Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m just hoping that this firm isn’t trying to do this eg. If these are the VS hours where they’re trying to win candidates over, what are the TC hours like! I’m hopeful that they’re purely trying to give an insight into life as a trainee, but ofc I might be wrong.
Vac scheme hours will be less than trainee hours.

But you have only spoken to one person and they have highlighted their personal experience. They may have been there at 8pm but did they really need to or did they think they had to?

• ℹ️
Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Is it a bad sign that the partner responded to your thank you email after an interview?

I feel like that's an easy way for them to reject me?
    I actually had the opposite question. Is it a bad sign that a partner did not respond to a thank you email after an interview? Do they usually only respond if candidates are likely to be successful?

Reactions: futureTS2025hopeful

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    I actually had the opposite question. Is it a bad sign that a partner did not respond to a thank you email after an interview? Do they usually only respond if candidates are likely to be successful?
    I imagine lots of partners are so busy, that they’ll pop important emails to the side to action them, and discard others. Sadly, I doubt a thank you email would make the important pile. During a previous VS, I actually had two partners not reply to an email asking if they were available for a coffee to talk about their work etc. It wasn’t that they didn’t want to talk to me, they were just very busy and didn’t see it as urgent enough to respond to!

• 🤝
    Reactions: IT7

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    has anyone tried adding partners / interviewers on Linkedin after an interview and they never accepted the request and still come out with a positive outcome (e.g., an offer)?
    I would assume that adding Partners / Interviewers after an interview doesn't increase or decrease your chances. It is important to consider the context and the relationship between the candidate and the interviewer. It may be perceived as inappropriate or unprofessional.

To answer your question, I've received an offer after connecting with an interviewer. However, I did ask during the interview if I could do so, but regardless, I wouldn't stress too much about this.

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 23, 2020
    I imagine lots of partners are so busy, that they’ll pop important emails to the side to action them, and discard others. Sadly, I doubt a thank you email would make the important pile. During a previous VS, I actually had two partners not reply to an email asking if they were available for a coffee to talk about their work etc. It wasn’t that they didn’t want to talk to me, they were just very busy and didn’t see it as urgent enough to respond to!
    Did you end up converting your VS?

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    This makes sense, thank you! Maybe I'm overthinking it - but sending an email thanking them for their time and saying that I enjoyed the conversation/interview wouldn't come across as pushy or reflect badly on me, right?

user9809

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    This makes sense, thank you! Maybe I'm overthinking it - but sending an email thanking them for their time and saying that I enjoyed the conversation/interview wouldn't come across as pushy or reflect badly on me, right?
    I don’t think it would. I think they would see it as you being polite. I’ve sent thank you emails and still got an offer in the end

• 🤝

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It really doesn't mean anything.

A lot of lawyers take the approach of unless they need to respond to something (e.g. there is an action they must take), they won't respond.

• 🤝

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    has anyone tried adding partners / interviewers on Linkedin after an interview and they never accepted the request and still come out with a positive outcome (e.g., an offer)?
    Many people use LinkedIn on a completely professional level and will only connect with people who are significant people they work with/network with regularly rather than adding everyone.

At the moment, this is a bit like you meeting a friend's friend down the pub for the first time and you adding them to Facebook. Many people wouldn't accept that kind of connection as they are not part of your network yet - they don't know you well enough yet. LinkedIn is like this but a super charged version where their professional reputation also needs to be considered.

Although many will not care and add you freely, many other choose not to connect with interviewees whether successful or not. In fact, many of them don't even connect with trainees until they qualify into their department.

This is nothing to do with you, and only everything with how an individual wants to manage the people they connect with (and rightfully so).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.