Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For the Goodwin VS application it asks you to add information about which other firms you are applying to. Is there a best way of doing this? Is it tactical? Should I mention that I have already secured a vac scheme with a magic circle firm? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker please could you share some insight? Thank you!
What’s the word count/limit for the answer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! About the education history part, if I did not take the GCSE and I took the other education system and exam for my secondary education, how should I describe it on application form ? I mean I'm not sure the firm familiar with that exam
Which qualifications did you study and in which country?

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
I have a lot of experience to list down, too. What I tend to do is to describe what the company is in the first sentence. The rest should clarify what I did in these roles, the impact I created (if any and quantify ideally), and explain my achievements (i.e., converted a 1-month internship into a two month due to a good review, or receiving praise from a managing partner for a presentation etc.,)

You can use liaised with staff, for example but I would phrase it more powerfully and give more context to explain the skillset required and challenges (if any) involved.

I think group themes of tasks in paragraphs might be a good idea. As in, office related tasks can be grouped together -> describe impact in that context. Court related tasks can be grouped together -> explain impact to facilitating the smooth running of a trial.
Great answer! Thanks for your help :)

• 🏆
Reactions: futuretrainee202X

Ellewoodz

Aug 27, 2023
What’s the word count/limit for the answer?
The entire question is: Briefly summarise anything else that you would like to add that you think may be relevant to your application. Please include: Positions of responsibility, extra curricular activities, achievements/ academic awards/ scholarships and information about which other firms you are applying to. (300 words).

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I'm currently in the process of writing Skadden's application and the question I'm focusing on is: "Why are you applying for a training contract at Skadden and why do you believe you are suited to the firm?"

Generally, I know that it's best to have three points in a "why the firm" answer, but I was wondering if it was a bad idea to only go with 2 points in further detail? I'm focusing on the international nature of the firm and their focus on pro bono, and then am tying both of these into why I believe I'm well suited to the firm.

Would it be better to try and make these points more concise and get a third in or is sticking with only two fine?
I think that the number of reasons you give for why a specific firm should make sense to you and what you want to highlight. If you think that these two points, explored in further detail (which show your research), combined with your own experiences and background, can result in a better answer that represents you and your genuine interest in the firm, then I would say that two reasons are perfectly fine.

I myself used three or two reasons when I was applying last year depending on the word count and what made sense to me and my background and experiences, so do not feel like you should follow a three reasons why approach all the time. In some instances, the word count itself will not allow this to be as effective, and so try to see if other approaches do make much more sense. And in your case, as far as I am concerned, the 2 reasons why you want to join Skadden perfectly works.

Good luck with the application! @laby201

Reactions: Jaysen

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
For the Goodwin VS application it asks you to add information about which other firms you are applying to. Is there a best way of doing this? Is it tactical? Should I mention that I have already secured a vac scheme with a magic circle firm? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker please could you share some insight? Thank you!
In my application last year I mentioned some (not all) the firms I applied to and got through further stages of the application such as assessment centres invite, interview invites etc. I do not think it is a strategic intent behind it, however, I would say that if you are generally applying to firms that do similar things to Goodwin, it will probably be looked at positively.

I mentioned a variety of different firms, from US firms, to international city firms so I would not say that you only have to mention US firms if that was something you were concerned about too. You should mention that you already have a vacation scheme offer in my opinion, stressing how Goodwin's scheme will probably be your main choice though!

Good luck with the application! @Ellewoodz

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! About the education history part, if I did not take the GCSE and I took the other education system and exam for my secondary education, how should I describe it on application form ? I mean I'm not sure the firm familiar with that exam
I was in the same situation and so I basically explained the grading system and consequently mentioned my grades. When I was applying last year, I received the advice of give a brief explanation of the system, the grading scheme and your grades, and they will do the further checks necessary. Mine was an explanation of 7-8 lines.
I hope that helps,

Good luck! @Cynthia14

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I educated in China for my secondary education until 16 years old
I would provide the grading system as you know it for the equivalent of GCSEs (assuming you are asked for them). If this is a percentage (what I am used to seeing anyway), then it’s fairly self explanatory, but you can provide any context such as where you may rank either in terms of your school/region/country if you have this information.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The entire question is: Briefly summarise anything else that you would like to add that you think may be relevant to your application. Please include: Positions of responsibility, extra curricular activities, achievements/ academic awards/ scholarships and information about which other firms you are applying to. (300 words).
Axel has already provided some great guidance on this.

If you feel it needs explaining, you can provide one or two sentences that either explain the similarities between the firm, or if they are quite different from one another your reasons for exploring those differences (that is very normal and almost expected for a vacation scheme!)

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    I was in the same situation and so I basically explained the grading system and consequently mentioned my grades. When I was applying last year, I received the advice of give a brief explanation of the system, the grading scheme and your grades, and they will do the further checks necessary. Mine was an explanation of 7-8 lines.
    I hope that helps,

Good luck! @Cynthia14
    but if there isn't a space for explanation?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.