TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Amehta1

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 4, 2023
    There has been maybe 3 mentions of Latham AC so far, I think 1 for spring and 2 for summer. I wouldn't worry.
    Yeah it’s so hard to stay motivated for Latham following their silence. They had one major round of PFOs on December 15th but who knows if they are gonna do another round of PFOs or if it’s only gonna be acceptances from now on.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    This is a random question, but with rolling deadlines, why am I yet to hear when others who said they applied after me have heard back with either a PFO or VI offer?

Surely if it's rolling and I applied before someone, my application would get reviewed first, right? Yet I've seen people discuss firms where they applied after me or even on the deadline and have already heard. If they've viewed mine, why not just give the PFO? Unless they place you in a "maybe" pile? I don't get it. The waiting kills me more than anything.

Reactions: dms21 and Sharon Wu

19.mfjones

Star Member
  • Oct 16, 2023
    Silly question but for Pinsent Masons blended assessment can you use the calculator on your phone? I don't have an actual one on hand.

I'm not sure if the camera is on during the whole test and if it would look like I'm cheating lol
    I don't have a calculator either except for my phone, so whenever I do an assessment that needs it and the camera is on, at the start I show the camera that my phone is being used as a calculator, so that if they call me out on cheating, I can ask them to look at the footage and they will see. I'm probs being paranoid but it makes me feel better

• Haha
    Reactions: MrHubertLouis

19.mfjones

Star Member
  • Oct 16, 2023
    Bit worried now because I applied for the Manchester office for AG and not heard anything (about a week before the deadline).

Also applied for Reed Smith a week before the deadline and people have had acceptances applying after me - I feel like I'm in for a week of PFOs soon, especially since the questions were similar for both :/

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is a random question, but with rolling deadlines, why am I yet to hear when others who said they applied after me have heard back with either a PFO or VI offer?

Surely if it's rolling and I applied before someone, my application would get reviewed first, right? Yet I've seen people discuss firms where they applied after me or even on the deadline and have already heard. If they've viewed mine, why not just give the PFO? Unless they place you in a "maybe" pile? I don't get it. The waiting kills me more than anything.
    Lots of different reasons why this can happen, but here a a few of the key reasons:

1) If there have been any psychometric tests or early assessments, they may rank applications on the performance in those test.

2) different people are reviewing the applications and it just happens the person reviewing yours is slower in reviewing their than other people reviewing applications

3) your application is on hold - it’s been reviewed and a final decision has not been made on it yet.

SS21

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    I don't have a calculator either except for my phone, so whenever I do an assessment that needs it and the camera is on, at the start I show the camera that my phone is being used as a calculator, so that if they call me out on cheating, I can ask them to look at the footage and they will see. I'm probs being paranoid but it makes me feel better
    Fairs thank you, I've just ordered a calculator rn so I don't have to worry about it haha

Reactions: 19.mfjones

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    Is it okay to say in an app that a firm was ranked Tier 2 in a practice area by Legal500? Or should we only mention when they are ranked Tier 1?

Hey! Just to quote on what Jessica said, of course you can, as long as you can substantiate your reasoning behind citing it :)

It’s not really a matter whether they are band 1 or 2 (or even 3), but you’ve got to explain why these rankings are going to be important to you/your experience as a trainee.

My first thought is whether the ranking is really adding anything to the point you are making? If you are applying to the London office and it has a lower ranking, can you just not focus on your interests in this work and they type of work the London office does without the reference to the ranking?

Reactions: SR99

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.