TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Is it a crazy idea to graduate and just spend the year focusing on VS and TC applications? lol

I feel like preparing for an AC, as well as the sheer volume of applications I could write without any academic commitments would help me immensely.

Reactions: kmo20 and Sharon Wu

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Is it a crazy idea to graduate and just spend the year focusing on VS and TC applications? lol

I feel like preparing for an AC, as well as the sheer volume of applications I could write without any academic commitments would help me immensely.
    a lot of people after graduating do this for winter schemes

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022

a lot of people after graduating do this for winter schemes
    yeah i second this, a couple friends that graduated same time as me (sept) either worked part time or didn't work at all and only applied (whereas I worked full time). they were both successful (one tc other ended up getting a non law grad scheme)! makes me sometimes question if i made the right choice choosing to work full time. but i do really like this role so im glad i got the experience (even though i haven't been able to speak about it at interviews yet!). it is tough balancing apps and working (i'm struggling with it more so than at uni personally) but it does fill up your time, i think i would've gone a bit insane not having anything to do but apps

Reactions: Apple

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021

Honestly, I would strongly advise against this strategy.

I know how time consuming the process is and the amount of time you want to dedicate to it, but the issue will be having a huge gap on your CV. If you get to AC interviews and they see you’re not currently employed after leaving uni, they may question that. If you say you’re spending the year solely focused on applications, I think they’d regard that as a poor use of time management/ability to balance various responsibilities when there will be plenty of others coping with applications, jobs, uni etc.

I also think you’d be incredibly bored and lose motivation. I think spending 4/5 months solid writing applications would be a drag. I think any form of employment/voluntary work is a better option :)

Have just seen @futuretrainee2023’s comment though and do feel it could probably work with winter schemes. Any grad jobs are competitive these days and if you say you’re actively looking but are also balancing apps, I reckon that’s fine. If you had an AC in March/April though and hadn’t been doing anything bar applications for 8 months, I’m less sure!

BolderBlackPrincess

Dec 16, 2023

Might be a negative to not be doing something that year. Many might view this as not being pro-active, although perhaps this is only relevant to the more competitive firms.

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022

I know how time consuming the process is and the amount of time you want to dedicate to it, but the issue will be having a huge gap on your CV. If you get to AC interviews and they see you’re not currently employed after leaving uni, they may question that. If you say you’re spending the year solely focused on applications, I think they’d regard that as a poor use of time management/ability to balance various responsibilities when there will be plenty of others coping with applications, jobs, uni etc.

I also think you’d be incredibly bored and lose motivation. I think spending 4/5 months solid writing applications would be a drag. I think any form of employment/voluntary work is a better option :)

Have just seen @futuretrainee2023’s comment though and do feel it could probably work with winter schemes. Any grad jobs are competitive these days and if you say you’re actively looking but are also balancing apps, I reckon that’s fine. If you had an AC in March/April though and hadn’t been doing anything bar applications for 8 months, I’m less sure!
    This is incorrect actually. They will never ask why you have a gap. Once you pass the app stage, your work experience is irrelevant until they ask you competency questions during the interview e.g. tell me when you worked in a team and then you can draw on one of your work experience or even at university. They will never ask at interview stage especially when they know you just recently graduated, as to why you have a “gap”. What you can do to bridge that gap though after graduation is attending open days and virtual events to put in the work experience section. A lot of firms value this proactive approach to attending legal-specific events, especially when you’re doing master classes or workshops at such firms.

Legalregal

Valued Member
    Jan 13, 2021
    What's the contingency plan for people who have already graduated (and are currently doing the PGDL) and haven't secured the TC yet? I have no idea what I'll be doing after my PGDL. Tried my luck with the Civil Service but they received 60,000 apps. Is anyone in the same position?
    A year paralegalling can do wonders for apps, especially in a corporate team. Just don't take your eye off the ball!

BolderBlackPrincess

Dec 16, 2023
    This is incorrect actually. They will never ask why you have a gap. Once you pass the app stage, your work experience is irrelevant until they ask you competency questions during the interview e.g. tell me when you worked in a team and then you can draw on one of your work experience or even at university. They will never ask at interview stage especially when they know you just recently graduated, as to why you have a “gap”. What you can do to bridge that gap though after graduation is attending open days and virtual events to put in the work experience section. A lot of firms value this proactive approach to attending legal-specific events, especially when you’re doing master classes or workshops at such firms.
    Work experience is most definitely not irrelevant. Many interviews are blind these days, so when they ask you why law/to introduce yourself, they will pick up that you are missing any activity post-grad. Equally, the gap on the application screening itself will be looked down upon. I'm sure there are many people who are hired with these gaps, but they are the exception, not the rule. If you aren't working (even a part time job at the pub), say you're going travelling instead, but if they think you're spending a year sitting at home sending off applications and messing around whilst others are sending off applications whilst still doing something beneficial/enriching, the former will lose out in 9/10 cases.

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    Work experience is most definitely not irrelevant. Many interviews are blind these days, so when they ask you why law/to introduce yourself, they will pick up that you are missing any activity post-grad. Equally, the gap on the application screening itself will be looked down upon. I'm sure there are many people who are hired with these gaps, but they are the exception, not the rule. If you aren't working (even a part time job at the pub), say you're going travelling instead, but if they think you're spending a year sitting at home sending off applications and messing around whilst others are sending off applications whilst still doing something beneficial/enriching, the former will lose out in 9/10 cases.
    I finished uni last year in June. A couple of days after I started a graduate internship which finished at the end of September. After that, I attended three open days between October and December. Then in January I started the PGDL. Would you say the lack of work experience between October and January would be seen as negative?

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Thanks, I actually never thought about that you know👌 I meant in terms of jobs, will people be going into a legal or non legal one?
    A slight tip is that non-legal work is seen just as good, perhaps even better than legal work. Firms value non legal work experience so don't overlook it because it might be one of the things that actually helps you stand out from the application crowd. More than half with have paralegal and legal secretary experience which is amazing but I feel like also having something else will look good especially in terms of transferable skills. If you have another passion then you could also look at roles in that field too because it also gives you more to talk about on applications. Many solicitors/trainees/solicitors are career changers and people who didn't even do Law as an LLB so don't pass on non-legal experience. As long as you can answer the question of 'Why Law?' - I really believe that you will be fine without too much legal experience :)

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023

Have just seen @futuretrainee2023’s comment though and do feel it could probably work with winter schemes. Any grad jobs are competitive these days and if you say you’re actively looking but are also balancing apps, I reckon that’s fine. If you had an AC in March/April though and hadn’t been doing anything bar applications for 8 months, I’m less

I think there is merit to both points. On one hand, many firms are CV blind, or simply wont particularly care about the gap. But it is very possible some firms will. I'm pretty sure having a look through the premium database there are some interview where a gap is questioned, but it could be tactfully avoided, or much simpler, preparing a rational explanation :)

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I think it’s very much firm dependent. I did have a friend who applied earlier this cycle who took time off to work on apps after not getting a paralegal job and they got queried about this in an interview.

Of course you can attend open days/do virtual experiences etc and those proactive responses will be viewed positively, but I also think some firms wouldn’t take too well to seeing you taking the application season as effectively a full-time job when others are managing other priorities.

I imagine @Jessica Booker may be more informed to offer advice on this as may be misinterpreting, but just basing it off a friend in a similar predicament :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

adrk1234

Feb 10, 2024
    I have just recieved another rejection after the Video Interview stage. It is getting very disheartning as each one I feel like I am improving/getting better at them. Does anyone have any tips or is able to message me on the best tactics to ace these. I try and sound releaxed/normal but when doing them everything feels so forced. Thank you and good luck everyone

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.