Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This thread is being de-railed and I don't want that to happen.

If you think what I said was nasty then report my post.

I am keeping my post up and saying no more.
You can keep the post up, but I must stress your tone and responses are unnecessary and not appreciated.

The forums are designed to be a supportive environment for everyone, and the way in which you are currently responding to people is not aligned with that.

Please do keep this in mind for future posts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I 'bring misery' onto you from my posts then I apologise but I will not be censored from giving my opinion. What I said was acceptable and not abusive in anyway. Tag Jess all you want. My post won't get removed and I won't get banned lol.
I wouldn’t be so confident about that.

I am in the process of reviewing all posts and will have no hesitation in removing posts or banning you for a period of time if appropriate and if your posts breach our terms. Continued behaviour like those in your previous posts will fall foul of our terms under section 1 - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/help/terms/

ayek

Oct 11, 2023
Has anyone done the DLA Piper video interview? Not sure what kind of questions I should prepare for... Motivation? strengths? commercial awareness question?? :(
From DLA’s website:

The video interview has been developed to assess your motivations and alignment to the role you have applied for. It will consist of three questions which are focused on the behaviours which are important to be successful at DLA Piper.

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
I don’t wanna derail it even further but surely attending an open day is valuable on an application. Of course it’s up to the applicant to make a good impression on the day by starting conversations and asking good questions/create engaging discussions to help with the “why this firm” section? Or is name dropping bad?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept a list of people that stood out on the day or else why go through the time, money and effort of having selective open days?

Edit: typo

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Jones day PFO, honestly don’t know what these firms want. This even after speaking with them at an event and applying those in my cover letter. Talk about linking your own experiences to the firm and still get rejected, well….
    Hey, sorry to hear this. I think the best thing you could do is consider whether you have actually detailed how these experiences with the firm have contributed to your reasons for applying. Personally, if the only takeaway I have from an event is that I spoke to a trainee - I err on the side of caution before including this to avoid sounding like I’m name dropping. Make sure you’re using these interactions as a way to display you’ve learnt something new, or it’s influenced you in other ways. Difficult to do as some of these events are a bore but good luck!

Also just know these things happen. I had an internship with Slaughter & May which I won off the back of an award. I met a ton of people and learnt valuable things. When it came to my TC - they rejected me whilst I was still interning at the firm. I decided to call the graduate recruiter internally and ask what more could I actually do, and he explained the most bizarre reasons. Apparently they preferred bullet points for a CV or something. It didn’t matter to them that I won an award, or that I actually interned at the firm - but at the end they rejected me over formatting (well they claim).

Just take it with a pinch of salt and don’t give up.

Equally, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. JD is very competitive and from what I gather, they opt for a specific type of candidate (I could be wrong, but I’ve not seen anything to disprove this just yet).

Keep applying to other firms this cycle, and who knows maybe one day in your career if you’re at another firm, and your name makes the headlines, JD will personally email you asking you to apply for a lateral job in one of their growing departments… if it’s where you want to be, I have no doubt that you have the rest of your career to work towards getting there in the end. Good luck x

jas1502

Aug 2, 2023
    I have a few interviews for WVS coming up and I'm a little bit anxious as I've never attended a law firm interview - I'm hoping the nerves won't make me trip over my own feet under the pressure! Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for interviews with HR & partners respectively? Thank you so much!

Reactions: Norturn

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    I have a few interviews for WVS coming up and I'm a little bit anxious as I've never attended a law firm interview - I'm hoping the nerves won't make me trip over my own feet under the pressure! Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for interviews with HR & partners respectively? Thank you so much!
    I’d definitely take advice from someone who has actually gotten a TC. But in my last assessment centre, I got close to full marks in the interview (it was just the case study that bought me down).

My feedback for the interview, which I hope you consider, was that my motivation for why law could be improved.

My problem was, when the interviewer asked me why not business consultancy instead. I was stumped. I honestly couldn’t think of the difference. So I would definitely say, if there is anything in your application that makes it seem like if not for law you would have gone down a different career route, definitely prepare to be asked about this!

Good luck xx

Louise59

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Hey, sorry to hear this. I think the best thing you could do is consider whether you have actually detailed how these experiences with the firm have contributed to your reasons for applying. Personally, if the only takeaway I have from an event is that I spoke to a trainee - I err on the side of caution before including this to avoid sounding like I’m name dropping. Make sure you’re using these interactions as a way to display you’ve learnt something new, or it’s influenced you in other ways. Difficult to do as some of these events are a bore but good luck!

Also just know these things happen. I had an internship with Slaughter & May which I won off the back of an award. I met a ton of people and learnt valuable things. When it came to my TC - they rejected me whilst I was still interning at the firm. I decided to call the graduate recruiter internally and ask what more could I actually do, and he explained the most bizarre reasons. Apparently they preferred bullet points for a CV or something. It didn’t matter to them that I won an award, or that I actually interned at the firm - but at the end they rejected me over formatting (well they claim).

Just take it with a pinch of salt and don’t give up.

Equally, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. JD is very competitive and from what I gather, they opt for a specific type of candidate (I could be wrong, but I’ve not seen anything to disprove this just yet).

Keep applying to other firms this cycle, and who knows maybe one day in your career if you’re at another firm, and your name makes the headlines, JD will personally email you asking you to apply for a lateral job in one of their growing departments… if it’s where you want to be, I have no doubt that you have the rest of your career to work towards getting there in the end. Good luck x
    Hi - just wondering what type of candidate JD go for? :)

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Hi guys! I need some input.. I am planning to do my A&O vac scheme test on the deadline day around 11am (deadline is 5pm).. Is this ok?? A&O recruit on a non rolling basis as well.

I want to prep more for the VI and take it when I feel more confident. I am also worried applying on the deadline day will put me in a disadvantaged position. Please advise 🙏🏻
    Can someone pls help me with this?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.