TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

flower

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    does anyone know when is generally a bad time to submit for firms with rolling deadlines? I have a few apps I want to submit, but I haven't finished all of them, still want to attend open days, etc, and I don't want to rush my answers

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    Struggling with this question: 'If you were in government what one thing would you change to make it easier for UK businesses to succeed and why?'
    Any tips are greatly appreciated!
    If the firm has a large Real Estate/Infrastructure practice then look into (reforming) the planning system. It has become a nightmare for national economic growth - there was example just this week concerning proposals for a really important data centre to be built on a disused quarry in Buckinghamshire that would have brought in £2.5 billion of investment. It has been blocked by local planning authorities because ... it would spoil views from the 'M25's pedestrian bridges'. Government backed the decision as well despite acknowledging the urgent need for data processing infrastructure. Lots of downstream consequences from lack of planning permissions in general that affect UK businesses.

• Love
    Reactions: jplaw1010

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    Suppose you have limited space to include your extracurriculars, positions of responsibilities and achievements (i.e., 250-300 words). Can you include past achievements and position of responsibilities (including if you've won any specific awards, as I have) in the work experience section? Trying to find a way to shoehorn past achievements without compromising the word count for my current extracurriculars, as I have already written about 280 words just on what I've done this past year...

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    If the firm has a large Real Estate/Infrastructure practice then look into (reforming) the planning system. It has become a nightmare for national economic growth - there was example just this week concerning proposals for a really important data centre to be built on a disused quarry in Buckinghamshire that would have brought in £2.5 billion of investment. It has been blocked by local planning authorities because ... it would spoil views from the 'M25's pedestrian bridges'. Government backed the decision as well despite acknowledging the urgent need for data processing infrastructure. Lots of downstream consequences from lack of planning permissions in general that affect UK businesses.
    Amazing, thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    does anyone know when is generally a bad time to submit for firms with rolling deadlines? I have a few apps I want to submit, but I haven't finished all of them, still want to attend open days, etc, and I don't want to rush my answers
    Aim for the first two thirds of an application window if you can, but don’t give yourself too hard a time if you can’t do that, especially for every application.

Personally I would avoid the last 72 hours though as that’s when the vast majority of people will be applying.

Reactions: flower

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Suppose you have limited space to include your extracurriculars, positions of responsibilities and achievements (i.e., 250-300 words). Can you include past achievements and position of responsibilities (including if you've won any specific awards, as I have) in the work experience section? Trying to find a way to shoehorn past achievements without compromising the word count for my current extracurriculars, as I have already written about 280 words just on what I've done this past year...
    Only if they are in work related matters. Do not try and fit other answers into other sections - it rarely works well and you can be “marked down” for it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    we
    You can put a future date in but wasn't sure what to put considering I don't have a set end date?
    I’d suggest one of two approaches.

You could put the date of your application and then just start the description with something like “In this on-going role” or “This role is a permanent and on-going position”

Alternatively you could add a clearly distinctive future date like 01/01/24 pr 31/12/24 and again make clear in the description that the role is on-going.

Reactions: laby201

DKLaw

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    If you studied a different A-level equivalent course like computing before doing the law A-level equivalent or at a similar level, can/should you discuss that in the why law questions? I am asking because I went through that experience and realized that legal aspects of computing like patents and cyberlaw was what interested me more than the coding/web development part, and that was one of the major reasons that I decided to shift to a law course and pursue a career.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.