TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
Hi guys, how would you suggest answering the question 'why commercial law' when you have no previous experience related to anything within the legal field? Should I literally talk about why I want to be a commercial lawyer, or is it necessary to link the answer to experiences as a form of evidence as to why I want to go into commercial law?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jamie125

Dec 1, 2023
Slaughtered & Dismayed: Does your cover letter not matter? Or is it nepotism?

Yesterday, I read a cover letter of someone who has made it to the assessment centre stage at Slaughter & May. Prior to reading it, I was keen to see what a successful cover letter looked like and what I can learn from it; but after reading it I was beyond baffled.

The cover letter was the most generic cover letter you can imagine, it was to the point you could replace the name ‘Slaughter and May’ with any other law firm, and send it out. There was nothing that was specific to the law firm (e.g. I want to join S&M because of their emphasis on the value of teamwork and I value teamwork because I played basket ball in sixth form, type of sentences).

I was confused how this cover letter has made it through, but it became clear after I found out their parents arranged for them to meet with a senior member of the law firm.

To be honest, I would understand if they wrote about how their meeting inspired them to be a commercial lawyer or work in S&M but there was not a single sentence about that on their cover letter.

Thus, I have come to two conclusions. Either nepotism prevails. Or your cover letter doesn’t matter at all and its only down to grades (they have decent grades for the most part).

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023

Yesterday, I read a cover letter of someone who has made it to the assessment centre stage at Slaughter & May. Prior to reading it, I was keen to see what a successful cover letter looked like and what I can learn from it; but after reading it I was beyond baffled.

The cover letter was the most generic cover letter you can imagine, it was to the point you could replace the name ‘Slaughter and May’ with any other law firm, and send it out. There was nothing that was specific to the law firm (e.g. I want to join S&M because of their emphasis on the value of teamwork and I value teamwork because I played basket ball in sixth form, type of sentences).

I was confused how this cover letter has made it through, but it became clear after I found out their parents arranged for them to meet with a senior member of the law firm.

To be honest, I would understand if they wrote about how their meeting inspired them to be a commercial lawyer or work in S&M but there was not a single sentence about that on their cover letter.

Thus, I have come to two conclusions. Either nepotism prevails. Or your cover letter doesn’t matter at all and its only down to grades (they have decent grades for the most part).
    Tell Tea Time GIF by Dreezy

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021

valid conclusions tbf 😭 giving my own two cents to the matter, in my own personal experience w the firm, I have found that there is an emphasis on grades where they r looking for high 2:1s and 1sts in your modules throughout for you to make the cut

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.