Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Then the operative question becomes: How does a candidate, who genuinely wants to train and work in Bristol long-term, prove this to a firm like Burges Salmon when on-paper they have little to no connection to the area?

HR from a different Bristol-based firm were actually rather apologetic to me on this point during VS feedback - saying essentially that I lacked ties to the south-west but in all honesty that isn't really something I could go about changing easily, and therefore they themselves felt harsh in grading candidates on it.
It’s really about emphasising why you want to work (and live) in the area, focusing on what that region can give you that others can’t, and showing you are not someone who has strong ties to other areas.

It is still tricky though to convince people.

There is always just a risk HR have to take when someone hasn’t lived in the region before and has no support network within it. It’s not just about the work, it’s also about whether the individual is going to be happy and settled in the region outside of work too.

Reactions: LawBrah and DKLaw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Was just about to ask this, I am applying to English firms while doing an English law degree in Scotland. From my perspective, if I am applying to regional firms rather than City, then that is in of itself an indication that I'll stick, but I completely understand that the firm has no reason to be certain that I won't move further South for a better opportunity. So, how does one convince them without having any strong ties to the region? I lived in Manchester before moving to Scotland almost a decade ago, would that be a reason to discuss?
If you have lived in the region before, you have got ties to the area and I would at least mention your desire to return to the area.

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
Maybe re-send the email this time with the correct spelling in the subject line and text? You can always play off the first email as a mistakenly sent first draft and the second as the 'official' email, I think this might be better than not doing anything at all.
I thought that too but I received a non-automatic email response… I don’t know if I’d just make it worse

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I thought that too but I received a non-automatic email response… I don’t know if I’d just make it worse
Honestly I would just leave it. The firm is going to take your first application and remove any duplicates from the process.

I would just take this as a learning to double check firm name spellings. Despite seeing them all the time, I still double check some firm’s names spelling, especially when they have a spelling that could easily be mixed up.

Reactions: flower

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Hey @Aga123+'

I totally agree with you, the word count is a bit daunting but it is basically asking you to be succinct and go straight to the point, which I guess is one of the main skills as a lawyer.

What I did was:
    • Pick two reasons why I was interested in Goodwin, whether it is its focus on technology, or life sciences, but also their initiatives regarding D,E & I. When you chose your two reasons, spend 50 words for each, describing them and link them (very briefly) to your background and experiences to substantiate why these factors of interest to you specifically. I talked about the focus on technology, which I am very interested in, and linked it back to an internship I did at a fintech company. Secondly, I talked about their diversity initiatives and goals which I really resonated with and linked them to my background.
    • For the Why commercial law, I succinctly explained why I am interested in it with a personal anecdote and subsequently I linked it with an experience I had at a law firm and during an internship. The word count pushes you to go straight to the point, so make sure to immediately touch upon the crucial reasons as to why you decided to become a commercial lawyer and try to draw from your personal/professional experiences and I am sure you will do great!
    • For the commercial news questions, just pick something that interests you and that you are genuinely able to tackle about as these could come up during the interview. I would make sure to link the topics to Goodwin in some way, shape or form if you can but this is not essential. I chose to talk about technology in one and sustainability in the other and I was able to connect both to Goodwin and I think that that worked really well.
    I hope these tips are useful and good luck with the application! Goodwin is great and I am not saying it only because I have a TC there! ;)
    Thanks so much😍 @axelbeugre - These are great tips!

wz_13

Distinguished Member
    Jan 3, 2023
    When should those in their final year without a TC start applying for paralegal jobs?
    tbh most if not all employers ask for you to have at least graduated, and then other qualifications like LPC/SQE. Id say dont worry about applying until earliest just before you graduate as you would have a predicted grade, or start when you have graduated, so then employers are more likely to give you interviews as u will have the qualification

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    Hi

the absolute genius that I am, I managed to apply to Davis Polk open day and spelled their name wrong EVERY TIME. I thought it was Davies, not Davis. What are the chances for an immediate rejection? 99%? I’m so stupid.
    I got a vacation scheme interview at a magic circle firm and spelled their name wrong in the first sentence of my cover letter. Not sure how it happened.

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Hey @chris2812morris,

So I used to have a template with the piece of news or information about the firm that I found interesting, let's say Latham's Africa practice and a new oil and gas deal made in South Africa for instance. Then I wrote, next to this information, my personal connection to this information that made me interested in the firm and that practice in the first place, in my case, the fact that I am originally from West Africa and I would love to work on deals linked to the African continent.

Does that make sense? It might not for some people but it was a good way for me to find a genuine link between the firm's specialities and my background, whether professional or personal.

I hope that helps and good luck!
    Okay, that makes a lot of sense thank you. I think I did this with a case I discussed in my Mishcon application - Highlighting the firm's immigration division and its success in the ARAP case of 2022. And Linking that to my work as an Immigration Historian/Volunteer helping immigrants in my town adjust to life in the UK. Would examples like these be key for our applications?

Reactions: axelbeugre

catlover123

Star Member
    Oct 11, 2023
    Hi all - could someone help me clarify what my Watson Glaser deadline means? It says "Please complete the test within five days of receiving this email." The email was sent on Wednesday 1st Nov at 10am. Does "within 5 days" mean latest 10am tomorrow, Sunday (counting Wednesday as day 1) or 10am Monday (counting Thursday as day 1)? Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
    Jul 10, 2023
    Any advise on how to proceed with Linklaters ? I applied for their Open Day (and took CAPP + WG) avoiding VS (Spring/Summer)application under the assumption that you are fasttracked to AC if successful in OD. Haven't heard back from them on the outcome of OD application. Should I just go ahead and apply for VS or wait for the OD outcome ?

Reactions: Aaj03

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023
    Any advise on how to proceed with Linklaters ? I applied for their Open Day (and took CAPP + WG) avoiding VS (Spring/Summer)application under the assumption that you are fasttracked to AC if successful in OD. Haven't heard back from them on the outcome of OD application. Should I just go ahead and apply for VS or wait for the OD outcome ?
    Spoke to Grad rec at an event last week and she said open day invites will be sent out from this week

Legalregal

Valued Member
    Jan 13, 2021
    What are peoples views on the Arctic Shores' test?

After failing it last cycle after having spent loads of time on my application and attending an open day at the firm I said I'd never again apply to a firm that uses AS. It felt like I failed at something that wasn't in my control because, as they say, you cannot practice for it. I also struggled to take the test seriously.

Made me appreciate the good old WG test.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.