TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuccessfulSolicitor

Distinguished Member
Feb 24, 2023
Got 8 post-AC rejections this cycle - one AC to go, and not looking good. My feedback suggests I am good at written exercises and interviews, but unable to come across as a "team player" during group exercises even though I make creative contributions, ask questions, and listen to everyone attentively. Standard's so high and I just don't know how to meet it.
I’m sorry to hear that!
Some advice I got from White & Case AC when I spoke to the associate and grad recruitment regarding team players was that in their opinion, it’s not about having the most contributions or asking questions. This may just be relevant to W&C but when we talking, they said that it’s actually the quieter people they tend to value more because, even though they aren’t saying much, when it finally comes round to their time to speak: the quieter person has usually come up with the best solution because they listened to everyone’s ideas and created a compromise that benefits everyone.

Again, it depends on the firm. But I’d just say there’s not a standard way to be a team player so maybe adapt your approach for different firms. E.g White & Case is pretty chill and sociable so perhaps you can focus more on listening to everyone. Whereas, Clifford Chance is pretty cut throat and competitive (not a bad thing btw) so in a firm like that you should on your feet with creative solutions and make your voice heard.

Good luck with your next AC.

• 🏆
Reactions: IT7, HLL and BeGrateful.101
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.