TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Hey, well done on progressing to the test ! I just found out about this diversity scheme and was wondering if they consider successful applicants for a TC or do you need to apply separately for that?
    Thank you! Yes, I remember grad rec saying that success on the scheme can lead to a TC :) I’ve got a TC application drafted anyways, just in case I’m not successful on the scheme so I’d recommend doing that too

Reactions: DKLaw

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Does a campus ambassador role for a year go under work experience section?
    Does virtual experience programme on forage go under work experience section as well because their (forage) guideline is to include it under 'achievements'

Thanks in advance
    Yes, a campus ambassador role does go under work experience section.
    When it comes to virtual experience programmes on forage, what I would say is, they usually say to put it under achievements on a CV, not on an application for a law firm. If you have a lot of professional experiences, then I would not include virtual experiences. I personally did not include any forage experience when I was applying last year because I had a lot of professional experiences.
    Overall, I think you can include all of the above in the work experience section.

Reactions: Cynthia14 and Aaj03

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    In a cover letter, is it okay to mention your completion of another firm's Forage course as a means to emphaise 'why law' and attest to your interest in a certain area of law?
    I think it is valid as long as you specifically focus on what you learned from it and how that experience made you interested in commercial law and in that specific area of law that you are mentioning.

Reactions: legallyells

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Do you have any advice on this question? @axelbeugre
    Choose one of our clients and explain a challenge they are currently facing. What could the organisation do to overcome this challenge and how could we assist? 400 words
    Hey @Untilwinter,

There are things to take into account:
    • Do your research on the clients of the firm. This could be down through looking at the website of the firm, or look at websites such as chambers student, legal cheek, or any other legal-based website. I think it is really important to know exactly which are the clients of the firms that you might be interested in. Eventually, LinkedIn is also a good way to learn about the clients as some times the law firms will comment on some clients' successes or repost their posts.
    • Once you have selected the client you want to talk about, do some further research on the client and identify a business issue that it is facing or has been facing recently.
    • I would not focus too much on going over the issue and explaining the intricacies of that, but mainly focus on how you think the company can implement new ways to face the issue, and how the law firm can assist from a legal stand point. When it comes to this last point, I would focus on whether there are issues within the organisation or with a transaction they recently went into, I would look at synergy issues, employees satisfaction, position of the company within the market (when it comes to the company entering into a transaction for instance) or implementation of new market strategy, diversification of products sold (if the issue is more internal to the company). These are just examples of things to think about.
    I hope this helps you and good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.