TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

izzy1036

Feb 9, 2023
Anyone applying Goodwin? How do I answer “why Goodwin” in 100 words?😭
I don’t know if this is the proper way to do it, but I spoke about two points (50 words each). I mentioned Goodwin’s strong intellectual property team and linked it very briefly to the work experience I did in that area to show why I was interested. Then, I spoke about Goodwin’s culture and mentioned how I learnt about the culture through an associate I mentioned. It’s hard to fit it all into 100 words but you just have to be concise and try not to add any unnecessary information😭

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Zaakir

Valued Member
May 9, 2023
I don’t know if this is the proper way to do it, but I spoke about two points (50 words each). I mentioned Goodwin’s strong intellectual property team and linked it very briefly to the work experience I did in that area to show why I was interested. Then, I spoke about Goodwin’s culture and mentioned how I learnt about the culture through an associate I mentioned. It’s hard to fit it all into 100 words but you just have to be concise and try not to add any unnecessary information
I don’t know if this is the proper way to do it, but I spoke about two points (50 words each). I mentioned Goodwin’s strong intellectual property team and linked it very briefly to the work experience I did in that area to show why I was interested. Then, I spoke about Goodwin’s culture and mentioned how I learnt about the culture through an associate I mentioned. It’s hard to fit it all into 100 words but you just have to be concise and try not to add any unnecessary information😭
if you don't mind me asking, did you progress to the next stage with them?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
if a q asks how you developed resilience, is taking about moving to a new country and dealing w those challenges a good example or no?
I would say so. In some applications I have done last year, I did talk about the difficulty of moving to the UK as an international student and how I overcame those, highlighting how the situation improved and how it was benefitting me in the end. I think that as long as you keep the focus on what you have done to overcome the issue/challenge and the positive outcome experienced, it is totally fine to mention an example like the one you mentioned.

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and mfuturetrainee

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Is it okay to reuse parts of my application for a VS last year? Or will firms not like this?
It is difficult to come up with something new when the application questions are the same as last year
I think that to a certain degree you should change the answer to show that you are a better candidate than the year before. Try to talk about different things that you have done ever since the last application you have done and show them that you are a better candidate. Whether this looks like highlighting excellent grades you have achieved after the vacation scheme or an internship you have done, a society you have joined, everything that can differentiate your present self from your past self works.

Alternatively, since I understand that changing an entire application is very tiring and can feel time-consuming, you might want to change the words/verbs of the sentences and choose synonyms to explain the same concepts. There are tools online that allow you to do this and the answer will look almost completely different from your previous one.

I hope that helps and good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
For "Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work." (250 words) , I'm considering writing about my reading and creative writing interests and some of my sports hobbies. Not quite sure what and what is off limits to discuss or if I should stick to discussing any volunteering or tutoring classes, etc.

@Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre - I would really appreciate some insight on this!
Hey @flower,

I think that talking about your creative writing pursuits and your sport hobbies is perfectly fine! I think that the question really aims at understanding what you do outside of academia or professionally and mentioning what you have suggested definitely fits into that.

I would also add that they might differentiate you from other candidates since creative writing is not something that everyone does so it will make you stand out for sure. As long as what you want to talk about shows a different side to you and your application (and it answers the question to the fullest) I think that you can talk about what you want!

Good luck with the application!

Reactions: flower

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on applications to law days and the like, and I was just wondering is it okay to talk about upcoming stuff that I am due to start but haven't actually started yet? For example, I am due to start some volunteering work but I haven't begun working there yet. Is it okay then to talk about the stuff I will be doing when I'm there, as opposed to it being something I have already done? (I hope this makes sense)
Hey @lawyerinzootopia,

I personally would not do it and stick to experiences, whether academic or professional, that you have actually done. Once you have started the experience, then I would include it and talk about it in-depth.

The reasoning behind it is that if they ask you about this experience (and potentially ask what you have learned from the experience) in an interview and you make it clear that you still have not started, it might not be clear to someone why you talked about that experience if that makes sense.

Good luck!

Reactions: lawyerinzootopia

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.