TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If I get a TC and the firm has a specific provider, can I ask to switch? Hearing all the horror stories about BPP is making me consider whether it might even be worth self-funding to avoid it lol.
You can try to ask, my cohort tried but unfortunately law firms have relationships with the providers that cannot be ended so abruptly and only because the candidates do not want to be at that school. Realistically speaking each provider has a bad reputation if you ask people who go to Ulaw you will hear the same thing so there is no point personally speaking.

Reactions: futuretrainee2024

nliro85

Star Member
Jan 25, 2024
I always did it so I personally think it does not hurt to do it!

You will come off as a nice person regardless. I do not think that this will make or break your chances of getting the offer, but it is always nice to appreciate people's time and effort in my opinion.
Thank you and was thinking that also as they are busy people so just thank them for their time.

Reactions: axelbeugre

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    I always did it so I personally think it does not hurt to do it!

You will come off as a nice person regardless. I do not think that this will make or break your chances of getting the offer, but it is always nice to appreciate people's time and effort in my opinion.
    Ditto this. I also think it helps those that feel they unsure about their interview performances to email your interviewers direct. At least in my experience (and I am sure this is not every firm nor every interviewer), the ones I have emailed post-interview have feedback their enjoyment talking with me or even proactively encouraging reach out when successful. It helps - especially if you are offered the scheme - as you have already developed your rapport with potential supervisors. It means you're going in day one with already relationships ready. I similarly do not think it makes or breaks your chances of getting an offer, but I have - again in my experience - been able to roughly gauge how I performed by some feedback. Ultimately, it lets you build your network, gain a bit of insight, and makes you look very proactive on your part. It also gives you the opportunity to ask any burning questions you had post-interview about the firm (as most will reply asking if you had any follow up questions you were unable to ask).

Reactions: axelbeugre

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I know this is very much a “how long is a piece of string” sort of question, but for those who have been successful at an AC, how much preparation would you say you do?

Would you start say a week in advance with a few hours each day or typically more? It’s hard when trying to balance preparation with other commitments.

Pinsent (6 hour AC in person) prepped for a good 3 weeks and I was on holiday, I took my iPad and read Ziplaw everday. On my 7 hour flight back to the UK I purchased WiFi and worked solely on AC prep, my interview and case study were my top strengths in my AC, I got a PFO as I didn’t complete the in tray 😭 felt like a slap in the face.

Simmons (5 hour AC) I did prep the day of the AC as I was burnt out and thought I had secured Pinsent TC the day before 🤣🤣

Goodwin (45 min interview) I had prepped for 2 weeks or so but I also attended a mentoring class on a Saturday at 5am (time zone difference) to get a better insight to the firm. I think if I didn’t go to that I wouldn’t have got an offer.

Farrer (2 hour AC) I did no prep as there was no interview just written exercise and group assessment, having done these things in the other AC’s I felt like I didn’t need to prep.

I think it is dependant on how the firms AC is laid out, I found every single one different but the more I did them the better I got? I work full time and I sacrificed a decent amount of sleep for a few weeks to prep.

Hope this helps :)

DieHard

Star Member
    Feb 14, 2024
    I don’t think this is necessarily true. You don’t need legal experience to be a competitive candidate. Legal experience is advantageous but not compulsory. I remember attending a firm event and a future trainee said the only job she had ever had was as a customer assistant at Sainsbury’s. But there are so many transferable skills in that role. Do things that you enjoy/challenge you. Like sports or taking part in a society as a committee member or playing an instrument or a part time job at a restaurant. Commit it to it and watch yourself grow! And also I agree with what DieHard said about the importance of being a well rounded candidate but you need to be a human first and foremost! Yes you’ve got good grades and legal experience but what about your soft skills? Do you become nasty to others when they make mistakes? These things matter too!
    I didn't say you need legal experience. I said the competition is people with strong extra curricular, society exec positions, university prestige and strong grades. The suggestion of being a paralegal was if she has since graduated uni or doesn't have enough time left to really adopt these factors, legal experience for a year would provide the most direct and available chance to make up for not being involved enough at university. She could equally go and become an accountant for a year, but this may raise questions in the interview that are easier avoided. She may also work stocking shelves, but again, this puts her at a disadvantage in the current climate of fierce competition.

DieHard

Star Member
    Feb 14, 2024
    Adding to what DieHard has said about BPP, sometimes lessons would be cancelled with half an hour's notice or they would substitute the tutor and you'd have a public law tutor teaching contract etc.

90% of the teaching couldn't be faulted though, it's more of the administration side that is a pain in the arse. Which it seemed the tutors were as frustrated with as students, at certain points.
    i haven't heard of lessons being cancelled, but I would add its not uncommon for you to get into BPP for your Monday morning 9am and then being sent an email saying your class is now online which is rather irriating

• Wow
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi all, a firm is asking when I am available for an AC. Is it reasonable to tell them that I available for the AC 2 weeks later - is this too long of a wait for them? Or should I try to move around my plans so that I can go for the AC asap at an earlier date?
    You could say that you are available in 2 weeks but if need be you can rearrange to accommodate their needs, that is the approach I used to take when presented with a similar situation.

As long as you give alternatives, I think you will be fine.

Congratulations for obtaining the assessment centre!!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: MrHubertLouis and Sharon Wu

DieHard

Star Member
    Feb 14, 2024
    Hi all, a firm is asking when I am available for an AC. Is it reasonable to tell them that I available for the AC 2 weeks later - is this too long of a wait for them? Or should I try to move around my plans so that I can go for the AC asap at an earlier date?
    Honestly, I don't know - I've also never heard of a firm just asking a candidate when they fancy doing the interview, rather than just giving them a date or option of a few dates. If I were you, I would avoid telling them you can only meet after 2 weeks, what do you have going on between then and now that you can't move?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: MrHubertLouis and Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker is it okay to email the senior associate and the member of grad rec that interviewed me to thank them for their time? Or would you prefer only grad rec?
    Yes, it is okay, I personally did it with partners and they were super nice about it so I do not think there is any harm in reaching out, especially if they invited you to reach out in the interview, which they did with me.

I would reach to both. The senior associate might not reply but at least you have been respect and appreciative of their time and that is all that counts in my opinion.

Good luck for the result, I am sure you did amazing!

Reactions: Amehta1

yasmars

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    I just submitted an application and when I downloaded it on my PC, it was formatted in a strange version which is not how I submitted the application. The downloaded version had a couple of words together but I remember that when I wrote my application those were separated by a space bar Has it ever happened to anyone else before?
    yes this happens to me whenever I submit an application with cvmail

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.