TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Chen0106

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 22, 2023
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I am currently applying for the Linklaters WVS and I encountered the question asking whether my undergraduate degree is a law degree. While I did it outside of UK in a civil law country, but it is a law degree indeed. But since it is not a UK qualifying degree, normally I found me should be treated as non-law appicant. I am wondering for this simple question asking whether it is a law degree, should I simply choose yes or choose no because I am technically a non-law applicant? Thank you and I appreaciate your time and support :)

Last edited:
Reactions: axelbeugre

Chen0106

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 22, 2023
Linklaters interview invite weird as thought their deadline is next week
Congrats! But that's really weird as they said that they do not interview on a rolling basis.. But anyway good luck with your interview!
btw I am wondering whether the Linklaters WVS app does not require any information regarding achievements/skills or even work experince, etc.? I've filled it out and saw the "complete" button but found that the app form is so simple that many information normally required by other firms are not asked. I got a wee nervous about this thinking if I missed anything...

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I am currently applying for the Linklater WVS and I encountered the question asking whether my undergraduate degree is a law degree. While I did it outside of UK in a civil law country, but it is a law degree indeed. But since it is not a UK qualifying degree, normally I found me should be treated as non-law appicant. I am wondering for this simple question asking whether it is a law degree, should I simply choose yes or choose no because I am technically a non-law applicant? Thank you and I appreaciate your time and support :)
I would check with Linklaters as unfortunately different firms have different approaches/views on this (and I am not sure what Linklaters’ is).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone experienced a law firm application system whereby you receive the link to the online assessment before you have even completed the initial application?
This is a system some firms have used. It’s not common, but can often be a much more time effective way of doing things for candidates (eg they don’t invest many hours into an application to then be filtered out by a 30 minute test).

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Rejected by HSF for winter vs this morning (after passing the test). I don't know what went wrong because genuinely I thought it was one of my strongest applications.... I also applied to Disputes Open Day thinking I can use it to get more insights before AC (yes I was overly confident, I thought I will get an AC) but honestly I don't even know if I should go anymore since they do not allow reapplications in the same cycle... Can someone advise me on what to do :(

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Hi! I've emailed them about this before, here's what they said:

"Our vacation schemes are for second year law students, and penultimate year non-law students only.
    We do have direct training contracts which will be for final years, training contract to stat in 2025.
    Our paralegal academy will open for application in springtime too, which law grads/final years are eligible for, if they can start in June 2024.
    "

Thanks for letting me know

Arianne Kez

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 7, 2023
    Hi!

When applications ask for further information about your undergraduate degree what should you include?

I have been including activities and societies, dissertation topic and grade and overall degree grade.

Should I be including anything else?

Thanks
    Arianne

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    Rejected by HSF for winter vs this morning (after passing the test). I don't know what went wrong because genuinely I thought it was one of my strongest applications.... I also applied to Disputes Open Day thinking I can use it to get more insights before AC (yes I was overly confident, I thought I will get an AC) but honestly I don't even know if I should go anymore since they do not allow reapplications in the same cycle... Can someone advise me on what to do :(
    Hey Izzy so sorry to hear this. Can I ask when you submitted your application?

bw1012

Premium Member
    Oct 8, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker (and everyone else!) I have a question concerning the marking strikes that have recently come to an end. I'm in the process of applying for vacation schemes but do not have a final degree mark or any of my final year module marks yet. I've been told that I should receive them in November but my university did not specify exactly when. My question is should I wait until I receive those final marks to apply and would it be disadvantageous to apply now without those marks? Thank you so much!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.