TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
Nov 8, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

I had a quick question I was hoping either of you, or anyone else in the forum could help with.

It it a bad sign that neither of my interviewers asked me about why commercial law or why this firm in the interviews?

It’s happened to me twice now, and I don’t know if I’m overthinking it - but if they’re conducting a wash-up and are assessing for motivation - how am I supposed to score high if these questions weren’t asked.

I would say, neither of these interviews seemed pre-planned. Each question was specifically tailored to my application - so perhaps there isn’t a hardcore mark scheme for the wash-up?

(Sorry I think my one year stint in graduate recruitment has traumatised me)

FYI - I did a law degree, all of my experiences have been in a law firm and I’m currently doing the LPC whilst working as a paralegal in a city law firm.
Think its normal as lawyers will know you have prepared answers so want to challenge you (Just my view from experience)

Reactions: LegallyBrown

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019

I had a quick question I was hoping either of you, or anyone else in the forum could help with.

It it a bad sign that neither of my interviewers asked me about why commercial law or why this firm in the interviews?

It’s happened to me twice now, and I don’t know if I’m overthinking it - but if they’re conducting a wash-up and are assessing for motivation - how am I supposed to score high if these questions weren’t asked.

I would say, neither of these interviews seemed pre-planned. Each question was specifically tailored to my application - so perhaps there isn’t a hardcore mark scheme for the wash-up?

FYI - I did a law degree, all of my experiences have been in a law firm and I’m currently doing the LPC whilst working as a paralegal in a city law firm.
I wouldn't stress about it. I did the same TS interview as you (albeit in 2020) and they didn't spend much time on that. Some interviews follow a set format where that is a question. Others don't. You gave it your all, I'm sure. Focus on the future.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Not a bad sign - there could be a multitude of reasons for this. Maybe the firm doesn’t care to ask at this stage. Maybe they think there is enough logic/evidence from other parts of the recruitment process, eapexially given what you have said about what else you have done. Maybe they want to test out th things they can’t see from your application rather than what they can.

This doesn’t mean there isn’t a scoring system though. I very much expect there are set frameworks they are assessing against for consistency (even if the questions seem random or tailored).

Reactions: Manuchelsout

Claristered

Mar 17, 2022
Hi guys! I am finishing my application to Eversheds Insight Evening and the website says the deadline is tomorrow. Does that mean that I have to submit it today or do I still have tomorrow to make final adjustments? They were not clear if they meant it closes at midnight tomorrow or monday. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
Where you are saying solely, I would suggest more balance and using the occasional experience from outside of your paralegal role. Your examples don’t have to come from work experience either though - they can come from extra curriculars, academics - really any experiences.

I think it’s important to show variety in your experiences and how you have developed your skill set, and solely using one role can be risky in the firm thinking there isn’t anything else to you but your current role.

Sometimes people also use the examples that they think most closely align with the firm’s work (as you have suggested is the case) rather than the example that truly is the best example of the competency or skill they are looking for - so keep this in mind too especially if your examples are all from one role.

You also say the role is recent too - so you have to be mindful to show how you have developed your skills over a period of time.
Thank you so much, Jessica. This all makes so much sense, appreciate it.

dms21

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2023
Hi, does anyone know if Gowling is recruiting on a rolling basis? I saw a post saying they recruit on a non-rolling basis but this was for last year's application cycle. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys! I am finishing my application to Eversheds Insight Evening and the website says the deadline is tomorrow. Does that mean that I have to submit it today or do I still have tomorrow to make final adjustments? They were not clear if they meant it closes at midnight tomorrow or monday. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Deadlines will include the day of the deadline. Given it’s the weekend, I would expect it closed as 23.59 on the date mentioned.

DKLaw

Star Member
Feb 8, 2023
If you studied a different A-level equivalent course like computing before doing the law A-level equivalent or at a similar level, can/should you discuss that in the why law questions? I am asking because I went through that experience and realized that legal aspects of computing like patents and cyberlaw was what interested me more than the coding/web development part, and that was one of the major reasons that I decided to shift to a law course and pursue a career.
Hi @Jessica Booker . @axelbeugre, could you please share your opinions on this.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
Nov 8, 2023
Holding myself accountable (again):

Willkie Farr & Gallagher ✅📼📝
Covington & Burling ✅
Shearman & Sterling ✅
White & Case ✅📼
Milbank ✅
Ropes & Gray ✅
Arnold & Porter ✅
Sullivan & Cromwell ✅
Latham & Watkins ✅
Kirkland & Ellis ✅
Skadden Arps ✅
Vinson & Elkins ✅
Weil Gotshal & Manges ✅
Akin ✅
Gibson Dunn ✅❌
Goodwin ✅
Cleary Gottlieb ✅
Paul Hastings ✅
Ashurst ✅ 📝❌
Macfarlanes ✅📝
Mayer Brown ✅📝
King & Spalding?
Winston & Strawn?
Morgan Lewis ✅
Fried Frank (1st January)
Orrick ✅
Dechert ✅
Cooley ✅
Morrison Foerster ✅
Slaughter and May ✅❌

✅ = application; 📝 = test/written exercise; 📼 = VI, ❌ = PFO.

Three PFOs, but honestly, the excitement you get even just getting an open-day invite or a VI makes it all worthwhile.
NRF - Pfo
Travers Smith - Interview
HL - Waiting following wg
Akin Gump - Submitted app
CC - Passed wg
S&S wvs - Waiting following vi
A&O - VI pending
Kirkland - App submitted
Apps working on cms hsf ashurst links weil dla (Manchester)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.