TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
Just did DLA's WG - feeling disheartened as I found it really difficult and am certain I have answered some Qs wrong despite practising WGs this whole week in preparation for it. Does anybody have any advice on how to keep going - this is my third cycle and I am feeling unhopeful!
Easier said than done, but try not to worry, and be proud of yourself for making it to this stage! If it’s any consolation, I found the WG quite hard, as I do with every WG I take (I’m a future trainee at DLA, feel free to msg me with any questions).

My advice would be to keeping on, and try not to think about it. There is nothing more that you can do and the ball’s in DLA’s court. Focus your attention on other applications or even take the weekend to relax! Best of luck with the rest of your applications!

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
Hi, I did this last month! You have to answer three questions, and you have 15 seconds between reading the answer to having to record your answer which is up to a maximum of 45 seconds. You can't re-record your answers.
Thank you so much!! Oo okay 45 seconds that is really useful to know as that's quite short compared to others I've done- thank you again!! And fingers crossed for the outcome for you!

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
Lol and here's me applying from nearly 400 miles away, on the last day of application, doing the tests at 23:49 🤦‍♂️
Loooool yeah firms have found their new way of whittling down the number of candidates they need to consider. Make us complete the tests before the application deadline - but don't tell us that before hand! Scum move imo.

Linklaters did the same with their open day.

But if you look on LinkedIn at their trainees, I found only one who was not either from the south west or didn't attend Bristol uni. I don't know why they are so fussed, it is only how I would move to London for a job - yet London offices will take in people from anywhere across the UK.

Last edited:

academicweapon121

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 20, 2023
    Loooool yeah firms have found their new way of whittling down the number of candidates they need to consider. Make us complete the tests before the application deadline - but don't tell us that before hand! Scum move imo.

Linklaters did the same with their open day.

But if you look on LinkedIn at their trainees, I found only one who was not either from the south west or didn't attend Bristol uni. I don't know why they are so fussed, it is only how I would move to London for a job - yet London offices will take in people from anywhere across the UK.
    Might just be that the majority of their applicants are from the region…?

Chen0106

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 22, 2023
    Hi everyone. Could anyone did the Dechert VI kindly explain whether the VI questions give unlimited time for preparation? Also, is the time for recording of each interview question limited to 2 mins? How many questions are there in total? Will competency questions included?
    Much appreciated!

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Hi everyone. Could anyone did the Dechert VI kindly explain whether the VI questions give unlimited time for preparation? Also, is the time for recording of each interview question limited to 2 mins? How many questions are there in total? Will competency questions included?
    Much appreciated!
    hey, no the time for preparation was capped (I think 45 seconds) and I can’t remember how long it was for answering sorry but 2 mins sounds about right.

Also, shortlist has a good practice assessment on their website - it really helped calm my nerves beforehand.

Chen0106

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 22, 2023
    hey, no the time for preparation was capped (I think 45 seconds) and I can’t remember how long it was for answering sorry but 2 mins sounds about right.

Also, shortlist has a good practice assessment on their website - it really helped calm my nerves beforehand.
    Thank you so much! The practice assessment tip is invaluable!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.