like to ask whether the first part of this question is referring to why commercial law?

Question: "Why do you want to work in private practice in an international law firm? What do you know about the role you are applying for?"

Would @Jessica Booker have any insight on this? Thank you very much in advance!
    It isn’t explicitly asking about commercial law, it is just asking what you want to be a solicitor in a law firm (private practice) and on an international level. Obviously there will be cross over though as many international law firms do commercial work.

Reactions: Momo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.