Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would try to apply in the first two thirds of the application window if the firm is recruiting on a rolling basis. You shouldn’t rush your applications just to get in there early, and ultimately the vast majority of people won’t apply until the last few days of the application window anyway

hanz123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 16, 2022
Any advice for answering DLA’s question?

If successful in securing a training contract after the Summer Internship, what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any advice for answering DLA’s question?

If successful in securing a training contract after the Summer Internship, what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them?
The key is not coming out with obvious/broad statements like “commercial awareness” as this is something every lawyer has to work on throughout their career. Instead, try to pick something more unique to you that you know you need to develop but something that you can clearly evidence that you could develop during the TC. Also be specific in the resources you would use.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Slaughters cover letter for the winter workshop says 'it should be no more than one side of A4'. Does anyone know if we can bend the rules a little here by downsizing font? Nothing ridiculous but going from 12pt -> 10pt say, or would that be massively frowned upon?

@Jessica Booker would you have any thoughts? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Slaughters cover letter for the winter workshop says 'it should be no more than one side of A4'. Does anyone know if we can bend the rules a little here by downsizing font? Nothing ridiculous but going from 12pt -> 10pt say, or would that be massively frowned upon?

@Jessica Booker would you have any thoughts? Thanks!
If you are going to go with 10, ensure that everything else isn’t squashed - for instance no squashing line spacing or too narrow margins or very long paragraphs. You need to make your letter easy to read even if the font size is smaller.

Personally I would go with 10.5 as smallest font but be a bit creative with line spacing if needed.

• Love
Reactions: prospectiveswitcher

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica!Can I ask do I usually need to write all scores of each module on my application form or just the overall score?Does it matter if I have achieved a 2.1 in overall but I have 2.2module?(I have the mitigating circumstances

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Another probably pedantic question - do firms generally care or notice which form of 'verb agreement' you use? From what I've found online, its American v British English, but not everyone agrees. E.g., is it 'Slaughter and May have their offices on Bunhill Row' or 'Slaughter and May has their offices on Bunhill Row' ? 'Slaughter and May has prioritised X' 'Slaughter and May have prioritised X' - seems much of a muchness but wondering is there an accepted norm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica!Can I ask do I usually need to write all scores of each module on my application form or just the overall score?Does it matter if I have achieved a 2.1 in overall but I have 2.2module?(I have the mitigating circumstances
    Most firms will expect to see all module grades, but look at the instructions carefully for each firm, as some may not require this.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Reading through Slaughter and May's successful TC and VS applications, I feel like that 99.9% of them were from current students or recent graduates of Oxbridge or G5 universities. Ngl I'm having serious doubts about applying lol
    I recently had an assessment day with them, and I graduated from a non-Russell Group university. While I don't know the outcome yet, I noticed that EVERYONE there was from Oxbridge - trainees, vacation scheme participants, and even the receptionist (just kidding, of course haha) However, if you're genuinely interested in the firm, I would recommend applying. Me getting to the assessment center stage suggests they'll review your application as a whole rather than rejecting you straight away based on your university background. But well, I won’t lie when I say that during the interview the partner was questioning my uni choices and found hard to believe that I chose it because I really liked the environment ahaha

AlexC

Premium Member
    Jul 21, 2022
    I recently had an assessment day with them, and I graduated from a non-Russell Group university. While I don't know the outcome yet, I noticed that EVERYONE there was from Oxbridge - trainees, vacation scheme participants, and even the receptionist (just kidding, of course haha) However, if you're genuinely interested in the firm, I would recommend applying. Me getting to the assessment center stage suggests they'll review your application as a whole rather than rejecting you straight away based on your university background. But well, I won’t lie when I say that during the interview the partner was questioning my uni choices and found hard to believe that I chose it because I really liked the environment ahaha
    Was this for direct TC? :)

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    They don’t put a university breakdown on Legal Cheek. Telling. Other firms that are almost (or) majority Oxbridge do - Ropes & Gray, Kirkland, Milbank etc. I can only speak for the 2018 Easter scheme but it did seem very Oxbridge heavy. I think it’s a reinforcing cycle and that if you want to apply to slaughters, then you should. For example, they have a Tax Partner who got a 2.2 from Exeter. He joined in 1973, but you get my point.

Reactions: bella98

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker when I accidentally confused information on a deal in my application and get asked about it. Should I just pretend as if the information is correct or tell them that I mixed something up?
    @Jessica Booker the information relates to the number of jurisdictions involved in a deal. I’m actually sure that the information was correct but upon looking up the deal again less information seems to be available and another deal was completely removed. Is there a possibility that information was modified?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.