Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What should I do to keep my chances high?
Keep developing your candidacy/profile and take on any feedback that you are given for self improvement - whether that be through recruitment processes or just day to day life. Also try to continue to interact with the firm if they are running careers events.

Jimz

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2020
It's been 3 weeks since my AC with Latham and the firm still hasn't gotten back to me. They originally said they'd provide a response within two weeks. Anyone in the same situation? @Jessica Booker your advice re approaching this/following up would be much appreciated

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It's been 3 weeks since my AC with Latham and the firm still hasn't gotten back to me. They originally said they'd provide a response within two weeks. Anyone in the same situation? @Jessica Booker your advice re approaching this/following up would be much appreciated
I’d wait until the end of this week (eg around the 15th) and then send them a brief but polite email asking if they can provide any details of estimated timelines you will hear back (rather than asking for an outcome).

Reactions: axelbeugre and Jimz

mp2000

Distinguished Member
Jan 29, 2024
Really worried about my performance on the Hill Dickinson Amberjack OA...I scored decently well for Grit and Applied Intellect (7/9 for both) but for Creative Force and Digital Mindset I seemed to have performed quite terribly (4/9 for both). Should I be expecting a PFO? Not sure if this helps my case but I demonstrated a 'good ability' for Applied Verbal Intellect and 'excelled' in Applied Numerical Intellect. The VI at the end was alright but also not my best work...

SaLM

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2024
Really worried about my performance on the Hill Dickinson Amberjack OA...I scored decently well for Grit and Applied Intellect (7/9 for both) but for Creative Force and Digital Mindset I seemed to have performed quite terribly (4/9 for both). Should I be expecting a PFO? Not sure if this helps my case but I demonstrated a 'good ability' for Applied Verbal Intellect and 'excelled' in Applied Numerical Intellect. The VI at the end was alright but also not my best work...
Don't worry, everyone i've seen (including me) has scored awfully on it so getting 7s means you have nothing to worry about lol

• 🤝
Reactions: mp2000 and legallybrunette8

DieHard

Star Member
Feb 14, 2024
Likely depends on quality of candidates you're competing against, as well as the quality of the firm. I don't know much about Hill Dickinson, but I imagine they'll allow a lower threshold for score compared to larger firms.

Reactions: mp2000

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Not yet received written contract for a VS oral offer made the last week of February. Should I just wait, as I believe some offers still going out/ they are doing conflict checking, or is this something I should be following up on @Jessica Booker
Have you provided the information for conflict checks?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
When prepping for the classic "who are our competitors?" question, would it be logical to look at where the firm has recently 'poached' lawyers from? If there's a trend of lawyers moving over from a specific firm that would indicate they're competitors right?
Yes, that would be a good indication and something to mention for sure, that is a starting point for sure. You could potentially look at law firms who are really strong in the sectors that the firm you applied to is good at too, as well as, law firms they have been against in previous deals/cases too. This was my approach when reflecting on questions like this.

Reactions: tcla888

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If you get progressed to interview stages for firms in one cycle, is it necessary the same will happen next cycle?
Unfortunately this is hard to tell but realistically speaking no. I have friends who applied to firms that they interviewed with the year before and still got rejected after application stage and did not receive an interview.

I think it depends on the strength of your application and how the competition is that year but if the firm does not stop you from applying (because some do if you got rejected from the assessment centre stage) I would encourage you to apply and make your application from scratch, highlighting what changed in your application and I am sure you will be invited for an interview again!

Reactions: tcplease2345

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Are there any disadvantages to applying for a direct training contract with a firm as opposed to going through the vacation scheme route? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
Alongside what @Jessica Booker has highlighted, it is important to note that there are less spots for direct training contracts. Some firms only recruit 1 or 2 people from the direct training contract route, which makes the process very hard.

Moreover, some firms only recruit from the vacation scheme which means that you will not be able to apply to those firms.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre this might be a stupid question but which practice helps the client to determine how an acquistion should be structured? would this just be corporate?
This is not a stupid question in the slightest so do not apologise!

I would say Corporate, M&A, Finance, Antitrust, Real Estate (in some instances). I think that these are some of the things I would consider.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.