Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Mother please come and give these kids some slaps or at least something to worry about.
You lot stress me out at times for no reason at all!

Relaxed Chill Out GIF by VH1

Please keep it civil. There are various ways in which competitors can be defined. The key to any good answer to these type of questions is how YOU are creating that definition!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys! I have 2 applications in for Spring VS that have no more stages (completed everything, just waiting for offers/PFOs to be sent to people), but have had no indication when we'll hear from them. Given I would have to organise travel into London, staying in London, etc. for the duration and also have to arrange time off work for them, how long before they are due to start do you think its appropriate to email/call and ask for an update? It's currently about 5 weeks out from the one starting and 6 weeks for the other.
I would contact them now.

Reactions: elektrajenkov

Heartofglass

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2023
What firm is this? There could be 1000s of possible questions, but you could filter it down by looking for the firm-specific possible VI questions
Hahahaha, sorry but I have to quote Lady Gaga after reading this reply:

'There can be a hundred possible questions in the room, and 99 you prepared for. But if you mess up one, tough luck then.'

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

Hi, I am applying for a vac scheme with a firm that has recently started doing a work experience scheme. Both are two week long. Both use the same application form. I asked the recruiter if I can apply to both and she sounded a little unsure at first but then said I can.

Am I okay to just copy and paste? I mean the application forms are identical so i don't know what else to do. Also, the reason why I am applying for the work experience programme as well is because there's no online test and so it's easier to get some sort of experience even if I don't make it to the vacation scheme.
thank you!! <3

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I want to apply to a firm that has a set week for interviews that I already know I won't be available for, is it better to just not apply? or to contact them now to ask if they can normally accommodate interviews at a later date? or just to apply and then get in touch if I get invited to an interview?
I would contact them to see if they have any flexibility with their deadlines before applying.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

Hi, I am applying for a placement scheme with a firm that has recently started doing a work experience scheme. Both are two week long. Both use the same application form. I asked the recruiter if I can apply to both and she sounded a little unsure at first but then said I can.

Am I okay to just copy and paste? I mean the application forms are identical so i don't know what else to do. Also, the reason why I am applying for the work experience placement as well is because there's no online test and so it's easier to get some sort of experience even if I don't make it to the vacation scheme.
thank you!! <3
Are you sure you are eligible for both? I'd normally expect there to be different criteria for programmes like this.

But if you are eligible, based on the comments from the recruiter, then yes you can apply with similar answers.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Are you sure you are eligible for both? I'd normally expect there to be different criteria for programmes like this.

But if you are eligible, based on the comments from the recruiter, then yes you can apply with similar answers.
I emailed them for eligibility too but they said final-year students are eligible to apply. They didn't specify whether non-residents can apply too even though I asked for confirmation on that. I can't find anything about their new Work Experience programme anywhere on the website (or the internet). I only have the link to the application form. Without meaning to sound unnecessarily grumpy (lol), the responses I have had from the firm aren't very detailed so their communications feel quite rushed and don't always answer the question.

Should I email the recruiter asking if I am eligible? Over email she may have more time to consider. Would I be daft asking her if I can use the same responses for both applications (even though they will be duplicates)?

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
Anyone applied to PMC? I did but can’t see my app on their portal. I wrote them an email to confirm receipt of my application since I never got a confirmation email either but no response from them.
I got an email receipt when I applied but no email receipt after filling out the rare recruitment form that was sent after and I've heard nothing since then. I'm worried i didn't submit the rare recruitment form properly and so my application hasnt gone through.

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2023
Let’s look at the example of the car industry for instance: Tesla and Ferrari are both car manufactures. Now just because Tesla produces electric cars and Ferrari produces high performance petrol cars doesn’t mean that they are not competitors. Just because they try to target different audiences, brand themselves differently, price their cars differently etc. does not take away from the fundamental aspect that they are both car manufacturers in the same industry.

Ha! Bet you didn't know that @ElonMusk!

I love how you claimed they are competitors yet provided the arguments that perfectly contradict your statement.

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: NJS

holz567

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
If anyone wants to feel better about themselves about how this application process is going, just be rest assured that it could not go worse than my AC today if you tried.

I felt like my written exercise went quite well and then came my partner interview. I felt prepared and the interview was progressing positively. However, I gesticulate a lot during interviews (not a regular amount, but excessively). I took the Partner’s offer for a glass of water at the start of the interview and as I’m sure you can imagine how this story ends, my hand knocked over the glass of water, which spilt all over my shirt, lap, and onto the chair.

The Partner gave an awkward laugh and said not to worry as they fetched a paper towel, but I was absolutely mortified. The rest of my answers were obviously not good as I was uncomfortable in both a physical and emotional sense.

When I went to the toilet afterwards to dry myself off and to hold back the tears, I realised that my white shirt was lower quality than I imagined. When I knocked the glass with such vigour, it splashed a lot of water onto my shirt. As such, it had gone slightly see through and I was very likely flashing a Partner I’d just met my bra.

So, if you think things go badly for you, at least you didn’t soak yourself, embarrass yourself, and let a Partner know Victoria’s Secret!

I’m sure I’ll laugh about it one day and sharing it makes the pain slightly worse. Perhaps they’ll give me a VS out of pity. A fat glass of wine is now needed.

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
If anyone wants to feel better about themselves about how this application process is going, just be rest assured that it could not go worse than my AC today if you tried.

I felt like my written exercise went quite well and then came my partner interview. I felt prepared and the interview was progressing positively. However, I gesticulate a lot during interviews (not a regular amount, but excessively). I took the Partner’s offer for a glass of water at the start of the interview and as I’m sure you can imagine how this story ends, my hand knocked over the glass of water, which spilt all over my shirt, lap, and onto the chair.

The Partner gave an awkward laugh and said not to worry as they fetched a paper towel, but I was absolutely mortified. The rest of my answers were obviously not good as I was uncomfortable in both a physical and emotional sense.

When I went to the toilet afterwards to dry myself off and to hold back the tears, I realised that my white shirt was lower quality than I imagined. When I knocked the glass with such vigour, it splashed a lot of water onto my shirt. As such, it had gone slightly see through and I was very likely flashing a Partner I’d just met my bra.

So, if you think things go badly for you, at least you didn’t soak yourself, embarrass yourself, and let a Partner know Victoria’s Secret!

I’m sure I’ll laugh about it one day and sharing it makes the pain slightly worse. Perhaps they’ll give me a VS out of pity. A fat glass of wine is now needed.
This sounds like my worst nightmare! I’m so sorry that happened to you! I’m sure you’ll look back one day and laugh about it. Don’t beat yourself up too much about it, accidents happen.

holz567

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
This sounds like my worst nightmare! I’m so sorry that happened to you
Thank you! It was honestly like a comedy sketch and will probably never live it down.

Ah well, at least I’ll always have a funny story to pull out if needs be? But hope that goes to show everyone that things can always go much, much worse!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.