TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Hi guys, does anyone here knows what AAA for Higher National Diploma (HND) is equivalent to for A Levels? This is a Scottish qualification and when I am applying to English law firms, they mostly don't know the equivalent. The qualification isn't listed on the UCAS tariff calculator either.
Sorry correct me if I'm wrong but HND doesn't bare equal footing to A Levels? HND is equivalent to 2 years of a Bachelors degree at University. So I would assume you've attained a First class degree in your first 2 years?

I'm not entirely sure how it works but I would reach out to your University's Careers Team if in doubt as they would be the best to answer this question.

Also have a look here: https://eal.org.uk/support/document-library/7-uk-qualifications-comparison-table/file

DKLaw

Star Member
Feb 8, 2023
Sorry correct me if I'm wrong but HND doesn't bare equal footing to A Levels? HND is equivalent to 2 years of a Bachelors degree at University. So I would assume you've attained a First class degree in your first 2 years?

I'm not entirely sure how it works but I would reach out to your University's Careers Team if in doubt as they would be the best to answer this question.

Also have a look here: https://eal.org.uk/support/document-library/7-uk-qualifications-comparison-table/file
You're right but I am confused on how to fill this out for the firm, because I did an NC at age 16-17 and then HND at age 17-19, and then started the law degree. And you're right, the college I did the HND from or my uni should be able to help.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
You're right but I am confused on how to fill this out for the firm, because I did an NC at age 16-17 and then HND at age 17-19, and then started the law degree. And you're right, the college I did the HND from or my uni should be able to help.
It might also be worth (a longshot here) scoping LinkedIn and reaching out to a Future Trainee or Trainee at a UK Law Firm that has a similar educational background as yourself? They may know the answer to this.

DKLaw

Star Member
Feb 8, 2023
It might also be worth (a longshot here) scoping LinkedIn and reaching out to a Future Trainee or Trainee at a UK Law Firm that has a similar educational background as yourself? They may know the answer to this.
I've tried that but so far haven't been able to find someone with a similar background, I'll keep looking though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I noticed that Sidley only retained 8 out of 14 trainees in 2023. Does anyone know why? 60% seems pretty low...
Could be a host of reasons, but not overly surprising given how the NQ market has been and especially in some transactional teams.

Plus it’s a relatively small intake - all it takes is for someone to be headhunted, another who decides career isn’t for them, and other to be want to work in a more niche area, and the percentage tends to drop quite quickly.

Reactions: juiceboy and AlexJ

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Is it considered unprofessional to open a cover letter with something like 'I hope you are well' / 'I hope this finds you well'? I do it all the time in work emails but not sure if the same would apply for a job application? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

@Jessica Booker ?
Hey @prospectiveswitcher, I personally never started a cover like that and I have never seen an application starting like this. I do agree that it is something that we tend to use in emails though. I am not too sure but I would not see how that might go against you but just to give you a perspective, I always start with Dear X, I am Axel and ... I continue introducing myself. If you are uncertain, I would stick to a more classical way just to be safe. Hope that helps!

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Just wrapped up another application after weeks of dedication - fingers crossed for Travers Smith! 🤞

Might be a bit random to share, but here’s my journey so far:

Aim: Submit 5 applications, 3 assessment centres, 1 or 2 winter vacation schemes. Progress update:

HSF - At the Assessment Centre stage. Linklaters - Awaiting response.
    Travers Smith - Just sent in my application.
    A&O - Unfortunately, it was a no.
    Hogan Lovells - Gearing up to submit.

Keeping my hopes high! Will keep you updated! 😊

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Can anyone could help me with approaching the work experience section, as I always have trouble knowing how much info to include? Do you usually treat it as like a CV with bullet point like info (e.g. Assisted on X task. Collaborated with Y to achieve Z)? Or do you fill out the section with things like what you learned/what you enjoyed/skills you picked up? If anyone could provide an example, fake or real, that would be super helpful!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it considered unprofessional to open a cover letter with something like 'I hope you are well' / 'I hope this finds you well'? I do it all the time in work emails but not sure if the same would apply for a job application? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

@Jessica Booker ?
    It’s not unprofessional to do this - it’s just unnecessary and a waste of word count. I personally wouldn’t do this.

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any success re-applying to a law firm they were previously rejected from at the application stage.

It happened to me with Macfarlanes but just wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same with any other firms.

Just want to try and save time re-applying if a firm is unlikely to change the outcome (i.e. they made their mind up about me and it flags in their system).
    Yep, I applied to DLA twice before being invited to an assessment centre this year, and was successful in obtaining a place on the Summer Internship.

Also applied to Links twice before and got a place on their spring vs.

YnoFeedback?

Sep 8, 2023
    The following is one of the application questions for Skadden's VS: Why are you applying for a training contract at Skadden and why do you believe you are suited to the firm? (300 words). I know that previously it was a short cover letter, but is it the same now? Seems as if the wording does not suggest so.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.