TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

F AJMI

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2022
Hi Guys, not sure if this has been asked before but when law firms ask for details regarding previous legal work experience (usually 200-300) words, how much weight is placed on the writng quality of the description.

I am not sure whether I should be detailed and explain the skills I have learnt, or stick to providing a general description of the work I did.

@Jessica Booker

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Did the email specifically say you have passed? I received an email an hour after doing the test saying my application is being reviewed. Does this mean I passed ?
    Hey, they sent me an initial email saying my application was under review, and then a few hours later another email saying I passed the benchmark and my application is now under review. I didn't really understand the difference but hope that helps :)

hannahfl

Esteemed Member
    May 30, 2021
    Did the email specifically say you have passed? I received an email an hour after doing the test saying my application is being reviewed. Does this mean I passed ?
    It said this:

Thank you for submitting your application to Herbert Smith Freehills and completing our online test.

I can confirm that you have reached the benchmark on our online test and your application is now under review. We will be in touch regarding the outcome of your application after the deadline.

Reactions: M0M007

M0M007

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2023
    Hey, they sent me an initial email saying my application was under review, and then a few hours later another email saying I passed the benchmark and my application is now under review. I didn't really understand the difference but hope that helps :)
    Ah I see thank u ! that helps! i guess i gotta wait for the email saying whether I pass the benchmark or not. Thanks!

Reactions: LegallyBrown

Lopez2017

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 11, 2023
    I'm not sure, but their website say that you are invited to apply for a TC.
    It isn't clear to me how strong the relationship is between getting on their WW and a TC.
    Perhaps ask graduate recruitment about which is the best route for you - whether that be WW, vac scheme or direct TC.

Lopez2017

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 11, 2023
    Is there an interview at the end of the Slaughter & May winter workshop for a TC?
    I'm not sure, but their website say that you are invited to apply for a TC.
    It isn't clear to me how strong the relationship is between getting on their WW and a TC.
    Perhaps ask graduate recruitment about which is the best route for you - whether that be WW, vac scheme or direct TC.

Reactions: kmo20

yasmars

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Does anyone know the Reed Smith application questions?
    1. Why have you decided to pursue a career in commercial law (250 max)
    2. Why have you applied to Reed Smith in particular (250 max)
    3. Focusing on one of Reed Smith’s sectors, what current issues do you think will impact this sector? What opportunities or challenges will this present to Reed Smith or our clients? (300 max)

user9809

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    1. Why have you decided to pursue a career in commercial law (250 max)
    2. Why have you applied to Reed Smith in particular (250 max)
    3. Focusing on one of Reed Smith’s sectors, what current issues do you think will impact this sector? What opportunities or challenges will this present to Reed Smith or our clients? (300 max)
    Thank you!!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Chen0106

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 22, 2023
    Hey, huge congrats to everyone got the AC invite from Ashurst! May I please ask when did you submit your application or complete the online assessment? I haven't hear a thing since the OT. Should I assume a PFO in this occasion? 😢

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Guys, not sure if this has been asked before but when law firms ask for details regarding previous legal work experience (usually 200-300) words, how much weight is placed on the writng quality of the description.

I am not sure whether I should be detailed and explain the skills I have learnt, or stick to providing a general description of the work I did.

@Jessica Booker
    The quality of writing will always be assessed throughout your application. Focous on your responsibilities, impact and learning from the work experience rather than claiming skills. If you do the above the skills will more likely than not be evident.

Reactions: NJS

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.