TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcplz

Premium Member
Aug 12, 2019
I have been invited to a full day AC but it clashes with a VS at another firm. The AC email specifically states that there are no alternative dates available. Would it be inappropriate to ask the VS firm for a day off since it’s only a one week scheme? If not, what’s the best way to go about asking for a day off? @Jessica Booker

Reactions: Ali A

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have been invited to a full day AC but it clashes with a VS at another firm. The AC email specifically states that there are no alternative dates available. Would it be inappropriate to ask the VS firm for a day off since it’s only a one week scheme? If not, what’s the best way to go about asking for a day off? @Jessica Booker
I would call the VS firm and explain you have been invited to an AC that has no flexibility with dates and ask whether it would be possible to take that day off. You can then reference you'd be happy to make the time up that week to your department.

Your VS firm could say no though, especially if there is something important for you to attend on the day you need off.

Reactions: tcplz

CallumJR

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020
I’m starting to really dislike this whole process. It’s so draining going to ACs and going through the long recruitment stages just to get a PFO at the end. I know it’s super competitive but it makes me wonder what’s the point. Especially because I have uni work to deal with too. Sorry about the negativity guys

I feel you! Just got my 3rd post-AC rejection.

Cryingtiger

Valued Member
Dec 11, 2020
I’m starting to really dislike this whole process. It’s so draining going to ACs and going through the long recruitment stages just to get a PFO at the end. I know it’s super competitive but it makes me wonder what’s the point. Especially because I have uni work to deal with too. Sorry about the negativity guys
Feel your pain!! I’ve went through over 10 post-AC rejections!!! 🫠 it’s super tough!!! You’re right especially when you have uni work to deal with, I’m drowning in it!!

hiremeplz

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 20, 2022
To celebrate going onto week 6 not hearing from Sidley post-interview, I thought I would share chat-gpt's attempt to eulogize my pain:

"Waiting for a response, day by day,
With every passing moment, I pray,
For a message from Sidley Austin, to say,
That I have made it through their interview fray.

It's been over a month since I last heard,
Since I gave it my all, and shared every word,
Of my passion for law, and my skill with the pen,
And my dedication to the profession, again and again.

But the waiting, it weighs on me like a stone,
The uncertainty, the unknown,
The anxious thoughts that swirl in my mind,
Of what might have gone wrong, or what I might find.

Did I not impress with my knowledge and poise?
Did I fail to convey my enthusiasm and noise?
Or is it simply a matter of timing and chance,
That I must wait for that next, fateful glance?

So I wait, and I hope, and I pray once more,
That a response will come, and soon, before,
I lose heart and faith in my path and my dream,
Of a future in law, or so it would seem.

For I know that with patience and perseverance,
I can weather this storm, this delay and this interference,
And emerge on the other side, stronger and brighter,
With my hopes and my dreams, still shining like a lighter."

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.