TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

abhuzaifa

Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2023
Shoosmiths is a firm of individuals, with a culture that will actively allow you to grow your skills and challenge yourself. Focusing on one previous experience (in personal, work or study), what skills have you developed that will support your career as a solicitor? (300 words)

Guys, for this question, would you explain how the relevant skill would benefit your career as a solicitor with an example? Or, would you just use a STAR structure and explain what skill you have developed through your experience?

I’m asking this since the question doesn’t say “how” will ‘x’ skill support your career as a solicitor, so I’m not sure whether to explain that or not.

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: axelbeugre

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
I read on here that some people have had feedback from firms on 'how do you differentiate yourself from other applicants' questions where they've said it's not sufficient to speak about skills that you've developed and how they would be applicable to the role (makes sense, but also explains why I've had trouble with this question haha). I've tried to think more about intrinsic traits I have rather than skills, like curiosity for example. Is that a good way of going about it or is there a better approach? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
Can confirm this is how it works. I work in BD in an international elite with a particular focus on client dev and no client as far as I am aware gives two hoots about degree. Most lawyers we put forward in pitches graduated years ago. At this point it matters more about DEI quota, hourly rates, and credentials ie matters worked on.
This is interesting. I never knew client cared that much about dei quota.
Why do some law firms care less/more about DEI quota than other firms though (from client/commercial perspective)?

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Just completed a first ever Arctic Shoes for NRF and it was an experience 🤣 The face recognition one was particularly strange as there were 60 creepy faces that seemed practically identical.

I suppose you can't read too much into the feedback report at this stage? I'd say 90% of mine were in the middle, then a few to the right and a few to the left of the circles.

Reactions: Chelsea1 and DGI235

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
Just completed a first ever Arctic Shoes for NRF and it was an experience 🤣 The face recognition one was particularly strange as there were 60 creepy faces that seemed practically identical.

I suppose you can't read too much into the feedback report at this stage? I'd say 90% of mine were in the middle, then a few to the right and a few to the left of the circles.
They all look like they are exhausted and want to go home asap imo😂

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021

The one they used for winter was super time pressured and used these e-fit type figures that were creepy and low-quality. Was impossible lol

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
They all look like they are exhausted and want to go home asap imo😂
Don't even get me started on that one at the end either, I gave up after 10 minutes 😂 There's obviously some rationale/science behind it, but it amuses me that a firm is going to potentially pay someone an NQ salary of £110,000 based on how quickly they popped balloons.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre- I am preparing for an interview and I'm wondering if 3min30 is too long for the 'Tell me about yourself' question? thanks!
Possibly not too long but it depends how much you are trying to get in there. I would try to have three key points you want to highlight in a question like this rather than it being a descriptive story of your journey to this point. Make the three points or themes the most interesting or relevant parts of your experiences/interests/motivations.

77777law

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 22, 2023
Possibly not too long but it depends how much you are trying to get in there. I would try to have three key points you want to highlight in a question like this rather than it being a descriptive story of your journey to this point. Make the three points or themes the most interesting or relevant parts of your experiences/interests/motivations.
Okay noted, thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Hi, any idea on how to approach the 'what is your biggest failure' question? I am struggling to think of a solid answer. Thanks!
Try and think of it another way - often getting away from the very negative language of the question helps you identify something appropriate.

For instance, what has been your biggest learning when something didn't go to plan? If you focus more on the recovery from the failure, and the positives that come from that, you will usually find something appropriate.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.