TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
Yes, you can include non-academic achievements.

Consider it to be anything where you have had impact outside of the norm or outside what you were expected to do (if in employment/education). For instance, you could have received an “employee of the month” type of award at work; you could have raised a certain amount of money for charity; you could have increased membership for your university society; you could have won an award for a photography competition; you could have run a highly successful side hussle.

There are so many different things it could be (the above are just some examples). The things I wouldn’t include are general academic grades (saying you got a first is not really a distinctive achievement and will be evidenced in your form elsewhere anyway) or anything where you have just done you job (eg “submitted forms that led to our client being successful in court”).
Thank you Jessica!

An additional question, are these sorts achievements not considered here then: for example, running a marathon or something, or learning a new language

WN20

Star Member
Nov 30, 2021
Btw if anyone is still waiting for the separate email to book your AC for Mishcon (like I was lol) you can just directly log on to the Mishcon cvMail website and go into the interviews tab to choose your slot.

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Just an fyi for anyone looking to apply to BCLP, I went to their open day recently and according to current trainees the firm has gone downhill massively in the last few years. Profits per partner down significantly and only 2 NQ jobs offered for over 25 trainees… now I know why they’re not transparent about their retention rates.
I'm glad the trainees you spoke to were transparent about the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If someone self funded the JD and passed the bar in the US, they'd be welcomed with open arms.

Just goes to show how much of a cartel and racket the UK legal training system is.
Although if that was the case, the candidate wouldn’t need a TC at all. The SQE assessments would make them qualified in England and Wales (as the QWE element isn’t needed).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.