Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Generally, how often are firms able to allow future trainees to start earlier than the prescribed start date, when the trainees are eligible to start earlier? Is it fairly common practice?

@Jessica Booker
I wouldn’t say it is fairly common - it probably impacts less than 10% of trainee intakes across firms, and for some firms it may not happen at all.

Somethings can make it more likely - if the firm has a significant period of growth or if the firm has a larger number of trainees not pass the SQE, then more vacancies could become available:

Some firms operate waiting list systems and so if you get on that list it’s hard to know what your chances are unless you know where on that list you are.

Generally I would expect to start on the start date you have been given and then it is a potential bonus if you can start earlier.

Reactions: LawfulRust00

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've got an invite to an AC but I'm not in the country for the dates they've provided.

The AC includes a group exercise as well. Not sure on what to do. Does anyone have any tips?
You need to speak to them to explain this. They might be able to offer a virtual AC (group exercises can be done virtually) or they may be able to provide a later AC date. But the only way you will find out is if you speak to the firm to discuss this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Out of curiosity, if one set of people who applied at the same time receive an AC invite, and another receive the invite later, does this imply a hierarchy of preference for GR? Trying to understand whether it's simply a fact of scheduling, or an indication of your rank on the totem pole. First cycle so utterly clueless about how this all works lol
No - you can’t make that assumption. There’s lots of reasons why batches can occur.

ta_rm

Premium Member
Jan 4, 2024
There is a VI for Skadden? Thought it was TI but also they said they removed it. Pretty sure people said they moved straight to AC.
Yes they removed the TI making getting the AC really competitive this year. The AC is three part written exercise, VI and group activity. @Yesha.2 from what I’ve heard is they mostly ask motivational and commercial questions solely from your application. They don’t really ask competency based questions. Hope this helps and good luck!

Yesha.2

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 3, 2023
Yes they removed the TI making getting the AC really competitive this year. The AC is three part written exercise, VI and group activity. @Yesha.2 from what I’ve heard is they mostly ask motivational and commercial questions solely from your application. They don’t really ask competency based questions. Hope this helps and good luck!
Thank you! This is immensely helpful.

ta_rm

Premium Member
Jan 4, 2024
Thank you! This is immensely helpful.
No worries. I took their interview last yesterday although I was unsuccessful, they asked me questions like why Skadden, why distinguishes them from their competitors, sectors of the firm that interest you, impact on their clients etc. They will try to push you but remember they just want to understand your aspirations.

Reactions: Yesha.2

s9111

Distinguished Member
Aug 17, 2023
I haven’t heard back after a Vac Scheme AC but I know people who interviewed a day or two after me who have, and have received offers. Should I be worried?

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.