TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
I jus wrote a cover letter for Ashurst, tell me why the next 2 app qs underneath is tell me what you know about Ashurst + why you applying and what do you think a commercial lawyer does 😭 what was the point of the cover letter then PLEASE
It is not a cover letter. It is a personal statement to talk about yourself. You don't need to mention your motivation to the firm in the 750 words paragraph. You can do it in the second question. (the GR covered this in a firm event)

May be overthinking this, Travers Smith ask within their application
If a direct process for a training contract was a possibility would you prefer to take this route rather than attend a scheme?

Just wondering why this is? Would they offer you the possibility of a direct training contract instead of a VC if too many people applied?

miunevie

Jan 1, 2024
Hi, was wondering if anyone knows which firms aren't so picky about first year grades? No "legit" ECs, but I was HEAVILY influenced by someone whom I was in a toxic relationship with and wasn't studying as I should've, and I was also constantly going through mental battles. I had two horrendous grades of the five exams I took. Truly, truly horrendous. I did several legal work experiences back to back during the summer, and am involved in many clubs and societies. Feeling incredibly discouraged. Where on earth could I even apply to?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
May be overthinking this, Travers Smith ask within their application
If a direct process for a training contract was a possibility would you prefer to take this route rather than attend a scheme?

Just wondering why this is? Would they offer you the possibility of a direct training contract instead of a VC if too many people applied?
The VS opportunity is typically open before the TC opportunity. There are also many more VS places than TC (80 VS compared to 35 TC). This means many people may apply to the VS just because it’s the first thing open or because applicants think they can only really apply to the VS to secure a TC given the high ratio of VS to TC places.

However, there will be some people who don’t really want to do a VS (maybe they have lots of legal work experience already/maybe they can’t get time off work), so this gives people the opportunity to explain why they would prefer a direct TC process.

I don’t think they would offer your a TC if the Vs just filled up, but they might consider your individual circumstances and think that a TC process is favourable to you as a candidate. They won’t want to miss out of great talent.

Reactions: Njaliwe Ungwe

ah898

Star Member
  • Nov 9, 2023
    Hi, was wondering if anyone knows which firms aren't so picky about first year grades? No "legit" ECs, but I was HEAVILY influenced by someone whom I was in a toxic relationship with and wasn't studying as I should've, and I was also constantly going through mental battles. I had two horrendous grades of the five exams I took. Truly, truly horrendous. I did several legal work experiences back to back during the summer, and am involved in many clubs and societies. Feeling incredibly discouraged. Where on earth could I even apply to?
    I’m not sure if you’re 2nd or 3rd year, but I got 51% in first year. I decided not to do applications in 2nd year because I figured they wouldn’t be too competitive and focused on getting a good 2nd year grade instead. I’ve been applying this year and have progressed with a few firms so far.

I’ve sent a lot of applications(20+), because I didn’t know which firms were less ‘forgiving’ if you had really bad first year grades. But I’m sure if you do/have done well in second year and show the progress plenty of firms will be okay with it.

Reactions: biglaworbust

thelawnet

Sep 7, 2023
    Can anyone explain what this means?
    • Be available to start the training contract position in September 2026
    • Have completed, or be able to complete, your Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)/Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE)/Legal Practice Course (LPC) before September 2026

Will you be able to start your TC programme in Autumn 2026? Please note you will need to have completed all of your legal education (LLB/GDL/SQE) before this point. *
    No​
    Yes​
    Please tell us if you could commence your TC prior to Autumn 2026? *
    Yes - 2024
    Yes - 2025
    I am not able to begin earlier than 2026

I will complete my PGDL (not GDL) in May 2024. I expect therefore to do SQE1 in January 2025 and and SQE2 in April 2025.

So would that put me in 2024 or 2025?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can anyone explain what this means?
    • Be available to start the training contract position in September 2026
    • Have completed, or be able to complete, your Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)/Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE)/Legal Practice Course (LPC) before September 2026

Will you be able to start your TC programme in Autumn 2026? Please note you will need to have completed all of your legal education (LLB/GDL/SQE) before this point. *
    No​
    Yes​
    Please tell us if you could commence your TC prior to Autumn 2026? *
    Yes - 2024
    Yes - 2025
    I am not able to begin earlier than 2026

I will complete my PGDL (not GDL) in May 2024. I expect therefore to do SQE1 in January 2025 and and SQE2 in April 2025.

So would that put me in 2024 or 2025?
    Based on what you have said, you could start on 2025 as you would have your SQE2 results by August/September 2025. You may find the earliest you can sit SQE2 though is July as you wouldn’t get your SQE1 results until March 2025 and may not have time to book in for the SQE2 until the July sitting.

Reactions: thelawnet

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.