TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
I read on here that some people have had feedback from firms on 'how do you differentiate yourself from other applicants' questions where they've said it's not sufficient to speak about skills that you've developed and how they would be applicable to the role (makes sense, but also explains why I've had trouble with this question haha). I've tried to think more about intrinsic traits I have rather than skills, like curiosity for example. Is that a good way of going about it or is there a better approach? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
Which firms asked this question?

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
My law apps were to BCLP (god save me), Travers, Fieldfisher, Clarion, Withers, Mishcon, & Farrers (Can you tell I like private client work lol) - despite how bad a rep BCLP has I've had a ton of great experiences with the firm and love working in CRE so sad I didn't get that 😭

My non-law apps were to PwC Audit, Savills & Knight Frank - I have ACs for all of these but dropped PwC on assessment centre day because their wage is less than I make now in a call centre which is CRIMINAL 😭😭😭
What’s the BCLP rep?! I thought it was quite an interesting firm that I missed out on applying for. The firms I’ve heard “bad rep” about is Slaughters, Kirkland, and Travers. Then again every firm has a bad quality about it. Also some of the complaints make me laugh. The pay complaint in particular.

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024
What does going for drinks with partners/associates after the VS have to do with it? I, and several others, were invited to the pub by our respective Associates/Partners at the end of the VS because we made the effort to get to know our supervisor and were personable, not because we knew some secret 'white person' handshake. Have you considered that the firm wanted to hire people who make an effort and are proactive, rather than look to pin responsibility on other people?
Why was the white person part necessary my bro🤣what’s w all this racial aggression

Reactions: s2203 and ab01

SaLM

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2024
what's the tea with Travers, I thought they were ok????

If you want some info on BCLP just head to rollonfriday - it's suggested the firm has a bad culture and they're retaining like 4 trainees out of a cohort of 14 suggesting financial difficulties - I did a AC with them in August and honestly everyone was really nice, the more research I did the more I found interest in their work and I did like them - but they didn't like me 😭
Yeah I've really liked every interaction I've had with the firm and all the work they do tbh but the horror stories from RoF and trainee counts paint a pretty bleak picture 💀

As for travers there's supposedly a pretty big firing of people in PE/Tax/Pensions and a lot of partners leaving 😢

Last edited:
Reactions: AB

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
what's the tea with Travers, I thought they were ok????

If you want some info on BCLP just head to rollonfriday - it's suggested the firm has a bad culture and they're retaining like 4 trainees out of a cohort of 14 suggesting financial difficulties - I did a AC with them in August and honestly everyone was really nice, the more research I did the more I found interest in their work and I did like them - but they didn't like me 😭
Travers was about diversity. This claim about their culture should be taken very lightly. But a close friend informed me about what they heard about the culture and former employees experiences.

I digged through glassdoor and there were a few comments about this, in particular r*cism some employees claimed to experience. I also researched their diversity stats and it was quite low. For the trainees taken in and kept on post qualification - I suggest reading their reports from the last few years.

Again I dunno what to make of it. I quite liked the sound of the work they do and the opportunities they have. I also have a friend who’s beginning training with them in the next year who quite enjoys what they do and the cohort they’ll be working with. But it doesn’t really address their potential internal issues with “r*cism”/diversity. I’m sure it’s an issue many firms have which is a lack of ethnic minorities signed on/staying on, and the isolation they tend to feel.

Last edited:

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    What does going for drinks with partners/associates after the VS have to do with it? I, and several others, were invited to the pub by our respective Associates/Partners at the end of the VS because we made the effort to get to know our supervisor and were personable, not because we knew some secret 'white person' handshake. Have you considered that the firm wanted to hire people who make an effort and are proactive, rather than look to pin responsibility on other people?
    Your comment was not necessary - Bolder.

From my own personal experience, many VS candidates are proactive and “do make an effort”, unfortunately because they are of a BAME or minority ethnic background, many partners and associates turn a blind eye and will only consider fellow “white counterparts”. FACTS!

There are many partners in elite law firms who sadly are quite narrow minded, and do not hold a “diverse mindset” shall I say the least.

Out of interest - did you secure that TC offer after a few beers?

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

aniraz

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Your comment was not necessary - Bolder.

From my own personal experience, many VS candidates are proactive and “do make an effort”, unfortunately because they are of a BAME or minority ethnic background, many partners and associates turn a blind eye and will only consider fellow “white counterparts”. FACTS!

There are many partners in elite law firms who sadly are quite narrow minded, and do not hold a “diverse mindset” shall I say the least.

It's also interesting because a lot of candidates may not feel comfortable going to a pub due to religious reasons, and therefore miss out on 'networking'. This is something I've heard from qualified solicitors also. Another point I've seen mentioned on the forum about being a minority and reaching 'final round' or getting on the vac scheme for firms with bad reputations like Slaughters further proves the points made by others imo - in my experience, firms like Slaughters 'show' diversity by inviting higher numbers of diverse candidates to AC or vac scheme, but then the actual characteristics of those who are offered a TC are very different...

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    It's also interesting because a lot of candidates may not feel comfortable going to a pub due to religious reasons, and therefore miss out on 'networking'. This is something I've heard from qualified solicitors also. Another point I've seen mentioned on the forum about being a minority and reaching 'final round' or getting on the vac scheme for firms with bad reputations like Slaughters further proves the points made by others imo - in my experience, firms like Slaughters 'show' diversity by inviting higher numbers of diverse candidates to AC or vac scheme, but then the actual characteristics of those who are offered a TC are very different...
    falling into the category of people who choose not to drink, this is a massive worry for me yk I always think about these massive socials they have and how it’ll actually affect my chances to network 😭😭

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    Great points! To elaborate further, I recently graduated from Cambridge university, also I have been private schooled too - however, I do not see myself as more capable than someone who is of a BAME background.

I know many of my friends who are of a BAME background unfortunately were ghosted in rooms full of partners and associates when they attended ACs or legal events at university. Partners would only speak to people of their choice, and I did call out a partner because of his actions, of why he spoke to me and not my friend.

I agree, Slaughters is a firm known for this. I completed a VS with them, and most of the people on the scheme were white. Also, in terms of their associates and partners they are all white coloured to say the least lol!

However, I do know currently there is 1 Asian and 1 Black trainee.. who they would push in front to show they are very “diverse” although that is not the case!

Despite some trainees may be of a BAME background at these firms, when the time comes to being promoted or being in important client meetings, they are the ones hidden in the back, whereas their white colleagues are pushed in front! I have spoken to many qualified associates and trainees at legal fairs to know this!!!

It’s absolutely ridiculous! But I guess the “legal sector” will always remain for the elite, despite the attempts of law firms saying they are becoming “very diverse”!!’

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
    Jan 2, 2024
    Hey everyone!

I have received an invite to Addleshaw Goddard 's (AG 's) assessment centre (AC).

I was wondering if anyone had any insights or tips on preparing for it. I am incredibly nervous as it is the first AC I have secured.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)
    Congrats on the AC! I've sent you a DM with some insight and general info from my experience :D

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Great points! To elaborate further, I recently graduated from Cambridge university, also I have been private schooled too - however, I do not see myself as more capable than someone who is of a BAME background.

I know many of my friends who are of a BAME background unfortunately were ghosted in rooms full of partners and associates when they attended ACs or legal events at university. Partners would only speak to people of their choice, and I did call out a partner because of his actions, of why he spoke to me and not my friend.

I agree, Slaughters is a firm known for this. I completed a VS with them, and most of the people on the scheme were white. Also, in terms of their associates and partners they are all white coloured to say the least lol!

However, I do know currently there is 1 Asian and 1 Black trainee.. who they would push in front to show they are very “diverse” although that is not the case!

Despite some trainees may be of a BAME background at these firms, when the time comes to being promoted or being in important client meetings, they are the ones hidden in the back, whereas their white colleagues are pushed in front! I have spoken to many qualified associates and trainees at legal fairs to know this!!!

It’s absolutely ridiculous! But I guess the “legal sector” will always remain for the elite, despite the attempts of law firms saying they are becoming “very diverse”!!’
    Like what you’ve said. Super interesting. Are there any firms you think have “worked well” with diversity? From your experiences and friends of course.

From what I’ve gathered the firms with bigger cohorts and “reputation” tend to do better. In terms of having a good amount and a strong approach for wellbeing.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.