TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023
    Does anyone know when you apply to Vac Schemes if you are on a 4-year course (with international study abroad)?
    Is it usually in your second year or when you are abroad in your third year?

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    Does anyone know when you apply to Vac Schemes if you are on a 4-year course (with international study abroad)?
    Depends on the firm, I know Slaughter and May, Baker McKenzie and White & Case let you apply in second year, there might be others, sometimes says in their FAQs, and if not I emailed them. Most of the US firms said third year.

Freshfields said 3rd year only (penultimate year) when I was in 2nd year but looks like they’re now accepting 2nd years for the vac scheme (FAQs).

(This was for Law with year abroad, not sure about non law)

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023
    Depends on the firm, I know Slaughter and May, Baker McKenzie and White & Case let you apply in second year, there might be others, sometimes says in their FAQs, and if not I emailed them. Most of the US firms said third year.

Freshfields said 3rd year only (penultimate year) when I was in 2nd year but looks like they’re now accepting 2nd years for the vac scheme (FAQs).

(This was for Law with year abroad, not sure about non law)
    Thank you so much.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does the ‘paralegal friend-zone’ effect also apply to other roles such as compliance, legal tech, consulting?
    It doesn’t really apply to law, let alone other industries. The perception that law firms (and other employers) have a preference for straight out of uni types is namely where they dominate applications received.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It will depend on the firm - so it’s something to ask them.

Some firms will take you on as a second year but may choose to defer any TC conversion process until you are in your penultimate year.

Some firms will bring you through the recruitment process but defer your entry to your third year

Some firms will just let you complete all the processes as a second year.

Some firms will tell you to wait to apply until you are in your third year.

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    When writing your descriptions for work experience on a CV, should you simply state what you did/responsibility you held or should you also discuss the skills you gained and how it will benefit you as a trainee?

Also bullet points or no bullet points?

Thanks

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When writing your descriptions for work experience on a CV, should you simply state what you did/responsibility you held or should you also discuss the skills you gained and how it will benefit you as a trainee?

Also bullet points or no bullet points?

Thanks
    For a CV, just the description of your responsibilities and impact in bullet point format.

Reactions: jplaw1010

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023
    It will depend on the firm - so it’s something to ask them.

Some firms will take you on as a second year but may choose to defer any TC conversion process until you are in your penultimate year.

Some firms will bring you through the recruitment process but defer your entry to your third year

Some firms will just let you complete all the processes as a second year.

Some firms will tell you to wait to apply until you are in your third year.
    Thank you so much!

Phoebe Turner

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 16, 2020
    Well done! Congratulations on this huge achievement!

I have applied for their Open day, but I was wondering - do you get fast tracked to an assessment centre for a vacation scheme, or a TC?
    thank you, it's AC for spring or summer vac scheme then you have an interview from the scheme to be considered for the TC

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I've just received a rejection email from HSF after attending their AC. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement, especially since I felt the process went rather positively. According to their feedback, I performed well in the scenario-based interview and I really showcased my skills in the competency-based interview. I'm genuinely so confused right now. The case study might not have been my strongest point, but I genuinely believed I'd done enough to prove my worth.

I've dedicated six years to legal education, pouring my heart, soul, time, and energy into the field. I've seized every opportunity that came my way, and I've always tried to give my best in every situation. It feels disheartening to continually face rejections, especially after investing so much into a firm I truly admired.

I'm at a point where I'm questioning my own abilities, my efforts, and even my place in this field. Is there anyone here who has experienced something similar? How did you cope? How did you find the strength to move forward and keep pushing? I'm genuinely curious to understand what makes one successful in these assessment centres and where I might be going wrong. When I talked with trainees at law firms, many mention, "This was my first assessment centre," or "I didn't even look into other firms because I received an offer here after an interview." Surprisingly, I haven't heard anyone discuss the challenges of getting in. Is there something I'm missing? Despite having a First-Class law degree and a Distinction in my LPC, I can't help but feel a bit out of place. The HSF Assessment Centre was notably challenging from a legal perspective. I've learned that there were participants during the AC, or even a current trainee I spoke to, who had backgrounds in areas like biochemistry. I genuinely wonder how individuals from such diverse educational backgrounds can excel in a legal case study, especially in contract law, while I, with six years of legal education, found it challenging. I'm genuinely seeking insight into this disparity in performance, and I'm open to any explanations or feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me to clarify this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advice, shared experiences, or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
    Hey @bella98, thank you so much for sharing your experience, I am sure many others are experiencing the same thing and it is nice to comforting to see that we are not the only ones going through a particular situation.
    Firstly, I wanted to say congratulations for getting an AC from HSF. This is such an amazing achievement and not many people can say to have received it, so you should be so proud of yourself. I know it is easier said than done but being able to recognise how far we have come in the process is the first step to recognise our strengths as well as possibilities of success in the legal industry. Even me, I have a TC now but I have applied to 20+ firms before being successful obtaining vacation scheme offers last year. So never abandon your dream.

I totally sympathise with the fact that you might be feeling defeated after multiple attempts but I am assuring you that you will be successful, the game only requires you to be tenacious, patience, and always persevere. Unfortunately dreams do not come easy and only through hard work, a lot of luck, and a lot of perseverance you will be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I really hope that these words give you some motivation and strength to keep going and keep believing in your dreams.

I genuinely do not know how to answer your concerns regarding the disparities in educational background and successes during AC, but what I can say is that as much as comparison allows you to be inspired by others, I would not look at other people's successes and comparing them to your struggles. People work hard irrespective of their education backgrounds and as a non-law student myself I can only say that a lot of work went into just understanding legal terminology that I was not used to, but majority of people succeeding in this business are still law students so do not worry too much about this and just believe in yourself, your abilities and your amazing educational credentials! I am confident that sooner rather than later you will be successful!

In terms of succeeding at an AC, I understand that ACs can be quite daunting and challenging, and sometimes the outcome does not even really depend on you and your performance, sometimes you do not get the offer because you just do not fit with the firm's culture, and that is okay! What I would suggest is to try and work on your personal skills as well as your knowledge about the legal sector as well as the business sectors and keep practicing with your friends and family.

Some practical tips:
    1. Research the firm:
      • Thoroughly research the law firm, its practice areas, culture, and recent cases. This will show your genuine interest in the firm and its work. Use websites like Chambers Student, the firm's website, legal500, the Lawyer, Financial Times and try to understand the implications of commercial news on the legal sector.
    2. Understand the assessment format:
      • Learn about the specific assessments you'll face, whether it's written exercises, group discussions, interviews, or case studies. Understanding the format can help you prepare effectively. In order to do this, talk to people at the firm and understand their experiences during the AC and what you can learn from them.
    3. Communication skills:
      • Strong communication skills are essential. Practice your speaking and writing skills, as well as your ability to express complex legal concepts clearly and concisely. You can practice this with friends and family as I said before, this is what I used to do last year and it helped me massively!
    4. Teamwork:
      • Be a team player during group exercises. Listen actively, contribute thoughtfully, and respect the opinions of others. Demonstrating collaboration skills is crucial in a law firm setting. It is not only about what you say but also how you contribute to the overall team and if you manage to make everyone feel comfortable, so focus on this aspect as well, which can be sometimes forgotten!
    5. Time management:
      • Assessments often have tight deadlines. Practice time management to ensure you complete tasks within the allocated time while maintaining high quality.
    6. Attention to detail:
      • Legal work requires precision. Pay attention to details in all written exercises, contracts, and case study analyses to avoid errors.
    I really hope you do not give up and you keep believing in your dream because I am sure you are meant to do everything you want! Congratulations again on obtaining the AC and on your amazing education credentials and make the most of all your strengths! Good luck with the cycle!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Got commercial awareness comp q final tomorrow any advice
    Goof luck with it and my piece of advice would:
    • Be very knowledgable about the topic you are discussing staying away from aspects/things you do not fully understand
    • Be clear and concise in your approach when explaining things
    • Be confident in what you are saying and reporting
    • State the sources of where you got specific numerical information
    • Have fun!
    I am sure you are going to smash it! @mkt

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    To be honest, I started applying for smaller/mid-size firms rather than 'BigLaw'. I did apply to the odd larger one, or a small intake US, but they weren't necessarily the typical ones we see on this forum. 9 time out of 10 my applications went past the written stage in my last 2 cycles

I also began working as a Paralegal after my LPC so I could better tailor my 'why law' questions with tangible experience from my role. I checked Legal 500, Chambers (any other directory etc.) to find firms that had good reputation in practice areas and I could see transactions they worked on. I could sell why x firm by having genuine research and linking it to my own experience of similar deals in a private m&a, real estate sphere.

Occasionally I would message a trainee at a firm. If you do this, ask ACTUAL QUESTIONS you want to know the answers to, and I never wanted to come across overly formal or sycophantic. For example, 'I'm interested in private m&a and small market deals. What can you tell me about that department/trainee role? What's the office setting like etc./?

I got my offer when I was 23 and I qualified 2 years later. On qualifying, I've never looked back. I could maker a collage with the hundreds of VC, TC, Paralegal applications I made but I don't need to anymore. I've got my career to look forward to.

It can be done and I can't stress how naff the process is. Re-evaluate what's worked (which is clearly a lot if you're getting to this stage), ask what practice areas, you like and start afresh. Don't give up!
    @FM302989 Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I am sure it will be useful and relatable from many! I too got my offer at 23 and sometimes it feels like it is a bit late but everyone has different paths in this profession and we should not compare ourselves to others! At the end of the day everyone will succeed and achieve their dreams! Thanks for spreading positivity!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.