Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can i ask what exactly firms are looking for in regard to written exercises?
It depends on the exercise, but typically some of the following:

- Accuracy
- Structure
- Conciseness
- Appropriate level of tone
- Knowing your audience
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
- Commercial awareness
- An ability to identify what’s important
- Presenting information persuasively

DKLaw

Star Member
Feb 8, 2023
How realistic is it to get a VS or TC offer if you haven't had many conventional jobs in general? There is usually an emphasis on how non-legal work experience is equally as important, but what if you don't have much work experience at all? I am 23, and graduating this year (with a 2:1 most likely), and I have really struggled to go past the application stage, and only progressed to the second stage for 2 firms (apart from an AC for the GLD last year). I know I haven't submitted enough applications, but please be real, how common is it to get a TC with a few jobs on your CV like takeaway worker, delivery driving, while having most of your experience in online gigs like content creation and freelance?

Reactions: atlas2425

Heartofglass

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2023
What's the etiquette on handshakes at assessment centres? Should we initiative handshakes with interviewers or assume not unless they do?
To me, all impressions count so I would definitely initiate a handshake before my interviewers have a chance to do so. It really shows (and boosts) your confidence as it will put you in the 'I'm in control' mentality from the first minute.

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    To me, all impressions count so I would definitely initiate a handshake before my interviewers have a chance to do so. It really shows (and boosts) your confidence as it will put you in the 'I'm in control' mentality from the first minute.
    I agree with this so much! Post covid though, I try to lead with “is everyone good with handshakes” in case someone happens to be a germophobe or clinically vulnerable

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.