TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hi, was wondering if anyone knows which firms aren't so picky about first year grades? No "legit" ECs, but I was HEAVILY influenced by someone whom I was in a toxic relationship with and wasn't studying as I should've, and I was also constantly going through mental battles. I had two horrendous grades of the five exams I took. Truly, truly horrendous. I did several legal work experiences back to back during the summer, and am involved in many clubs and societies. Feeling incredibly discouraged. Where on earth could I even apply to?
I feel you I also bombed my first year (2.2) because of an awful relationship too and I would say American firms post-graduation seem to care less about my marks but could be because I eventually got a 2.1. I think don't waste your time on Slaughter & May at least (they're the most elitist and worst imo) and try your best to get a 2.1 overall then you will be fine. In the meantime, apply for US firms for sure they tend to take a more holistic look at apps from my experience at least.

vecna

Standard Member
Jan 9, 2024
Congratulations! Very well done!

In terms of tips, I have talked to some friends who did the assessment last year and they said:
  • Do your thorough research on the firm and always be able to speak on why you want to join the firm. This should include everything you find interesting or relevant about the firm.
  • Make your motivation to join the firm obvious and highlight how training at the firm will be a much better fit for you than training at any other firm. This is something that a friend emphasised a lot, and it means that you should be able to pick and choose aspects of the training at the firm that appeals to you and makes sense to your way of learning or approaching a situation.
  • Be very commercially aware. The article that they often give to the interviewees is a commercial piece of article and the assessment is a way for you to show how well you deal with commercial news. They do not want a know-it-all, but someone that is very teachable, curious and eager to learn so try to show these skills by summarising the article to the best of your ability and finding links to things you have read or studied and interrogate yourself on how this might affect the business world, the legal sector as a whole, and finally the firm itself.
  • Be extremely personable but very professional as soon as you get into the office. My friend highlighted how it might be very intimidating especially because they ask you to leave your phone somewhere and it feels like you are going to war in a way, but do not see it like that. Take it as an opportunity to experience some time at a fair that interests you and a chance to get to know the lawyers working there and their personalities.

I hope these helps and good luck with the assessment!
This is incredibly helpful, thank you so much for taking the time to collate this advice! :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.