TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

SonM

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 13, 2020
Hi everyone! I am working on the DWF application and was hoping for some advice. The question is:

Please comment on a commercial news topic or trend which has interested you recently. Within your response, please consider how this news topic or trend is relevant to DWF. (250 words)

As insurance is DWF's key practice, I am focusing on this area. Noting how global the nature of insurance is, I wanted to narrow this question down to the Asian market, but I am afraid that this might be too off-topic, given that I am applying to the London office. Should I refocus this question back on the UK/European market to better align with the office, or since it's an open question, the Asia focus wouldn't matter? Any tips are welcome!

Edit: I am planning on making an explicit reference to this in my answer i.e. Given the global nature of (re)insurance, I have limited my response to the Asian market.

Cecylia03

Nov 6, 2023
For the work experience section on the Clifford Chance application, are we supposed to link the skills we demonstrate back to commercial law? I can't find any guidance on it, however I do know from the webinars they explicitly said to do so for the competence question.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For the work experience section on the Clifford Chance application, are we supposed to link the skills we demonstrate back to commercial law? I can't find any guidance on it, however I do know from the webinars they explicitly said to do so for the competence question.
If a firm has told you to do it, then I would always do so. It’s better to take any guidance on this from the horse’s mouth, rather than someone else’s opinion.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker I was hoping for some guidance with this commercial awareness question for Goodwin: "Identify a current commercial issue which has attracted your attention recently. Why do you consider it to be significant? Who are the key stakeholders and what are the implications for those concerned?". Should I link the issue to the legal sector/ Goodwin? Or does it want us to only talk about those involved? Thank you!
In my experience, I talked about a commercial issue and link it back to the legal sector and to Goodwin because the issue was very relevant to Goodwin's practice areas. I think that, to some level, a connection could be good, but it is not necessary, especially if the issue you are talking about does not have a direct connection to the legal sector. Additionally, the question does not ask you to directly connect the issue with the legal sector so it is not a requirement per se.

I guess that some things I would consider when it comes to this question are:
  • Is there a direct connection you can make?
  • Does the connection you want to make makes sense as to answering the question?
  • Since the question asks you to identify the key stakeholders, think about if those are within the legal sector or not
Overall, I do not think it is a necessity to link the issue back to the legal sector and Goodwin, however, I did!

Good luck with the application!

Reactions: Jaysen

HLL

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2021
Has anyone received anymore updates on Simmons & Simmons wvs?
Hey I just got a pfo. The email said ‘unfortunately we are now at capacity for our winter vacation scheme and cannot transfer your application to another scheme’. No idea if this means they’re really full or will still give out more ACs

• 🤝
Reactions: Aga123+ and Flutterbyx303

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey! Found leads on this?
Hey, this is the advice that I gave to someone who asked the same question, I hope that helps:

www.thecorporatelawacademy.com

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Yes i got one the day after i failed sorry to hear that, did they give you any percentile benchmark that was supposed to be met?

Good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I personally feel like it makes sense to only describe your tasks and responsibilities in the work experience section on law firm applications. The advice that the firm gave you was for the competence question, which makes sense. However, I would talk to future trainees on LinkedIn and see what they have done to make sure you are doing the right think!

Reactions: Cecylia03

hannahfl

Esteemed Member
May 30, 2021
Hey I just got a pfo. The email said ‘unfortunately we are now at capacity for our winter vacation scheme and cannot transfer your application to another scheme’. No idea if this means they’re really full or will still give out more ACs
I wonder if they have issued all WVS places now then.
I’m waiting to hear back post AC

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.