TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

19vanessat

Feb 23, 2022
if a firm doesn't state a word limit for a cover letter, how much should we assume the word count to be? other firms have put cover letters around 750 words I think, should I just go with that as a rough guide? this is for white & case btw.

Reactions: hannah04

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Reactions: NJS and Asil Ahmad

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
is there like a "waitlist" for TC offers following a VS? Like for example, if the firm recruits only from their VS and has 15 TC positions, gives out 15 TC offers but only 13 accept, will they give 2 more offers from a waitlist to fill out the cohort, or will they just take 13 trainees?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
is there like a "waitlist" for TC offers following a VS? Like for example, if the firm recruits only from their VS and has 15 TC positions, gives out 15 TC offers but only 13 accept, will they give 2 more offers from a waitlist to fill out the cohort, or will they just take 13 trainees?
Most likely they will make more offers - but it really depends on what their threshold is. Very few firms will recruit a specific number of trainees - they can typically be 10-15% under or over (unless the intake is very small).

They may also just decide to wait until next year’s vacation scheme and offer someone from that cycle instead, especially if they are recruiting 2-3 years in advance.

Throwaway1

Jul 6, 2023
If you renege a TC only a month after the offer, and they were very understanding and nice about it, what's the etiquette for updating my linked in? I'm not the type to post but do I need to remove my old firm before posting the new one? Especially as I have not told the old firm who the new firm is? Sorry to ask, just don't want to offend anyone

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you renege a TC only a month after the offer, and they were very understanding and nice about it, what's the etiquette for updating my linked in? I'm not the type to post but do I need to remove my old firm before posting the new one? Especially as I have not told the old firm who the new firm is? Sorry to ask, just don't want to offend anyone
Removing an entry on LinkedIn won’t notify anyone but adding one will.

There is no etiquette here though - you just need to update your profile. Both the old firm and the new firm won’t care about this in all honesty.

If you don’t want people to see the changes you can change your visibility settings on LinkedIn though so that no one is notified of additional entries you add in.

DKLaw

Star Member
Feb 8, 2023
If you’re applying for the VS in your final year and also applying for LLM SQE yourself as backup (in case you do need to self-fund), what happens if you’re lucky enough to get a TC? If its the same provider as the firm’s, would they just manage things directly with the uni?
And in that scenario do firms generally allow you to do the LLM right after your undergrad and then treat the following year as gap before starting the TC?

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023

I cannot speak for all firms, but I have heard of friends coming off a waitlist for TC offers at an American firm after a VS!

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
If you’re applying for the VS in your final year and also applying for LLM SQE yourself as backup (in case you do need to self-fund), what happens if you’re lucky enough to get a TC? If its the same provider as the firm’s, would they just manage things directly with the uni?
And in that scenario do firms generally allow you to do the LLM right after your undergrad and then treat the following year as gap before starting the TC?
Hey @DKLaw,

I would imagine it is up to the discretion of the firm and depends on your TC start date - there may be time off before the SQE or after and they may even offer the option. It is best to simply ask GR if this scenario ever realises itself.

Some firms might also not give the option of an LLM alongside the SQE. I am sure, logistically, everything can be managed if you obtained a TC before self-funding (although some firms will not retrospectively pay for the SQE if you have already funded it yourself so be careful there) and it is at the same provider.

Hope this helps!

Laura :)

Reactions: DKLaw

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Solidarity to all those waiting patiently for TC offers/rejections post vac schemes 🙏🏼 everything happens for a reason

It is always a difficult waiting game! It is important to find an outlet for that stress if you can. I know the new series of The Summer I Turned Pretty is coming out tomorrow on Amazon Prime :cool: if anyone fancies binge watching a programme. Let me know if anyone else wants other recommendations

DKLaw

Star Member
Feb 8, 2023
Hey @DKLaw,

I would imagine it is up to the discretion of the firm and depends on your TC start date - there may be time off before the SQE or after and they may even offer the option. It is best to simply ask GR if this scenario ever realises itself.

Some firms might also not give the option of an LLM alongside the SQE. I am sure, logistically, everything can be managed if you obtained a TC before self-funding (although some firms will not retrospectively pay for the SQE if you have already funded it yourself so be careful there) and it is at the same provider.

Hope this helps!

Laura :)
Thank you so much Laura for explaining this, I am also hoping to secure at least a VS so that there’s some hope before going down the self-fund route.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello has any one done a Thrive psychometric test? I cannot find anything about it online and wondered if similar to WG? Thank you
The WG is a pretty unique assessment as it assesses a particular set of verbal comprehension.

I suspect this will be a wider range of aptitude testing because Thrive utilise multiple assessments usually - you can find the different types of assessments they do here: https://www.thrivetech.co/assessments#Assessments-slider

Sophh182

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2021
I’ve been pretty inactive on here lately due to work and upcoming vacation schemes, but I’ve just heard the news that I’ve been successful after my last vacation scheme of the cycle! I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and support over the years! It certainly wasn’t my first vacation scheme (my fourth actually!) and it hasn’t been the easiest TC journey. Please don’t give up because it WILL happen for you. I said to myself that this would be my last cycle! If anyone wants any help or advice please just reach out!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve been pretty inactive on here lately due to work and upcoming vacation schemes, but I’ve just heard the news that I’ve been successful after my last vacation scheme of the cycle! I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and support over the years! It certainly wasn’t my first vacation scheme (my fourth actually!) and it hasn’t been the easiest TC journey. Please don’t give up because it WILL happen for you. I said to myself that this would be my last cycle! If anyone wants any help or advice please just reach out!
Amazing news - congratulations!

Excited Jamie Lee Curtis GIF by Golden Globes

Reactions: Sophh182
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.