TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Hi guys, would value anybody's input/advice on this as it is a concern of mine..

If I trained at a low-tier international law firm in the City, how possible is it to lateral to a bigger firm upon qualification?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it a common thing to only complete 1 week out of 2 for a vacation scheme? Or it unheard of?
Unlikely but not impossible. Less likely if it is the first week of the scheme you are missing too (as that is when they do all the onboarding processes). You should speak to the firm(s) to see if it possible.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, would value anybody's input/advice on this as it is a concern of mine..

If I trained at a low-tier international law firm in the City, how possible is it to lateral to a bigger firm upon qualification?
Upon arrival qualification less likely - more possible with 1-3 years PQE and if the work you have done as a qualified lawyer is of a particular complexity/prestige (eg with high ranking department/similar clients).

It may also be that it takes a couple of moves, depending on the type of firms you mean.

• ℹ️
Reactions: jplaw1010 and Sharon Wu

EM23

Esteemed Member
Dec 10, 2022
Alhamdulilah got three vac schemes this year from one last year but really feeling imposter syndrome due to the negative experience I had last year. Feel like I’m going to get exposed or not really sure my work whatever I do will be as good as other people. Any advice would be good thanks. Vac schemes this year are for AG, Dentons and Pinsents

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker, you may have answered this before so apologies if so, but does taking a date for a vacation scheme at a later time effect the chances of getting a TC, for example, say if I could undertake the scheme in April/May but chose to do it in June... Let me know if this does not make sense

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, you may have answered this before so apologies if so, but does taking a date for a vacation scheme at a later time effect the chances of getting a TC, for example, say if I could undertake the scheme in April/May but chose to do it in June... Let me know if this does not make sense
    No - it won’t make any difference in my opinion unless the firm has a very limited number of TCs (could be counted on one hand).

Reactions: NJS

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
    Mar 25, 2024
    Alhamdulilah got three vac schemes this year from one last year but really feeling imposter syndrome due to the negative experience I had last year. Feel like I’m going to get exposed or not really sure my work whatever I do will be as good as other people. Any advice would be good thanks. Vac schemes this year are for AG, Dentons and Pinsents
    What happened last year?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.