TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    Hogan Lovells rejection post-AC😭 I don’t know what’s wrong with me
    Despite my best efforts, it seems like I consistently struggle to advance past this particular stage in the recruitment process. Every time, I go in feeling prepared and come out thinking I've done okay, only to be met with disappointment.
    I can't help but feel a bit lost as to how I can improve or what it is that I'm missing.
    Is there a consistent theme to your feedback calls?

Reactions: newtothis

aa1

Standard Member
    Mar 8, 2021
    Hi guys. Hope you’re all well! Does anybody have any tips for fact finding exercises. How would you phrase questions around current / past litigation and negative press in a professional manner? Thank you!

aspiringsolicitor1234

Oct 23, 2023
    Hogan Lovells pfo post-AC :(
    Really love the firm and am involved in their Lift Off scheme so was hoping for a better outcome, but it was my first AC so onwards and upwards I guess
    really sorry to hear this, massive congrats for having even got an AC though! do you by any chance know whether they are running more ACs or whether they have sent out all the invites?

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Is there a consistent theme to your feedback calls?
    It appears that my weakness has consistently been the case study interviews, though I believe I managed to navigate the one for HL quite well. Conversely, the situational interview was challenging since it was a new experience for me. I aimed for a structured approach, yet found myself rambling slightly despite my best efforts. The big problem is that I consistently reach the assessment centre stage and they reject me after that. It prompts me to wonder if the issue might lie with me...

Many people who make it to assessment centres often secure at least a vacation scheme. It's not a lot to ask for; it's just two weeks of work experience.
    None of my ACs were perfect, but I thought they were good enough to get a vacation scheme 😫 i don’t know what to dooo

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    It appears that my weakness has consistently been the case study interviews, though I believe I managed to navigate the one for HL quite well. Conversely, the situational interview was challenging since it was a new experience for me. I aimed for a structured approach, yet found myself rambling slightly despite my best efforts. The big problem is that I consistently reach the assessment centre stage and they reject me after that. It prompts me to wonder if the issue might lie with me...

Many people who make it to assessment centres often secure at least a vacation scheme. It's not a lot to ask for; it's just two weeks of work experience.
    None of my ACs were perfect, but I thought they were good enough to get a vacation scheme 😫 i don’t know what to dooo
    are you signed up with any mentoring schemes, like RARE or aspiring solcitiors? often you can connect with future trainees and they can help run an interview with you

tcla also offer running mock interviews

Reactions: legalgrinch

s2203

Star Member
    Mar 28, 2023

Honestly, this was something I struggled with a lot. During my Slaughters interview last cycle, I found it difficult to defend my point when the Partner kept questioning my stance on the case study. It made me quite nervous and in the end I ended up agreeing with the Partner (which I shouldn’t have done, as they want you to consider both points and defend your initial opinion).

I believe, ultimately, case study interviews are down to both your commercial awareness AND your knowledge of the firm. Since the Slaughters interview, I was able to perform well at case study exercises by considering other commercial stories and how it is affecting the one I am discussing. I then link it back to the firm and how It can relate. I also just remain confident in my own opinion and try not to get thrown off by the Partner.

Just practice with some news stories from the FT or the Economist for an hour a week, it truly helps! You’ve been smashing it this cycle with ACs and I have no doubt you’ll secure a VS offer! Best of luck :) xx

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    really sorry to hear this, massive congrats for having even got an AC though! do you by any chance know whether they are running more ACs or whether they have sent out all the invites?
    The final date available for scheduling my AC was February 20th, but I'm not sure if they've already reached capacity for that date or if they plan to organise a second set of ACs

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    For those who are still waiting for W&C post-app (of which I am one), I honestly would not worry or consider it a PFO.

I got to the AC last year and didn’t hear about a VI until the end of February and didn’t get an AC offer until the start of April. It then took them over a month to communicate the outcome to me.

I think they’re just slow at processing compared to other firms (or perhaps they have a lot more applicants, I’m not too sure). All in all though, you’re still in the race! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.