TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    With all the applications and building yourself up for tests, VIs, and interviews, how do you all deal with the mental toll of the application cycle? And doing each stage, how do you all best deal with jitters/nerves/anxiety to ensure it doesn't interfere with your performance?
    Honestly, I have found there is no simple solution to combat the mental toll of the application cycle. However I would say, allow yourself to detach once in a while.

Do not be afraid to take a little bit of a break here and there, but not too long to the point you lose your mojo. For example, and this is probably not the best advice, but I missed out on sending my Covington & Burling/Allen & Overy WVS applications even-though they were on my list. However, looking back I do not regret it. I needed those breaks to recharge and relax, and I have found its helped me a lot with my other applications, and tests/VI's. I would say balance this out, I could afford to lost out on these two because they have spring/summer/direct. Try to see if there are any applications you can pass over to another month, just to give you that extra time to rest.

Equally, try not to think about an application once it has been sent. In the past, I would sit here waiting on any update, and each time I would see somebody get invited I would assume an automatic rejection. It's crippling and can lead to demotivation for the rest of the cycle, thus impacting further applications. The best thing you can do for yourself is ignore the application once it has been sent or once any automated tests have been complete. Honestly, doing this I found my disappointment in a rejection post-app to be very short-lived, and it does not impact me as much as it did in the past.

Lastly, as for the anxiety or nerves, what works for me is to prepare as well as I can, and breathe. TCLA has a wealth of insight over individual applications, whether thats through another member's experience, or past applications and successful answers. There is so much there to allow you to feel a little less alone, and a lot more supported.

You've got this! x

P.S. The DLA VI (if that's what is bugging you atm) is not so bad. It is just a strengths-based interview which requires little to no knowledge of DLA. I actually messed up the last question and only answered the first half (which in my opinion should have been more than enough for a rejection) but I passed the benchmark and have proceeded to review.

For VI's, I would recommend doing a practice test with shortlist.me. They are not the same platform, but they are the only platform out there (which I have seen) that give you an insight as to how textbook VI questions should be approached.

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022
    Technical issues happen.

Try to contact the video software company in the morning - there’s likely to be a contact number as well as an email address.

Alternatively try to complete the video interview on another device, such as a mobile phone.
    Thank you Jessica for your quick response, I really appreciate it! I used another email address on their website but again I got a failure to deliver message. I did call them but no one was answering the phone so I left a voicemail with mynumber to call me back. Unfortuantely in the instructions for this platform's VI it says once you have started your video interview, you cannot continue it on another device which is a shame as I would have borrowed my dad's laptop to complete it. I have attached a screenshot of the page which it is stuck on to grad rec too as proof, I'm not too sure what to do next really! It is due in Wednesday at midnight so luckily I was doing it a few days before the deadline so I'm very glad I didn't leave it till last minute but still quite stressful! Thanks for all your help :)

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022
    Hi,

take a screenshot and send it to the grad rec
    Yes I did this thank you so much! The bit the software freezes on for me is the example question so I haven't actually seen the interview questions yet luckily so I'm not at any advantage over other candidates if I have to have the link reset or something. I know that grad rec are normally swamped with emails so fingers crossed it is seen in time... the deadline is Weds midnight so i have a couple days at least

Reactions: axelbeugre and S87

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    I applied for Latham & Watkins open day in November, and I was told I have to sit an assessment (which I've completed) as well as a video interview. It seems pretty excessive, does anyone know if this is common among firms? Also, does the VI weigh heavily into whether or not you get a place on the open day?

Last edited:

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    I applied for Latham & Watkins open day in November, and I was told I have to sit an assessment (which I've completed) as well as a video interview. It seems pretty excessive, does anyone know if this is pretty common among firms? Also, does the VI weigh heavily into whether or not you get a place on the open day?
    I went to Latham's open day two weeks ago. I think firms are so inundated with applications for open days that they need a way to pick and choose who to take and VIs, SJTs etc are a good way of doing that. It's worth it because if you get L&Ws Open Day, you don't have to take the same test for the VS (source: Latham Grad Rec).

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    I went to Latham's open day two weeks ago. I think firms are so inundated with applications for open days that they need a way to pick and choose who to take and VIs, SJTs etc are a good way of doing that. It's worth it because if you get L&Ws Open Day, you don't have to take the same test for the VS (source: Latham Grad Rec).

That makes sense, tysm!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.