TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Claristered

Mar 17, 2022
Hi guys! I applied for BCLP’s spring vacation scheme this Monday and got the email to do the test on Monday as well. I am planning to do it on Saturday/Sunday since they give 7 days to do it and I want to be very well prepared for it. Does anyone have any tips and do you know when we should hear back for an interview if we were successful? I know that it is a test encompassing situational judgment, critical reasoning and verbal reasoning and that we are given automatic feedback but that’s about it. Thank you so much!

ccfuturetraineesolicitor

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2022
Is anyone still waiting to hear back about their HSF test? I got to re-do mine due to mitigating circumstances and I still don't know if I passed :'(
hey - the email regarding the outcome of the test can vary - i got the email saying i passed within 2 hours of doing the test but i think generally, you should get it within a couple days of doing the test. If you have been waiting for more than a week, I would suggest emailing grad rec

BlueMoon

Standard Member
Oct 18, 2023
Hi everyone - panicky first time vac scheme applicant here!

Does anyone have any idea on timelines for Ashurst, Linklaters and AO in particular? I can see people have recieved AC's and PFOs but ive heard nothing... I'm expecting negative outcomes tbh but at this point its the not-knowing that is killing me....

Reactions: sunshine101

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hi everyone, For the work experience section does anyone have any advice regarding the writing style. Do you recommend using sentences like "I drafted" or use the CV format avoiding "I", "me" and "my" in writing. Also do you recommend highlighting any transferable skills or keeping it factual, i.e. outlining the task and my contribution?

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Hi everyone, For the work experience section does anyone have any advice regarding the writing style. Do you recommend using sentences like "I drafted" or use the CV format avoiding "I", "me" and "my" in writing. Also do you recommend highlighting any transferable skills or keeping it factual, i.e. outlining the task and my contribution?
Heyy, I tend to go for CV style (idk if anyone has any advice that differs because I’m also interested). I went to the Mishcon open day today and they said it’s important to highlight transferable skills as well as just detailing role, results, etc. especially if there’s not as much scope within the competency questions to go into a lot of depth about skills you’ve developed. Hope that helps :)

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Heyy, I tend to go for CV style (idk if anyone has any advice that differs because I’m also interested). I went to the Mishcon open day today and they said it’s important to highlight transferable skills as well as just detailing role, results, etc. especially if there’s not as much scope within the competency questions to go into a lot of depth about skills you’ve developed. Hope that helps :)
To add sorry, I tend to structure the sentences using ‘I’ so like “I drafted X with Y result” which is how it’s set out on my CV too

Reactions: johnnn821

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would write in full prose, and you can write things like I, my, we, our (unlike a CV where the bullet point format means this stuff is redundant). I personally don’t feel like transferable skills need to be claimed most of the time as your evidence will usually highlight those skills anyway. There are some exceptions, particularly when something is not obvious (eg your solution was creative/innovative).

Reactions: johnnn821

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
I would write in full prose, and you can write things like I, my, we, our (unlike a CV where the bullet point format means this stuff is redundant). I personally don’t feel like transferable skills need to be claimed most of the time as your evidence will usually highlight those skills anyway. There are some exceptions, particularly when something is not obvious (eg your solution was creative/innovative).
Great! Thank you very much Jessica

wz_13

Distinguished Member
Jan 3, 2023
can i talk about crocheting as an example of extra curricular activity for a law firm app q - i can relate it to skills like attention to detail, creativity and innovation, thinking outside the box problem solving etc. or would this be the wrong approach (i dont have much else to talk about that i havent already mentioned in other app qs)

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
can i talk about crocheting as an example of extra curricular activity for a law firm app q - i can relate it to skills like attention to detail, creativity and innovation, thinking outside the box problem solving etc. or would this be the wrong approach (i dont have much else to talk about that i havent already mentioned in other app qs)
Yes, draw on those points. It’s quite a unique extra curricular too

• Love
Reactions: wz_13

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.