TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi how do i become okay with rejection? I had a VS with my dream firm and then found out I was not successful. I have not even studied law, should I give up? I am graduating so I think I should look for other jobs but feeling so hopefully like I am sitting in a black hole 😭😭😭

Reactions: idktbh7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi how do i become okay with rejection? I had a VS with my dream firm and then found out I was not successful. I have not even studied law, should I give up? I am graduating so I think I should look for other jobs but feeling so hopefully like I am sitting in a black hole 😭😭😭
This is just one firm’s view out of 100s of other legal employers you could work for.

It’s not an indication of what’s going to happen with every legal employer you could work for. It may just be that they weren’t right for you, rather than you not being right for them.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
I’ve been pretty inactive on here lately due to work and upcoming vacation schemes, but I’ve just heard the news that I’ve been successful after my last vacation scheme of the cycle! I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and support over the years! It certainly wasn’t my first vacation scheme (my fourth actually!) and it hasn’t been the easiest TC journey. Please don’t give up because it WILL happen for you. I said to myself that this would be my last cycle! If anyone wants any help or advice please just reach out!
LOVE to hear this! Congratulations :)))

Reactions: Sophh182

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
I know that rejection must have been painful, but ultimately you must remember that you beat THOUSANDS of students to get that place on the VS at that firm. I remember a partner on my vacation scheme told me that, even if I didn’t get the TC at the end, having the VS on my CV was going to make me even more employable. A lot of time, it is not to do with your abilities which I’m sure are fantastic and more to do with a culture fit or a lack of space on the TC. Please please don’t give up - every journey is marked with dips in the road. I am sure you will come back from this better and stronger :)))

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Would a paid week placement with a law firm that is technically not a vac scheme still be converted into a TC? Especially if their vac schemes are also one week? What would be the difference?
Unless the firm specifically says to you there is a chance, I am not sure the two can be equated. There is always the unexpected, but the devil is usually in the details. It is worth an ask, however.

Reactions: Logan1101

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Thank you, I heard back from them with a positive response yesterday! Was wondering if you'd know if they offer many opportunities for students still at uni?
Truthfully, I never found there were many opportunities on offer to anyone even after consistently asking them - better to try your luck with some other agencies like Ryder Reid as well. Of course, since I stopped using Flex there may be more on offer, but from my experience there weren’t! Sorry probably not the response you were looking for.

Reactions: Bubbles

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would a paid week placement with a law firm that is technically not a vac scheme still be converted into a TC? Especially if their vac schemes are also one week? What would be the difference?
Not necessarily - it is something to talk about with them. But if it’s something you have manage to arrange rather than go through a formal recruitment process for, then most likely not.

Bubbles

Legendary Member
Jan 19, 2022
Truthfully, I never found there were many opportunities on offer to anyone even after consistently asking them - better to try your luck with some other agencies like Ryder Reid as well. Of course, since I stopped using Flex there may be more on offer, but from my experience there weren’t! Sorry probably not the response you were looking for.
I see, thank you! I understand that Ryder Reid is a London recruiting agency. Could you please direct me to some agencies in the north?

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    Unless the firm specifically says to you there is a chance, I am not sure the two can be equated. There is always the unexpected, but the devil is usually in the details. It is worth an ask, however.
    It seems odd to ask for a TC so I'll just have to see how it goes and hope that they do. It was pretty competitive(only 2 places) and I was interviewed but it would be different from their formal recruitment process with an AC or an online test.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you, I heard back from them with a positive response yesterday! Was wondering if you'd know if they offer many opportunities for students still at uni?
    Opportunities while you are at uni will be limited purely because most placements will be several months and could fall out of term time.

Reactions: Bubbles

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Received a TC offer from a firm after being waitlisted after their spring scheme! Super happy, just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here for the amazing advice throughout this year :)
    Amazing news and a massive congratulations!

Well Done Applause GIF

Reactions: LS_1998

chirag12

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 17, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker,
    I want to start applying to law firms after the summer. As I do not have the minimum A-level requirement (ABB) for lots of top law firms, I will only apply to the law firms where I meet the A-level requirements such as DLA Piper etc. I got a BCC. I have got three questions.

1) If I can not claim mitigating circumstances for my A-level results, how much will it affect my application for the law firms where I meet the A-level requirements?

2) During the level period, I did have family issues but did not disclose them to anyone and there is no evidence that I can provide, which is why I am not confident that I would be able to claim it.

3) If the law firm does accept my MC for my A-levels, would I still need to include it in my applications for law firms that do not require a minimum A- level grade?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.