TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
I don’t know the exact reason that I’m posting this…feel like just to vent I guess…. I am today on the verge of changing my desired career path away from being a lawyer. Just bombed another interview today that I prepared so well for simply because of my stutter that I can’t control nor can I cure. Wishing you all the best in your future applications everyone but I can’t keep stuttering and failing.

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    I don’t know the exact reason that I’m posting this…feel like just to vent I guess…. I am today on the verge of changing my desired career path away from being a lawyer. Just bombed another interview today that I prepared so well for simply because of my stutter that I can’t control nor can I cure. Wishing you all the best in your future applications everyone but I can’t keep stuttering and failing.
    When doing pre-recorded interviews - email grad rec letting them know that you have a stutter.
    When doing video/face to face/telephone interviews - let the interviewer(s) know that you have a stutter.

If you are genuinely passionate about being a lawyer, a stutter shouldn’t get in the way of that! You are making it to interview stage as well so you definitely have what it takes. So don’t give up

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! I find here is a question "Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application." on the application form of Hogan Lovells. So usually what kind of additional details should i include in my application?
    It really depends on what you feel you were not able to discuss in the other answers and throughout the application questions. I remember that when I applied to the firm I talked about all the scholarship that I got from high school until university, volunteering experiences, and anything I was not able to discuss in my applications like being selected for a EU project around citizenship and equality in Italy.

I feel like anything that make you an interesting candidate should be mentioned but mainly, scholarships and awards and volunteering experiences are something you can always mention.

I hope that helps and good luck with the application!

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Just completed the Gowling VI! Although I answered the questions thoroughly the time limit meant that I was cut off mid sentence for a couple of the questions. How badly will this affect my outcome?
    As long as you got the main points out, I don’t think it should be a problem. If you only had about 20 seconds left of points to make then it’s not too bad. If you still had 1 minute plus left of points to make then I’d be a bit worried

livrobertson

Premium Member
    Sep 23, 2023
    HL is my favourite firm and I attended their first year insight scheme. I submitted my application for the vacation scheme in October and i just clicked on 'view my application' to have a look and it said that I left the details of my work experience sections blank. I don't think I would do this as I previewed my application before submitting it. I am very stressed about this and have also emailed them about it, writing out the sections again in the email. Will this be a PFO now or can they be understanding about these things if I have tried to remedy it??? Thanks
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre with strength based telephone interviews will motivations and practice area questions be asked?
    Would you say asking a candidate about a current news article to be strength/competency question or commercial?
    Everything can be asked by the interviewer so you should be prepared to answer any kind of motivations or competency based question or commercial question. When I was applying I used to prepare on everything even though I knew what they would have asked just because I felt more confident that way. I think it is a good practice too since you can use what you have prepared to answer questions you might not even have expected.

Personally, I would deem a question regarding a current news as a commercial question since they will try to understand if you have fully comprehended the piece of news you are talking about but also see what you think/know about the topic at hand (if asked).

Good luck with your interview and congratulations for reaching that stage if you did!!

Reactions: Legalstalker

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey @livrobertson,

I would not worry especially because you emailed them and they are aware of the situation, and you also included the original text so I would say you did everything you could have done. It probably was an issue caused by the website. I am pretty sure that law firms are very understanding with things like this.

Last year when I was applying I faced some issues with some application forms and I have always reached out the firm in question for clarification or to update them on some issue I had filling out the form with the correct information and they were all super supportive and understanding of the situation.

Do not worry too much and good luck with the application!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: livrobertson

SS21

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Can someone clarify what 'within 5 days' means for completing the DLA WG?

I got the link yesterday (11th) at 2 pm, will I be okay doing the test on the 15th? And do I need to make sure I complete it before 2 pm on the 15th or is any time on that day okay?

I'm definitely overthinking but just want to get some more practice in...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.