laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker ,
I just wanted to ask a question based on your experience as a recruiter for law firms. I know about the general stuff that makes your application stand out for example making the application firm-specific, being commercially aware, having extracurriculars, and having previous legal work experience.

I just wanted to ask if there has ever been a time when an application has stood out for something very uncommon to see as a recruiter. Something a firm would be extremely impressed by which doesn't include the general things.

Also just wanted to say since finding out about this forum, it has helped me so much so thanks. I will definitely become a paid member once it's application season for the vacation scheme!
To add to @Jessica Booker's advice - it is not just experiences that will stand out, but how you have dwelled on them. I've been told numerous times that using numbers and statistics in your writing is very eye-catching to GR, rather than simply writing out what happened and what you developed in just words.

On the topic of experiences, I also related to a partner in an exit interview on a mutual activity we both undertook which was completely unrelated to law. People really do love talking about life outside of the legal sector (sometimes, not all the time) - it might be running marathons, instruments, languages/countries etc etc. There are so many things that make humans special apart from their work experiences. For example, my friend climbed a few mountains (for fun... I know people do actually do that stuff for fun, couldn't be me haha!) and mentioned that on their CV and the interviewer was so enamoured by that, even if they couldn't directly relate.

Avoiding cliche and what everyone is doing is also part of what makes application writing quite fun. Being out of the ordinary is actually easier than fitting yourself into the same box as everyone else. Perhaps that is a cliche in and of itself, but it rings true when 1000s of applications are being submitted and yours is just one.

Hope this helps in some way!

chirag12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 17, 2023
To add to @Jessica Booker's advice - it is not just experiences that will stand out, but how you have dwelled on them. I've been told numerous times that using numbers and statistics in your writing is very eye-catching to GR, rather than simply writing out what happened and what you developed in just words.

On the topic of experiences, I also related to a partner in an exit interview on a mutual activity we both undertook which was completely unrelated to law. People really do love talking about life outside of the legal sector (sometimes, not all the time) - it might be running marathons, instruments, languages/countries etc etc. There are so many things that make humans special apart from their work experiences. For example, my friend climbed a few mountains (for fun... I know people do actually do that stuff for fun, couldn't be me haha!) and mentioned that on their CV and the interviewer was so enamoured by that, even if they couldn't directly relate.

Avoiding cliche and what everyone is doing is also part of what makes application writing quite fun. Being out of the ordinary is actually easier than fitting yourself into the same box as everyone else. Perhaps that is a cliche in and of itself, but it rings true when 1000s of applications are being submitted and yours is just one.

Hope this helps in some way!
Hi Laura,
This is so helpful!
I understand that your personal stories can help you stand out.

Could you elaborate on the part where u said "Using numbers and statistics in your writing is very eye-catching to GR, rather than simply writing out what happened and what you developed in just words"? Are you talking about using numbers and statistics to talk about your personal journey or something else?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How much time is allotted to accept a TC (assuming the candidate is in their penultimate year of law school)?
Best practice would be either four weeks or until mid September (whatever is later). Not all firms stick to this though.

In the normal world of job offers (legal graduate recruitment is quite weird and an exception), you’d probably get 7-10 working days to accept an offer.

serojasa

Standard Member
Oct 29, 2021
Been waiting for a firm to get back to me following a VS. Got a call yesterday that I missed w/ no voice mail or anything. Didn't get a call from them today.

What do you think the case might be and should I email to chase up on this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Been waiting for a firm to get back to me following a VS. Got a call yesterday that I missed w/ no voice mail or anything. Didn't get a call from them today.

What do you think the case might be and should I email to chase up on this?
was it definitely from the firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Laura,
This is so helpful!

Could you elaborate on the part where u said "Using numbers and statistics in your writing is very eye-catching to GR, rather than simply writing out what happened and what you developed in just words"? Are you talking about using numbers and statistics to talk about your personal journey or something else?
Here is a comparative example which explains how stats/evidence can be far more compelling in showing your individuality:

As Treasurer of the university law society, I was responsible for managing the organisation’s finances and securing sponsorship for corporate partners.

As Treasurer of the university law society, I improved the organisation’s revenues by 30%, taking it out of debt for the first time in three years. In part, this was achieved by the sponsorship I secured in 2022/23, which included partnerships with 4 new organisations and an increase in total sponsorship value by 150%.

• Love
Reactions: laurabeaumont

LuciaMarie95

Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 3, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker 😊

With the upcoming cycle, I was just looking for some advice.

I went to uni as a mature student to study my LLB, to which I obtained a first class honours. I did this full time alongside working full time. Is it worth trying to get this across in my applications?

My concern is my A Levels, I sat them in school and didn’t obtain great grades as my goal at the time was to continue working my way up through my management positions. I am now a Regional Manager at a large telecommunications company. However, I did sit my access course before starting uni. I completed the course with a full 45 distinctions which I’ve been told is the equivalent to AAA at A Level. Will this hinder my applications for firms that require a minimum A Level requirement?

Thanks

Last edited:

chirag12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 17, 2023
Here is a comparative example which explains how stats/evidence can be far more compelling in showing your individuality:

As Treasurer of the university law society, I was responsible for managing the organisation’s finances and securing sponsorship for corporate partners.

As Treasurer of the university law society, I improved the organisation’s revenues by 30%, taking it out of debt for the first time in three years. In part, this was achieved by the sponsorship I secured in 2022/23, which included partnerships with 4 new organisations and an increase in total sponsorship value by 150%.
Amazing! Thanks.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hi Laura,
This is so helpful!

Hi @chirag12 ,

Glad I could be helpful :)

Just as being unique can stand out, using numbers to quantify your experiences stands out in amongst words.

See the comparison between the two sentences below.

"I contributed to the coordination of X Summer School and online seminars throughout the Academic Year for underprivileged Sixth Form students, with the aim of helping them make an informed and confident choice about their education options. I led mentoring sessions which strengthened my interpersonal and customer service skills, as well as gaining a strong sense of fulfilment from the success of the students"

versus

"I contributed to the coordination of X Summer School and online seminars throughout the Academic Year for underprivileged Sixth Form students, with the aim of helping them make an informed and confident choice about their education options. As well as strengthening my interpersonal and customer service skills, I gained a strong sense of fulfilment in personally guiding 85 students from across the country through the university application process. After weekly mentoring sessions over five months, I ensured that every student received at least one offer from a Russell Group Institution and 56 received at least two."

What stands out to you between these too? Hopefully, you can see that the numbers here really fleshed out how this experience impacted the applicant and how it was successful overall.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
If a TC offer has already been made to a student, how much time is given to accept/reject (or in general, respond to) the offer?

I remember my firm told me exactly how long I had in my TC offer letter. Better not to guess but simply ask HR/GR if you are unsure!

Last edited:
Reactions: LS_1998

di

Star Member
Sep 27, 2022
It really depends on the firm - it could quiet easily be both - I wouldn’t say there is one clear approach over the other.

They will email you if they can’t get hold of you via the phone.
If one person has heard back with an offer 2 days ago and no one else has received any news, would that mean that most likely everyone else should expect a rejection?

chirag12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 17, 2023
Hi @chirag12 ,

Glad I could be helpful :)

Just as being unique can stand out, using numbers to quantify your experiences stands out in amongst words.

See the comparison between the two sentences below.

"I contributed to the coordination of X Summer School and online seminars throughout the Academic Year for underprivileged Sixth Form students, with the aim of helping them make an informed and confident choice about their education options. I led mentoring sessions which strengthened my interpersonal and customer service skills, as well as gaining a strong sense of fulfilment from the success of the students"

versus

"I contributed to the coordination of X Summer School and online seminars throughout the Academic Year for underprivileged Sixth Form students, with the aim of helping them make an informed and confident choice about their education options. As well as strengthening my interpersonal and customer service skills, I gained a strong sense of fulfilment in personally guiding 85 students from across the country through the university application process. After weekly mentoring sessions over five months, I ensured that every student received at least one offer from a Russell Group Institution and 56 received at least two."

What stands out to you between these too? Hopefully, you can see that the numbers here really fleshed out how this experience impacted the applicant and how it was successful overall.
That second answer is soo much better. Makes total sense from a recruiter's point of view. Thank you so much.

• Love
Reactions: laurabeaumont

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If one person has heard back with an offer 2 days ago and no one else has received any news, would that mean that most likely everyone else should expect a rejection?
Not necessarily. I don’t think you can come to that conclusion.

Reactions: di
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.