TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Is performance at an assessment centre generally viewed holistically?

I had three interviews and felt two went well and one I struggled and wouldn’t say it was strong at all. Do you need to perform highly across all three interviews to have a chance or could the strength of the other two help my case?

I know it’s out of my hands now but really replaying the bad interview in my mind and want to know if there’s any indication that I’m still in with a shot? :)
    Omg I’m in the exact same situation after my RPC AC today😭 did really well in the first interview (competency-based/motivational/commercial awareness, scenario Qs) and I think I did well in the written exercise but I completely bombed the case study interview (which was the shortest one) but yeah..because of that I’m stressing and I think it might be a rejection

Does anyone have any insights? Did anyone pass an AC where you feel you didn’t do well in all three tasks?

• 🤝
    • Sad
    Reactions: AB and Sharon Wu

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Omg I’m in the exact same situation after my RPC AC today😭 did really well in the first interview (competency-based/motivational/commercial awareness, scenario Qs) and I think I did well in the written exercise but I completely bombed the case study interview (which was the shortest one) but yeah..because of that I’m stressing and I think it might be a rejection

Does anyone have any insights? Did anyone pass an AC where you feel you didn’t do well in all three tasks?
    Same situation as you…

• Sad
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    HSF PFO post-AC.

Can’t say I’m not gutted. Feel like I applied myself, worked really hard in the buildup and spent days preparing. Honestly don’t think I could have done more.

I feel the feedback report seems quite generalised and perhaps not the best reflection of my performance but not going to dwell on it.

Think that’s me done for this application cycle as just emotionally and mentally drained but thank you to everyone on this forum for all the support you’ve shown. This really is a fantastic community ❤️

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: zczl820, AB, ia1234 and 37 others

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Is performance at an assessment centre generally viewed holistically?

I had three interviews and felt two went well and one I struggled and wouldn’t say it was strong at all. Do you need to perform highly across all three interviews to have a chance or could the strength of the other two help my case?

I know it’s out of my hands now but really replaying the bad interview in my mind and want to know if there’s any indication that I’m still in with a shot? :)
    It really is difficult to tell but I am sure it went better than you think. There have been assessment centres I have done last year which I thought went horribly and I ended up getting the offer in the end so I really would recommend not thinking about it. What you might consider bad, might not be perceived in the same way by your interviewers.

Additionally, remember that you have done everything in your power to succeed today and you are already so smart for even getting to this stage, I personally would be so proud of myself if I was you as many people cannot say to have been this lucky unfortunately.

The result is still not out so just think about how far you've come and how much you have learned through this process and I am sure you will be able to succeed in the end.

Generally, you would need to have impressed all your interviewers to a certain degree so this is important to bear in mind. Having said that, you never know what might have been interesting or appealing to one interviewer compared to another so I would say focus on the positive aspects of the situation and wait for the result which I am sure will be positive.

Good luck with your cycle!

Reactions: Jaysen

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    Hey @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre any idea on how to prepare for verbal case study interviews for an AC? Am I meant to look at the written case studies examples, plan it out and write down my ideas? I was thinking to first prepare by going into the firm's specific 4 practise areas and finding some relevant commercial news around these sectors and any recent deals that interest me. But im not sure sure who i can discuss these case studies with, as most of my friends / family are not in the commercial field at all! Any ideas?

dms21

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2023
    to those with premium membership on TCLA do you think it would be worth it me buying it to look previous info for one firm (Pinsent) or not? i don't want to spend money if i wouldn't find it useful for the AC.

any advice or tips plsss
    Hey, may I ask when you applied and when did you receive the invite for the interview and is this for the SVS? I also have the gold membership so feel free to message me if you want to ask for more info on the firm/ subscription!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalstalker

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Me too!! They said at the open day earlier applicants will get an earlier AC (first AC was today) so hopefully after today we’ll start to hear back
    Sorry to say this, but I attended their AC today, and they said that this is their 3rd AC, and only one remaining to be on Friday 2nd of February. They run 4 ACs in total.
    Hope this helps and sorry if it is a disappointing news.

GWJlaw

Star Member
    Nov 6, 2023
    HSF PFO post-AC.

Can’t say I’m not gutted. Feel like I applied myself, worked really hard in the buildup and spent days preparing. Honestly don’t think I could have done more.

I feel the feedback report seems quite generalised and perhaps not the best reflection of my performance but not going to dwell on it.

Think that’s me done for this application cycle as just emotionally and mentally drained but thank you to everyone on this forum for all the support you’ve shown. This really is a fantastic community ❤️
    Please don't forget that getting these ACs was still a massive achievement, last cycle i'm sure you never thought you'd get this far. Don't give up as you never know when the right opportunity for you will arise !

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.