TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Advice please- I have a WVS next week and just received an email from grad rec asking for me to remove a twitter 're tweet' from back in 2019. For context, said post was regarding a politics. Do you think this will affect a positive outcome of the VS e.g. a TC offer?
This is very surprising. I would say that it might be a negative thing. However, if I was in your shoes, I would comply with what they are asking and work really hard on the scheme to make everyone at the firm like you. Show all your skills and be a good vacation schemer, and I am sure that they will judge you based on your performance on the internship.

This is something that I never came across so it is kind of a shock for me too, but I would just focus on doing the best that you can without letting this bring you down.

Additionally, I would keep applying to more firms with this vacation scheme in your experience section as this will give you more chances to succeed in the application process with other firms.

I am so sorry this happened to you and I do think it is unfair, especially to vacation scheme students, but as hard as it is, try to not let this incident bring you down and try to be your best self throughout the experience and also enjoy it to the fullest. I am sure you will be able to learn a lot about the job, the sector and you as a person.

Good luck with it! @Missy0909

atlas2425

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 22, 2023
Hello, I just realized I made a very stupid mistake and I am now panicking. I chose the wrong dates for my vacation scheme (spring instead of summer) for HSF, if I contact them to have the dates changed will this effect me negatively in any way and is it possible to do so in the first place?

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: axelbeugre

hannahfl

Esteemed Member
May 30, 2021
Hello, I just realized I made a very stupid mistake and I am now panicking. I chose the wrong dates for my vacation scheme (spring instead of summer) for HSF, if I contact them to have the dates changed will this effect me negatively in any way and is it possible to do so in the first place?

Thank you in advance.
If it’s before the deadline then I don’t see the issue in switching scheme.
I wouldn’t say you made a mistake but just say something vague about something cropping up.

Reactions: atlas2425

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

Thank you in advance.
No, It will not affect you in any capacity, do not worry about it. They are probably used to people switching all the time for visa issues and stuff like this so I am sure they do not look too much into it. It happened to me too and the firm I applied to was so supportive so do not worry!

Last edited:
Reactions: atlas2425

atlas2425

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 22, 2023
No, It will not affect you in any capacity, do not worry about it. They are probably used to people switching all the time for visa issues and stuff like this so I am sure they do not look too much into it. It happened to me to and the firm I applied to was so supportive so do not worry!
Thank you, that is very reassuring to hear!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Abbas J

Star Member
Mar 30, 2023
Hi could I have some advice in relation to this question for Osborne Clarke:

"How have you gone about researching the legal market? What sources of information have you used? How has this led to you making an application to Osborne Clarke?"

I find the term 'legal market' rather vague and I have never specifically researched the legal market but built my knowledge of it by understanding the implications of technology and current market conditions on the legal market.

Would I just use sources such as Chambers Student Guide as I have mostly used this source to research firms and tailor my applications.

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

islasorna

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 29, 2023
Does anyone have any advice regarding my current situation?:
Completed DLA VI on 23rd Oct, it had defo been sent off etc. Didn't hear anything until today when I got an email saying i still hadn't completed my video interview and i have 2 days to do it... I logged into my account and it says i have completed it!
I've emailed grad rec but I'm concerned that they will just reject me before anyone answers my email. Any advice?
Did you ever hear back from grad rec about this? Been over 2 weeks since submitting my VI (I didn't get a confirmation email or anything saying I've done it) - I'm assuming pfo, but would like to know for sure.

Reactions: legallybrunette8

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi @Asil Ahmad - mock interviews are currently £70. It may have been a lower amount some time ago or if a discount was applied, but it’s been £70 per interview for a while now.

Gold subscribers get a 50% discount on the service, so sometimes it can be beneficial to sign up to Gold for a month to utilise the wider materials and then book a mock interview at discount.
    Thank you for this Jessica and I asked as saw it was £70 but in the FAQ section it said £50 so just wanted to double-check it but thank you once again for the clarification.

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi all,

Has anyone completed a Forage internship? At the end, when they provide you with a CV summary, are you ok to just copy and paste that into an application ( obviously adding more context/ what you learned, etc)? But just for the explanation part, for example:

'Clifford Chance Business and Human Rights Global Virtual Internship on Forage - November 2023

Completed the Business and Human Rights Job Simulation where I experienced working with Clifford Chance’s global M&A and Litigation teams on projects that concern human rights.
    Advised a multinational manufacturer of electric car batteries about their requirements under the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act.
    Hosted a Q&A session with a client to educate their in-house legal team about the implications of a new European Directive aiming to increase companies’ ESG standards.
    Assisted a Polish publisher to determine whether they had suitable grounds to pursue a case in the European Court of Human Rights.'

If I were to copy and paste that ( and add more context) would it be an issue? It sounds so much better than how I would explain it and Forage obviously provides it to be used.
    That’s way too much text for forage, you need to cut that down. Keep it to two lines max on your cv, ideally 1. Also ensure to mention it’s a fictional exercise in the description.
    Edit: forage adds so little to you cv, some people just list all the firm names as it wastes too much space otherwise

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.