TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Struggling to write apps since getting batches of pfo🤮
    You force yourself to write an app for a firm that you think you dont have a good chemistry with and get slammed with PFO straight away.
    OR You write for the firm that you are really interested in but don't hear back for ages or get PFO. Whats worse ha

A piece of advice I have for you is to never get too attached to a firm. Last application cycle, I went into it with the mindset of applying to firms that I really wanted to work at and that I built some sort of inner connection with. After receiving more than a dozen pfos, I found myself in a slump. However, taking a break and changing my mindset to 'apply to any firm you find interesting' rather than 'the firms you have chemistry with' was definitely the turning point in allowing me to gain some success.

Take a break, don't get emotionally attached to these firms that are sifting through thousands of applications, and you'll find that each rejection turns into a 'meh' rather than an 'ouch'. You kind of need to be robotic and indifferent so that you don't find yourself in a slump!

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    A piece of advice I have for you is to never get too attached to a firm. Last application cycle, I went into it with the mindset of applying to firms that I really wanted to work at and that I built some sort of inner connection with. After receiving more than a dozen pfos, I found myself in a slump. However, taking a break and changing my mindset to 'apply to any firm you find interesting' rather than 'the firms you have chemistry with' was definitely the turning point in allowing me to gain some success.

Take a break, don't get emotionally attached to these firms that are sifting through thousands of applications, and you'll find that each rejection turns into a 'meh' rather than an 'ouch'. You kind of need to be robotic and indifferent so that you don't find yourself in a slump!
    Weil pfo, and like what @EliteWhovian said, MEH

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Accountability: Need to start and send off HL and Mishcon apps before the deadline today lol

If anyone has a smart way of reminding yourself automatically that an app's deadline is coming up, I desperately need to implement in

dinoorchestra

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Accountability: Need to start and send off HL and Mishcon apps before the deadline today lol

If anyone has a smart way of reminding yourself automatically that an app's deadline is coming up, I desperately need to implement in
    I have a task on my private Trello for each law firm I apply to! You can set a deadline for yourself there (or the firm's deadline), and then it will remind you ahead of time. Maybe that is something you'd like to try? I guess that also works with the iOS Calendar app.

77777law

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 22, 2023
    The Osborne Clarke application has the following question: What work has Osborne Clarke done recently that is of particular interest to you? Why do you feel inspired by this type of work?

@Jessica Booker - Do you believe I could reference a deal that a trainee mentioned they were involved in during a client secondment? Or could this potentially be deemed irrelevant, given that the transaction was predominantly managed by the client's legal counsel (where the trainee was on secondment), with only minor oversight from Osborne Clarke?

Thank you for your help!

Lopez2017

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 11, 2023
    Congrats for everyone who got Reed Smith test + VI invite.

I got invited yesterday, as with lots of others it seems, and the email says that I have until Jan 10th to complete the test. Any idea if this is also the deadline for the VI? It seems like we only get the link for the VI once we've done the test.

Reactions: 19.mfjones

danturner

Star Member
    Sep 6, 2023
    Congrats for everyone who got Reed Smith test + VI invite.

I got invited yesterday, as with lots of others it seems, and the email says that I have until Jan 10th to complete the test. Any idea if this is also the deadline for the VI? It seems like we only get the link for the VI once we've done the test.
    I believe the VI is at the end of the test, rather than as a separate link.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Lopez2017

ammiel

Dec 30, 2023
    Got a Weil VI (about an hour ago) and applied 5 hours before the deadline. Had a friend apply even later than myself, and she heard back about 2 days ago. I honestly think everyone still waiting has a shot, applications have likely been split by Early careers team. And think about the delay as a chance to work on your interview skills for longer! Good luck everyone!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.