Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I’m made a TC offer from one firm following a spring scheme while also having another vac scheme in the summer, what are my potential options (all of this is wishful thinking)
Depends on how long you have to accept your TC offer and the terms and conditions of both your TC and VS offers.

If you accept the TC, you may find either firm does not allow you to continue with the VS.

If that is the case, you can try to ask for an extension period of the TC offer for you to hold an offer but not make a decision on that offer until your vacation scheme concludes. The TC firm could say no to this though.

Pal22

Jul 9, 2021
Congratulations!! A lot of firms are now completely transitioning to the SQE, I've seen many state that they would require LPC Grads to do the SQE. You're exempt from SQE1 if you've done the LPC but will have to sit SQE 2.

The firm I did a vac scheme for have space for two intakes. They said that their 2024 intake won't have to do the SQE if they've done the LPC, but their 2025 intake would. So really think it depends on the firm and what stage they are in regarding their transition to qualifying via the SQE
Thank you, that's very helpful!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anybody know the rules on applying to vacation schemes/direct training contracts after already accepting a TC? @Jessica Booker I would love some insight if you have any. Many thanks!
Technically if you have accepted a TC you shouldn't really be applying to VS or TCs going forward.

However, there are no rules on this and so people do it. You should check the terms of your TC and VS offers though, as you could be in breach of contract depending on the terms of the offer you have been given.

candyfloss4534

Oct 21, 2022
Hi @Jessica Booker , would really appreciate your thoughts on this:

I was supposed to hear back from a firm (say Firm A) for a summer vac scheme by 3 Apr, and found out on 12 Apr that I had been placed on the reserve list, and that I should hear back with a decision by early last week (so roughly 18 Apr). On 19 Apr I hadn't heard back, so I emailed grad rec, who said she would check and get back to me. On 21 Apr I emailed again as I was being pressured by a different firm (Firm B) to make a decision on them, but this firm I am on the reserve list for is my first choice, and the grad rec member I was speaking to told me her colleagues are out of office but that she was waiting to hear from them, and she asked me if I could get an extension on Firm B to mid of this week (yesterday). Yesterday I tried emailing Firm A again but the email of the grad rec member I was speaking to no longer works (emails just bounce, rather than an 'out of office' message), so I tried emailing the general grad rec email. I still haven't heard back from Firm A, and need to make a decision on Firm B (they have emailed me again saying they really need a decision as other candidates are on hold). Would it be acceptable to call Firm A? I don't want to come across as pushy or annoying, but a decision from them would be really helpful. Thanks for your help in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , would really appreciate your thoughts on this:

I was supposed to hear back from a firm (say Firm A) for a summer vac scheme by 3 Apr, and found out on 12 Apr that I had been placed on the reserve list, and that I should hear back with a decision by early last week (so roughly 18 Apr). On 19 Apr I hadn't heard back, so I emailed grad rec, who said she would check and get back to me. On 21 Apr I emailed again as I was being pressured by a different firm (Firm B) to make a decision on them, but this firm I am on the reserve list for is my first choice, and the grad rec member I was speaking to told me her colleagues are out of office but that she was waiting to hear from them, and she asked me if I could get an extension on Firm B to mid of this week (yesterday). Yesterday I tried emailing Firm A again but the email of the grad rec member I was speaking to no longer works (emails just bounce, rather than an 'out of office' message), so I tried emailing the general grad rec email. I still haven't heard back from Firm A, and need to make a decision on Firm B (they have emailed me again saying they really need a decision as other candidates are on hold). Would it be acceptable to call Firm A? I don't want to come across as pushy or annoying, but a decision from them would be really helpful. Thanks for your help in advance!
You can accept and then renege on firm B if you wanted to.

An email is something you should expect 3-5 working days to respond to minimum. If you need a more time urgent response then call them.

Reactions: candyfloss4534

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Depends on how long you have to accept your TC offer and the terms and conditions of both your TC and VS offers.

If you accept the TC, you may find either firm does not allow you to continue with the VS.

If that is the case, you can try to ask for an extension period of the TC offer for you to hold an offer but not make a decision on that offer until your vacation scheme concludes. The TC firm could say no to this though.
@Jessica Booker Is there any code / best practice that firms typically go by when it comes to deciding how much time they would allow candidates to hold an offer for?

For firms like CC where they offer TCs in candidates' first year of university (through SPARK) I've heard that they give candidates up to 2 years to decide whether they want to accept - which makes sense given they offer TCs so early on. But I remember seeing somewhere there is standard practice something along the lines of giving candidates at least until the start of their final year at university to decide - but not sure (i) whether law firms are still doing this and (ii) how it would apply to candidates who are no longer at university.

Been hearing rumours about how US firms are increasingly putting pressure on candidates to decide very swiftly e.g. only giving 1-2 weeks to deliberate and UK firms starting to follow suit and cut down on the time given to candidates to decide as well because it just makes more sense for them to do so if competitors are forcing candidates to decide that quickly. And to be fair, I can see where they are coming from - they have to adapt to whatever the rest of the grad rec market is doing.

I'm finding this a bit tricky to navigate especially if you get a TC offer off the back of a spring vac scheme but would still like to do a summer vac scheme before you make any final decisions. How should candidates approach this conversation with grad rec?

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

islay6_5

Standard Member
Feb 9, 2023
I unfortunately had to turn down a summer VS offer at a firm because the dates clashed with a VS offer from another firm that I had already accepted. However, I am still interested in the firm I turned down the VS for and would like to apply for a direct TC there. Would having turned the VS place down in favour of another firm look poorly on a direct TC application to the turned down firm or is it worth still applying?

I would also appreciate if anyone had any recommendations for sites with information regarding vac scheme experiences/likelihood of converting particular firms' VSs into a TC as I'm finding it really difficult to know which VSs to accept ( having been in the fortunate position of having more than 1 to choose from).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Is there any code / best practice that firms typically go by when it comes to deciding how much time they would allow candidates to hold an offer for?

For firms like CC where they offer TCs in candidates' first year of university (through SPARK) I've heard that they give candidates up to 2 years to decide whether they want to accept - which makes sense given they offer TCs so early on. But I remember seeing somewhere there is standard practice something along the lines of giving candidates at least until the start of their final year at university to decide - but not sure (i) whether law firms are still doing this and (ii) how it would apply to candidates who are no longer at university.

Been hearing rumours about how US firms are increasingly putting pressure on candidates to decide very swiftly e.g. only giving 1-2 weeks to deliberate and UK firms starting to follow suit and cut down on the time given to candidates to decide as well because it just makes more sense for them to do so if competitors are forcing candidates to decide that quickly. And to be fair, I can see where they are coming from - they have to adapt to whatever the rest of the grad rec market is doing.

I'm finding this a bit tricky to navigate especially if you get a TC offer off the back of a spring vac scheme but would still like to do a summer vac scheme before you make any final decisions. How should candidates approach this conversation with grad rec?
There is a voluntary code that states 4 weeks if you are in your final year or have graduated, and mid September, if you are a penultimate year undergraduate. Many firms don’t stick to the code though - I would say four weeks is common unless the programme is due to start soon (whether that be the TC itself or the training for it).

That explains CC approach - they offer up to mid September of someone’s penultimate year of their undergrad degree.

If you are being out under pressure, you have every right to accept the TC and then renege on it later if you want to. If the firm is not sticking to the code, it can’t expect candidates to either.

Reactions: average_jo123

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2021
Wait, hold on a minute! Orrick said that they only open their TC applications if they have spaces? But they already have a deadline for the direct TC app in May (before their VS).
Also curious about that, I also read somewhere that they supposedly had a decent direct TC intake... wondering if it is worth applying!

Reactions: Dwight
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.