Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,
For a 'tell me about yourself' question - do you guys think it's good to start answering from current experience and look back to the past or to talk through how I got here from where I started..
I don’t think there is a set answer to this. You have to use a structure that works for you. Really focus on your USPs - don’t tell them everything - tell them the 3-4 points that are most interesting/relevant to your candidacy for the role/unique to you.

You want to say what ever you do say in w way that is impactful and memorable.

• 🤝
Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker i have an AC with a magic circle firm next week but also have a vacation scheme with a US firm in the summer.

Will I get into issues justifying why I took a US firm vacation scheme when interviewing at the magic circle firm? If so, do you have any advice?
Not “issues” but you are likely to be quizzed about why them over the US firm or the pros/cons of each firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
genuine question: is it appropriate to wear classic doc martens to an interview?? they have a regular sole, plus my trousers would cover the laces so it's only the yellow stitching that would be visible,, i know it's not ideal but i've heard it might snow on the day and really don't want to end up with frost bitten feet 😭

Yes, this should be fine if they are a regular sole.

Fd321

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Mar 3, 2023
genuine question: is it appropriate to wear classic doc martens to an interview?? they have a regular sole, plus my trousers would cover the laces so it's only the yellow stitching that would be visible,, i know it's not ideal but i've heard it might snow on the day and really don't want to end up with frost bitten feet 😭
I did with a suit and I don’t see anything wrong with it, they just look like brogues 😊

SuccessfulSolicitor

Distinguished Member
Feb 24, 2023
I’m so nervous, I don’t even know what to wear

am I meant to wear a blazer or can I just wear a blouse and trousers? Also, will it matter if my coat isn’t smart because I will take it off anyway?
I’d say a smart blouse or at least something with a collar should be good. I wouldn’t worry too much about the coat. Unless it’s a trap star jacket or Jean jacket, I don’t think they’ll care.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
anyone have any advice on how to approach 'your greatest weakness' question in a partner interview?
Pick something you are actively working on to improve or work on. Weaknesses are fine to have but it’s important to show how you either are working to improve them or how you ar learning to work around them.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad and app03

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    How does one answer Tell me abt a time you worked under pressure/were under a lot of pressure? I brought up a work example but then interviewer was like nah can you give another one. But besides having to juggle uni work/occasional society event/job applications (which Idt I can mention) all at once I can’t think of what to say :/

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anybody know how many people Travers Smith/Macfarlanes interview relative to how many get the VS? Thanks!
    The only people who will know this is the graduate recruitment team. It’s not info regularly shared/stated.

However, most firms will be somewhere between 1 in 2.5 to 1 in 4 vacancies to candidates interviewed. The lower end will be if there have been earlier recruitment stages such as testing/video interviews etc.

That figures is designed for people who no-show, withdraw their candidacy, or decline the offer though.

Reactions: SCM and Aditya_o2

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How does one answer Tell me abt a time you worked under pressure/were under a lot of pressure? I brought up a work example but then interviewer was like nah can you give another one. But besides having to juggle uni work/occasional society event/job applications (which Idt I can mention) all at once I can’t think of what to say :/
    Pressure doesn’t just have to be about time commitments, it can be about the responsibilities you have to deliver.

The key part of this is explaining why it was a pressurised situation for you. Someone who doesn’t have knowledge on something may find the situation more pressurised than someone who does. Someone who likes presenting may not find a situation of presenting their ideas to a group of people the same as someone who doesn’t like it.

Working in a law firm you are going to be under significant pressure a lot of the time, and firms need to be confident you can deal with that pressure as it’s not going to be a one off. Think about times you have been uncomfortable/concerned that you weren’t up to delivering what you were supposed to/meeting other people’s expectations and how you managed to still achieve what you needed to do and deal with managing those negative feelings of pressure.

Reactions: rayemuse

sunnyd

Star Member
    Apr 21, 2022
    Hi, would it appropriate to email the recruitment team of Mayer Brown and ask them if we’ll receive a response any time soon? I haven’t received any correspondence since the online SJT/Verbal Reasoning. Could anyone give me their opinion on this please 🙏🏻 @Jessica Booker

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.