TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    "If you were a character in a video game, what kind of game would it be" is a super fun question until you're on your fourth app of the day with 10 minutes until deadline and find yourself espousing the merits of being minecraft steve and likening major casualties in wet shipping to creepers
    Good ole withers🤣🤣

Last edited:

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 17, 2023
    applied for 5 firms today… not saying any of them were good, but i did something- just wish i didn’t leave it so late that i get heart palpitations
    same, writing the apps for harbottle & lewis + lewis silkin at the same time was such a risky play. I am refusing to save my applications bc I know I will find "harbottle & lewis silkin" somewhere lol

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 17, 2023
    Good old withers🤣🤣
    appropriate bc i'm fully withering away
    Yellow Smiley GIF by Feluko

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    To anyone that has done NRF's arctic shores assessment, do you know how your performance is assessed? I was a bit traumatised after taking Gowling's version and finding out that they didn't factor in your actual 'score' in the games. Is NRF the same? Am considering whether or not it would be a good use of my time to make an application, especially if I can't really practise for the arctic shores assessment.

Reactions: Aaj03 and jplaw1010

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker If a firm has no minimum grade requirements, will those with a high-performing track record be seen more favourable during the application process than somebody with less impressive grades?
    If academics were the only measure, then yes, someone with a higher performance will be consider a stronger candidate. But there are lots of different factors that create a good candidate, and clearly the firm doesn’t need to see a strong academic background alone, and can see strength in other aspects of the application.

Reactions: jplaw1010 and Sharon Wu

Percypig12

Valued Member
    Oct 19, 2021
    To anyone that has done NRF's arctic shores assessment, do you know how your performance is assessed? I was a bit traumatised after taking Gowling's version and finding out that they didn't factor in your actual 'score' in the games. Is NRF the same? Am considering whether or not it would be a good use of my time to make an application, especially if I can't really practise for the arctic shores assessment.
    Wdym by didn't factor in actual score?

JLaw56

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hi, good morning, I have my Sidley Austin interview in February, is anyone fine to share some tips, especially those who have already done that interview please?

Also, my email it says that I can contact the graduate recruitment if I would like to speak to one of their diverse lawyers ahead of the interview. Do you think I should do this to show interest in the firm?

Reactions: Aaj03

KHAM2002

Standard Member
    Dec 27, 2022
    Hi everyone. I have accepted a vac scheme at a firm that only recruits trainees through its vac schemes. As I am currently working full-time, I have limited annual leave days which means that I cannot complete any more vac schemes alongside the one I have accepted. When should I let the other firms I have applied to (all of which do take trainees through the direct TC route) know about my situation to see if I can convert my vac scheme application into a direct TC one. I’m not sure whether to let them know now or further along/at the end of the assessment process. I would appreciate any help on this! @Jessica Booker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Hi everyone. I have accepted a vac scheme at a firm that only recruits trainees through its vac schemes. As I am currently working full-time, I have limited annual leave days which means that I cannot complete any more vac schemes alongside the one I have accepted. When should I let the other firms I have applied to (all of which do take trainees through the direct TC route) know about my situation to see if I can convert my vac scheme application into a direct TC one. I’m not sure whether to let them know now or further along/at the end of the assessment process. I would appreciate any help on this! @Jessica Booker
    This is something i fear! i only have 14 days of annual leave left for the year (as I've booked holidays) for my Ac's my manager as told me to use annual leave so the more Ac's i get the less i'll be able to do a VS as i will have no time off anymore! I've just decided i will have the flu on the week i have a 1 week vac scheme so i "can't" go to work and I'll decline if I get a 2 week one and ask to be forwarded to direct TC application if they allow it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.