TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Pennine Valley

Esteemed Member
Nov 18, 2023
Burges Salmon rejection post-AC so here is a lowdown of the AC for those applying for their Spring and Summer VS:

Burges Salmon winter vacation scheme 2023 AC insight:
09:30 – first hour was like an open day – listening to a partner, trainee and grad rec saying how great BS is. Then we chatted in groups to a trainee and had a tour of the office.
11:00 – interview or Watson Glaser (depends on what group you are in)
12:00 – interview or Watson Glaser (depends on what group you are in)
13:00 – dinner
13:45 – group exercise
15:45 – written exercise
16:30 – drinks

The interview was with one partner and lasted around 20-30 mins. The questions asked were:
  • Why BS?
  • Why Law?
  • What do you think your biggest strength and weakness will be as a lawyer
  • What motivates you?
  • Example of working in a team
  • Biggest achievement?
  • Where else have you applied?
  • Talk about a recent case/deal BS have worked on.
  • Asked me to say what I had written as my answer for q3 of the application form

The group exercise consisted of 20 mins to read the document, 45 mins to prepare, and 30 mins to present and answer questions. All of us in the group read the same document – which consisted of background information about the company that was looking to invest/partner with another company. However, one page was different in each document – each different page consisted of a lowdown of a company that was a possible investment/partnership. The company looking to invest/partner was a food store – and all the companies that were available to invest in were technology companies.

The written exercise was a 750-word e-mail summarising:
  1. The advantages and disadvantages of investing/partnering with the company we had chosen in the group exercise.
  1. Any other ways the company can grow in the wellness sector.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Out of interest was the feedback via a platform like TopScore?
    The feedback report mentions "SOVA Assessment." Although I'm not entirely familiar with how it functions, I suspect it operates in a manner akin to TopScore.
    This is so disappointing. I understand that firms may not always provide detailed feedback after initial application stages such as online tests or video interviews, but the assessment centre involves a significant time commitment. So, I would at least expect to receive actionable feedback at this stage - otherwise, I'm left with nothing and I genuinely don't know how to improve.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.