TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

malvern3142

Star Member
Jun 30, 2022
Any news from ashurst re AC invites?
I think someone in here received one last week. I tried reaching out asking them for a rough time frame and if the AC was virtual or in-person. As some of us have to book time off work with notice, flights, accommodation etc.

They replied back to me, but all they said was that all applicants will hear back no later than 10th November. Unfortunately they didn't clarify if the AC is virtual or not, or their AC dates.

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
I think someone in here received one last week. I tried reaching out asking them for a rough time frame and if the AC was virtual or in-person. As some of us have to book time off work with notice, flights, accommodation etc.

They replied back to me, but all they said was that all applicants will hear back no later than 10th November. Unfortunately they didn't clarify if the AC is virtual or not, or their AC dates.
They’re hosting their written case studies currently, and their last one is tomorrow (what was said by HR on Friday). I think they’ll offer more AC’s out if enough people don’t pass the WE, and we were told we will hear if we progress to final interview by the 26th.

Reactions: juiceboy and mkt

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
Oct 2, 2023
Just received an email from Sidley, saying that applications closed yesterday, and they will get back to us in the next 3-4 weeks. I thought they are rolling basis LOL
I might be wrong but I imagine they'll reach out to first-picks/early applicants sooner. I think some who applied really early on have heard back already.

I imagine 3-4 weeks is to allow for the whole range of candidates, from those they're most interested in/applied earlier, to all potential rejectees.

mkt

Esteemed Member
Aug 6, 2023
They’re hosting their written case studies currently, and their last one is tomorrow (what was said by HR on Friday). I think they’ll offer more AC’s out if enough people don’t pass the WE, and we were told we will hear if we progress to final interview by the 26th.
Mine is next week and they did say I had the last slot.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Mishcon VI!! If anyone has any tips, please PM me! This is my first VI so no idea what to expect.
hey @sgc, congratulations on securing a video interview, this is so impressive and you deserve it! I would say that in terms of tips, I already gave an extensive list of tips for video interviews, but overall:
  1. Dress smart: dress like you were going to an interview as it will make you feel more prepared.
  2. Have a sheet of paper with bullet points covering why you are interested in the law, why Mishcon and the skills you will need to succeed as a trainee at the firm (with some examples from your experiences). I remember that when I was doing video interview preparations, many people advised me to connect my answers to me and my background/relevant experiences and that worked really well for me.
  3. Be energetic and personable: I think that this is one of the key pieces of advise I could give to anyone! Many people fail to remember to be themselves and bring their full personality to the interview! They want to see you for you and not a fictitious persona! Bringing an enthusiastic energy to the video interview will make you memorable to graduate recruitment and will also make you stand out as a candidate.
  4. Be professional: Although you need to show your personality, always remember to do this in a professional way, this will show how serious you are taking this part of the application cycle.
I hope these pieces of advice will help you with the video interview and congratulations again, this is a massive achievement. You should be so proud of yourself!!!

Reactions: sgc and Jaysen

DKLaw

Star Member
Feb 8, 2023
Hi guys, does anyone here knows what AAA for Higher National Diploma (HND) is equivalent to for A Levels? This is a Scottish qualification and when I am applying to English law firms, they mostly don't know the equivalent. The qualification isn't listed on the UCAS tariff calculator either.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
For law firms with a rolling deadline, what is the latest it's appropriate to submit an application before the deadline as a general rule? I'm trying to submit as soon as possible but hard to balance work & all applications deadlines!
I think that you are good to go until two/three weeks before the deadline! Applying early does not mean applying on the first day they open cause the reality is if they do not find people they like they will wait until they are able to find the right people, so as a general rule, I would say the third or second weeks before the deadline is your target more or less! Good luck with the application!
I totally understand the difficulty of jiggling everything all at once so congratulations for doing it all and good luck with the application cycle! It was a stressful period for me too last year, applying to a lot of firms all in one month cause I was also late to the application game and it worked out perfectly for me so I am sure it will for you too, good lcuk!! @Petallove1

• 🤝
Reactions: Petallove1 and juiceboy

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker Can I ask for Covington, if the question asks 'discuss a topic you are passionate about', does it have to relate to the firm's strengths, focused industries, or law generally?
Hey @machingkiubrian1234, it absolutely does not have to be associated to law at all. Questions like these give you the chance to show your personality so talk about whatever floats your boat! I remember going to an HSF event last year and they told us that someone who received the TC wrote about Taylor Swift in a similar question!

However, if you feel like you do not want to risk it (this was certainly my approach when applying and answering questions like these), then I would suggest to:
  • Discuss Relevance: In your application or interview, explain why your passion is relevant in today's legal landscape and how it connects to the firm's practice areas. Discuss current legal issues or trends in your area of interest.
  • Share Examples: Provide concrete examples of how your passion has influenced your work or studies. Use real-life cases or projects to illustrate your dedication and ability to make a difference.
  • Be Prepared to Answer Questions: Expect questions from the interviewer about your passion. Be ready to discuss challenges, accomplishments, and how your interest has evolved over time. In fact this might be asked during the interview so overall be prepared on the topic you choose to talk about and be prepared to find any relevant link to the law, if asked.
  • Emphasise Transferable Skills/Values/Lessons: Highlight any transferable skills that your passion has helped you develop. For example, if your passion is environmental law, you might have strong research, analysis, and advocacy skills that can be applied to other practice areas as well.
  • Be Authentic: While it's important to align your passion with the firm's strengths, don't exaggerate or fabricate your interest. Be genuine and honest about what you're passionate about and why!
I wish you good luck with your application cycle and hopefully these tips will help you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.