TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong as I don’t know the approach to take on these questions, but when you’re focusing on who a firm’s competitors are, is there a “right answer”?

For example, if I’m looking at White & Case’s competitors, would Norton Rose Fulbright be one due to its strength in projects and energy like W&C? Or would it better to just go with Latham, Clifford Chance etc with the capital market focus?

I don’t want to try and be “too clever” for my own good if that makes sense and end up tripping myself up!
I think it is all about perspective. It depends on how you look at it as lawyers would say. If you are focusing on capital markets, you would mention certain firms, if you are focusing on energy, ESG work, you would focus on other firms as competitors. The same goes for litigation or international arbitration, competitors of W&C in these sectors might be different than their capital markets one.

I personally do not think that there is a specific right answer to be honest, it depends on how you construct your argument. Depending on what you say and how you say it, every answer can be a really good answer as long as it makes sense. There are many firms in the industry so mentioning different varieties will not affect you negatively in my opinion!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and mattyh23

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I would describe a typical memorandum as a brief *internal* communication from one person/party to another. It should be a concise summary of key points that can easily be understood.
As a very general suggestion…you can often structure something like this with an executive summary, a few clear paragraphs discussing each point in more detail, and a conclusion. There should be plenty of examples of this (including headings, formalities etc.) available online.

(I assume in the context of a written exercise that this is the sort of memo which you are referring to. It has a second meaning in contract law but I doubt that would come up in a written exercise.)
This is a very good answer and I was about to say the same exact thing! @Givemeatcplease

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Reactions: sm99

Givemeatcplease

Feb 23, 2024
I would describe a typical memorandum as a brief *internal* communication from one person/party to another. It should be a concise summary of key points that can easily be understood.
As a very general suggestion…you can often structure something like this with an executive summary, a few clear paragraphs discussing each point in more detail, and a conclusion. There should be plenty of examples of this (including headings, formalities etc.) available online.

(I assume in the context of a written exercise that this is the sort of memo which you are referring to. It has a second meaning in contract law but I doubt that would come up in a written exercise.)
Thank you so much, thats very helpful!

With the executive summary, is that generally done in bullet point format?

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
This is quite a pedantic question, but in written exercises, is it preferable to use “I” or “we” when giving advice to a client?

In my paralegal job, I’m always told to use “we” to represent the firm (e.g. “we would advise”) but I don’t know if this was more firm specific and it would be odd if I was referring to myself in the plural.

It’s probably not something that makes a difference but any thoughts @Jessica Booker?

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    This is quite a pedantic question, but in written exercises, is it preferable to use “I” or “we” when giving advice to a client?

In my paralegal job, I’m always told to use “we” to represent the firm (e.g. “we would advise”) but I don’t know if this was more firm specific and it would be odd if I was referring to myself in the plural.

It’s probably not something that makes a difference but any thoughts @Jessica Booker?
    This tends to depend on whether the letter is signed from an individual or on behalf of the firm

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Just a question about references.

I have handed in a CV with volunteer and work experience.

I'm interested in what companies including law firms look for when checking up on your employment and volunteering history?

Do they check on the role and things you did as well? Or do they mostly just ask whether you were there and at that time stated exactly? I say this because for some roles which had unofficial titles I made them up. I only did this because the responsibilities I had were very clear but the role titles weren't.

Also I mentioned programmes I did online - like the AS access programme and the Legal Cheek Vac Scheme. I clarified with recruitment that it is not official work experience where I had responsibilities or carried out certain duties that entail a work experience. I'm just interested if firms check up on this as well or are experiences like this of no interest to recruitment to follow up on?

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    It’s unlikely as a junior you would be advising a client directly. I imagine that different firms would have different policies over what is signed off in what way.
    Sounds like it’s perhaps better to go for the plural then to reflect it’s on behalf of the firm (if writing as a trainee as you said). I suppose it’s not something that will make a considerable impact anyway!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.